News:

• March 28, 2024, 10:53:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Walt Menges - 1940-2017  (Read 1236 times)

Offline De Hill

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Walt Menges - 1940-2017
« on: April 20, 2021, 08:12:10 PM »
Walt Menges, of Phoenix, Arizona passed away at home on April 17, 2017. Walt was born in LaPorte, Indiana, and came to Phoenix  with his family in 1958. Walt was a Vietnam veteran, and served in the U.S. Army Special forces as a Medic. After his Army service he worked as a surgical technician at the Good Samaritan hospital while attending Arizona State University. He worked for many years as a salesman in information technology.

After retirement he worked  as a volunteer CASA for children in Maricopa County, Arizona.
CASA stands for Court Appointed Special Advocate. These volunteers seek to investigate the best outcome for each abused and neglected child with the goal of finding a loving, safe, and permanent home. Walt considered
CASA as his second career.

He is survived by his wife Patricia, his daughter Tracy, and extended family. Walt was a devoted and loving husband and father and is missed beyond expression.

Walt had an insatiable curiosity for all things in life, and never met a stranger. He loved people and Airedales. 

He was a lifetime enthusiast for model airplanes and was a fixture at the Vintage Stunt Championships held annually in Tucson.  Walt designed and funded the " Keeper of the Flame" award given annually at the VSC.

Godspeed, Walt.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 02:53:49 PM by De Hill »
De Hill

Offline De Hill

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Walt Menges - 1940-2017
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2021, 10:51:43 AM »
I received a nice message from Jim Hoffman yesterday. Here is what he had to say about Walt.

"I too am a CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocate)  and was the one who put Walt onto CASA after he retired. He served for maybe a decade and had perhaps a dozen cases, some very difficult.

Walt had amassed the largest model airplane paraphernalia collection I'd ever seen. His wife contacted me maybe 6 months after Walt died and asked for assistance to dispose of the stuff. I spent the better part of a year doing so. I catalogued about 500 engines, many rare and collector's items. There were probably 400 kits, thousands of propellers, a massive amount of balsa wood, control handles, cables, paints, etc.

I sold much of it on Stunt Hangar, including about 1/3 of the motors. I found a fellow who is a big time seller on ebay, and sold him the balance of the motors, and the entirety of the kits.

His widow Patricia Menges got all the proceeds which was a very sizeable amount of money. I cringe at the $ that Walt spent simply to own this stuff. I hope he got some pleasure fondling it, he did not build or fly much. It was quite an adventure to liquidate his collection and some nice stories emerged."

Jim Hoffman

De Hill

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here