News:

• May 02, 2024, 01:17:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Very sad news Allen Brickhaus  (Read 36247 times)

Offline Norm Faith Jr.

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • The physics of flight releases the soul.
Re: Very sad news Allen Brickhaus
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2013, 07:40:11 PM »
Good-bye Allen...Peace.
Circlepilot   AMA9376

Offline Phil Spillman

• Captain
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2013, 08:24:08 PM »
Allen  has been my friend and confidant since 1991! That's awhile ago but as of now it's only been an instant. He has been very helpful over the years to many of us in many ways. His quiet and level headed manner  was truly appreciated. His writings were always spot on and his compliments were always appreciated. I enjoyed his humor and his company. My prayers are for him and  Kathy in this time of terrible loss.

Rest in Peace my Dear Friend,

Phil Spillman

Phil Spillman

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2013, 08:32:24 PM »
I am shocked as are so many. I remember the first time I met Allen we were at the Pizza King in Muncie, it was like we'd been friends for a lifetime. I didn't get to know him well but wish I had. Ironically I just started a Legacy build.

Godspeed Allen Brickhaus, you were a sterling example of your Lord Jesus, now you are in His presence.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline frank williams

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2013, 08:53:51 PM »
I am in shock.  Allen was a friend for 30+ years, although we only saw each other one week a year at the Nats.
He will be missed greatly.
My prayers to his family.
Frank

Offline Alan Buck

• Commander
« Reply #54 on: December 28, 2013, 09:09:58 PM »
the stunt world and c/l world  lost a great person
today GOD BE WITH YOU ALLEN  RIP HEARTS AND
PRAYS  for your family
ALAN E BUCK

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
« Reply #55 on: December 28, 2013, 09:11:35 PM »
Truly sad news, he will be missed by all of us who new him.
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2013, 09:24:31 PM »
This is is really becoming tough to take. It seems like a week doesn't go by where we don't get some bad news about the passing of one of us. I fully realized it is a result of our demographic but, it is still difficult to deal with. I guess this is just going to have to be the way it is.
There isn't much that can be done about losing so many, but what runs thru my mind is what becomes of what is left behind. In some cases, the remaining material finds its way to those that can use it. In too many cases, what remains ends up in the dump. The time to plan for this is while we are still functioning. How many people know what you want done with your stuff when your time comes?

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #57 on: December 28, 2013, 09:35:22 PM »
God keep you Allen,

Here's a guy we could all try harder to emulate.  He was always supportive of others efforts and went out of his way to acknowledge your accomplishments. He nurtured stunt from small 1/2 a trainers in the hands of children through to designing and publishing excellent airplanes capable of competition at the highest levels.  

Let's look at his writing, he's been the on scene reporter for Nats News, putting out daily reports with photos during the Nats, there's his stunt news columns always full of stuff from around the district, there's his flying models column always of interest to beginners through to experts. Just his efforts here would be LOTS to fill.... But there's more.

He published many many designs, some original, some historically significant. All were a big undertaking and always motivating...  One of his articles left you hungry for the building bench!  

Contest efforts, while I don't know what went on closer to his home, I saw his efforts at the Nationals.  He made sure the beginners and intermediates had a TREMENDOUS experience at the nationals.  He had special trophies, large piles of awesome prizing to pick from,and he had lots of support.  This too represents a significant effort!  

Flying!  He loved to fly! And fly everything from profiles to full tilt super stunters!   Allen was a modellers modeller, he could design build and Fly!  On top of all that he wrote about it all so we could all see and learn from the things he was discovering.

You'll notice that Al didn't engage in the petty bickering that flares up on this site.  He would rather not lower himself to such things but rather encourage change through positive comments. A gentleman, this is how I will remember Allen, a gentleman, a modeller, an inspiration to do more things for our hobby.  He left a big hole to fill, it will take many to replace his efforts.  Let's honour him by ensuring the columns continue, the Nats is well covered, the designs keep coming out and that we conduct ourselves as if he's watching!  He will be!

Good bye my friend!

Bruce

Couldn't have stated it any better Bruce.

Let's also not forget about his efforts with helping out on Brodaks every year. I looked forward to seeing Allen and talking stunt (and occasionally music) with him every year and looked forward to seeing him again next year.

RIP Allen.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 09:57:03 PM by Matt Colan »
Matt Colan

Offline Steve Hines

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #58 on: December 28, 2013, 10:59:56 PM »
Oh my.. I love you Allen more than words can ever express trust me I don't know how to fly with out your support. I'm litterly in tears.. You always helped me and gave me tips on flying you will be missed so greatly more than you will ever know. I never would of dreamed this would happen in 1,000 years. I want to see you again..I wish I dident live so far away. I wish I could of saw you at least one more time..<3 I love you and rest in peace.

-Samantha.. :-[

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2013, 11:34:10 PM »
Allen Brickhaus was one of those few people you meet in life where each individual who had the privilege to know him felt that they had a very special relationship, peculiar only to them, no matter how long that association.  That relationship was absolutely genuine and sincere.  He touched many of us in many different ways.  I will miss him more than any words I can express.  Rest in peace my friend.

Keith

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2013, 11:39:18 PM »
Devastating news. If you knew Allen, think back and try to find even one time when he was not outwardly friendly, supportive, helpful, consoling, jovial, and happy around you as the situation required. Closest thing to an angel that I know of on this earth was Allen.

The really bad losses are felt when you realize that you will never on this earth see a person again, and that thought is so crushing that you just can't fathom going on without them. I know that those of us who knew and loved Allen are feeling this way today. The thing to hold on to is the fact that Allen would not have wanted us to feel so crushed; he'd want us to rejoice in the fact that we knew him, rejoice in the fact that he flew model airplanes with us and rejoice in the fact that he is now with his Lord. Those who knew Allen also knew of his deep and abiding faith in Jesus Christ. His spirit will always be with us, looking down from above.

It's interesting to note that Allen liked to fly airplanes with transparent finishes. Allen's feelings and thoughts about others were just as transparent. We could all see into Allen's heart and know that he truly cared about us and loved us despite our flaws. That is the measure of a blessed man.

Godspeed Allen Brickhaus

Bob Hunt    

Amen, Bob.

I can only second an earlier suggestion that those who can do so visit Allen's facebook page and read the outpouring of love, memories and expressions of heartfelt regret from his many former music students in band and chorus in Golconda.  This was a man who made lifelong impressions on young minds which made them better adults...heck...just plain better people.  People more than willing to wear their hearts on their sleeves and say thanks to a special guy.  Reading their thoughts about Allen has brought tears to my eyes several times today.

There are going to be a lot of toy airplane get togethers in our collective futures that just won't quite be the same.

Ted Fancher

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #61 on: December 29, 2013, 02:26:14 AM »
    I have to, like many already have, also use the word shocked, and it's not quite adequate. I can't believe I have lost my brother Darryl. It's kind of an inside joke between us, and some of you out there know the joke. There was a family of brothers on the old Bob Newhart Show that all had the name Darryl. I have known Allen I think going back to my first stunt contests back in 1987 and on at least 4 occasions some one has come up to me thinking that I was Allen Brickhaus, but I don't think anyone ever introduced themselves to him thinking he was me!. I told him that was easy to understand because I was much better looking than he was! It even happened one time with someone that was not a modeler. It did happen at a model airplane airshow at Buder Park. I was getting ready for a stunt demo flight, and I heard someone on the other side of the fence yelling "Allen!" I thought to myself that surely it was someone looking for another Allen. I turned around, and this gentleman was right at the fence, looking right at me. I smiled and shook his hand and asked if he thought I was Allen Brickhaus and he smiled and said yes. I informed him that I was not, and he apologized profusely but I told him it was not a problem and that I actually knew Allen. It turned out that it was an old college buddy of his who had not seen Allen for years. I used to remember that guy's name, but not any more. Whenever Allen and I greeted each other, it was "Hey Darryl!" Kind of like we were twin sons of different mothers.
    I also am among the legion of people that had received a lot of help from Allen from the Beginner stage right up to the Expert ranks. I felt I had "arrived" at the Expert level when I won a contest, finally besting Allen by one slim point. I would have hated to have paid Allen's phone bill through the years, if everyone he talked to spent as much time on the phone with him as I have over the years. I also had just talked to him on the phone in the last week or so about some engines my Son wanted from Byron Barker's estate, and we also talked a lot about beginners. He kept me posted on the group of kids he has been working with in his area that he called his Patton Street Pirates. Look for a column about that in the next Flying Models. And I had just written a piece for him for his column in the December issue about the KidVenture program at Oshkosh. I also just got an email from him with his just refinished Olympus. And I will never forget all the kindness, friendship,help and encouragement he has shown my son Sean since he was knee high. This sad news will probably hit Sean very hard.
    And Kieth has made a very valid observation about Allen and his relationships with people. I feel that way also, and I do feel like I have lost another brother. It's going to take a lot of shoulders to take over and carry the load that Allen has been carrying for a long time. His physical presence will be missed, but his spirit will be at control line circles all over the country.
     So long Darryl, I'll see you later sometime.

Dan McEntee

AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #62 on: December 29, 2013, 07:04:48 AM »
Allen Brickhaus  Has passed. He helped many people.

https://www.facebook.com/allen.brickhaus

Allen passed from a massive heart attack. He will be missed.
AMA 12366

Offline Jim Hoffman

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2013, 08:30:41 AM »
attached are some photos of Allen at VSC. 

I will miss my old pal

Jim Hoffman

Offline ron young

• 2014 Supporters
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #64 on: December 29, 2013, 08:35:08 AM »
   Allen will be mssed by all    condlences to his family and friends.
Ron Young

Offline builditright

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • So happy to be alive!
« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2013, 09:08:18 AM »
Having spoken with Allen just the night before truly breaks my heart to hear this.  :'(
I will definetly miss my Friend & Brother in Christ. My sincerest condolences to Kathy and the rest of Allen's family members.
Thank you and God Bless
Walter
aka/ builditright

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • "Never fly faster than your shoulder angel"
« Reply #66 on: December 29, 2013, 10:03:54 AM »
Thank you Allen.
Though it was ridiculously windy today, and nothing seemed to work, we flew our Legacies to honor a man that truly has left a real legacy.

Que o Senhor te abençoe

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

"There's no try. Do or Do not." - Master Yoda

"Wealth and fame, he's ignorant
Action is his reward, look out
Here comes Marcus, man..."

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #67 on: December 29, 2013, 11:33:59 AM »
I got this picture of Allen flying at the St Louis contest this past Sept

(send me a PM if you want the High Resolution version of this picture)

Fred
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 03:36:38 PM by Fred Cronenwett »
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Gordan Delaney

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #68 on: December 29, 2013, 12:01:07 PM »
We will all miss Allen. Our prayers and thoughts will be with Kathy and family through this time of sadness.

Your Friend
Gordy

Offline Dalton Hammett

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #69 on: December 29, 2013, 12:04:32 PM »
My thoughts and prayers are for Allen's family but this is a great personal loss for all of us.

Dalton
Dalton Hammett  
Albion, Pa.
Bean Hill Flyers
AMA  29918

Offline Andrew Saunders

• Commander
  • 2013 Nats
« Reply #70 on: December 29, 2013, 01:14:00 PM »
 He was working with a group of kids that called themselves the Patton Street Pirates. My greatest concern is who is gonna pick up where Allen left off? Who is gonna continue to teach them? If i had the money and support I would be glad and honored to move down there and work with the kids. Those kids are gonna be crushed. Allen meant allot to them and i know those kids meant allot to Allen. We cant let those kids be left not knowing how to fly. They are the future of control line. Wish there was something i could do.

Offline Chuck Feldman

• Captain
« Reply #71 on: December 29, 2013, 01:18:49 PM »
I am numb!  Allen and I where in contact everyday. Phone or email. When he travelled to Tucson he would call me and I would get the latest weather information for him by looking on  Google earth. As the days and weeks pass I will miss him. Gods speed Allen.

Chuck Feldman
Chuck Feldman
AMA 15850

Offline John Sunderland

• Captain
« Reply #72 on: December 29, 2013, 02:26:00 PM »
 :'(  Allen was a good friends to me always and I wish I had been able to spend more time with him. He taught me a lot. We worked together for modeling causes and events and he was just a genuine pal. A genuine loss for us all. Very sad.

Offline goozgog

• Captain
« Reply #73 on: December 29, 2013, 02:51:02 PM »
  My thoughts of Allen are at Brodak's Fly-In.
I am just one of hundreds of unknown people
who shown up there each year to compete.
Sometimes I have interrupted Allen as he was
rushing past to ask him a (probably) silly question.
Allen would stop, smile at me and then , patiently
give me the answer as if I was the most important
person at the contest. It made an impression on me.

Allen Brickhaus was a very decent, kind , friendly
industrious and generous person.
We don't have enough people like him.
He will be badly missed.
Keith Morgan

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #74 on: December 29, 2013, 04:54:50 PM »
Here is Allen on his local TV station talking about a scholarship program set up in his sisters name.

I first met Allen at a Atlanta contest around 1980 when we both flew advanced.
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #75 on: December 29, 2013, 05:00:21 PM »
Services for Allen Brickhaus:
 Visitation 1/1/14 from 5-9 pm
 Funeral 1/2/14 at 10 am. Both at Aly Funeral Home in Eddyville.
 Interment following funeral in Perryville, MO.
AMA 12366

Offline Joe Peters

• New Pilot
« Reply #76 on: December 29, 2013, 05:01:59 PM »
Allen is and always will be remembered as a friend to all, even to those that infrequently passed his way.  A kind word, constructive criticism, a suggestion, and his smile that was always there.  My last memory.........as I left for home from the 2013 NATS,,,,,,he embraced me on the L-Pad and told me everything would be OK.  May we all remember his contribution to our special world and the joy he created for many of us.

May the Lord be with you, Allen.

Joe Peters
Joe Peters
AMA 269

Offline Keith Spriggs

• Captain
    • khspriggs
« Reply #77 on: December 29, 2013, 05:17:00 PM »
What a wonderful tribute these messages are......

Offline Jim Lynch

• 2020 supporter
  • New Pilot
« Reply #78 on: December 29, 2013, 05:57:31 PM »
Jo Ann and I are saddened by the death of Allen Brickhaus.  We have lost a dear friend and the control line community has lost a giant.

Godspeed Allen.

Jim & Jo Ann Lynch

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #79 on: December 29, 2013, 06:02:32 PM »
I received a text yesterday afternoon from Eric Viglione that Allen had passed away. To say I was shocked would be an understatement. I wanted to come on here and say something but I couldn't figure out just what I wanted to say.  I sat in mass yesterday afternoon and couldn't stop thinking about what a terrible loss we all have to overcome.  I also couldn't stop thinking about his family and how difficult this will be for them.  My shock and disbelief quickly turned to sadness, much much sadness.  

I was first exposed to Allen's work in 1994 when I won a Buccaneer 740 at the Lubbock Nats.  This was the plane that really got me going.  From there I moved to the Buccaneer 746 on an OPS 40, pipe.  It was the cat's meow!  In 1996 I took that plane to Muncie and I am pretty certain it was there that I met Allen for the first time. What a gentleman and truly genuine guy.  Every year after that at the Nats he was always ready to greet me with a smile and a handshake and something positive to say.  Always with a plane or camera in hand he was either documenting something or flying something or helping someone with something, and no matter what there as always a smile.

As has been said by many and very well put by Bruce P and Bob H Allen and his commitment to our community is going to be missed and rightfully so.  When I woke up this morning it really hit me as to why he will be so missed. Yes he was a great friend, yes he was a genuine person, yes he was positive ALL OF THE TIME! :) But more than all of these things he was truly a man of service.  It is a constant theme among the posts about Allen here and all over facebook he truly served his fellow man and he found Joy in doing so.  This is a rare quality among men today and all across history.  He was one of the rare ones!  It his service towards others that really reaches out touches everyone who comes in contact with him.  The story of him stopping during a rush to get somewhere  to help someone with a question is all too familiar when talking about Allen.  He was a servant to us and Control Line, a servant to his students, a servant to his family, and servant to his wife Kathy.  It has been said on here he was a true believer in Jesus Christ.  Well, he really did live it....

Thank you Allen for all of your work and dedication to CL and your fellow man. I am saddened to think my son wont get to experience one of your Beginner Nats contests.

Thank you again and rest in peace.

Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
    • Fellowship of Christan modelers
« Reply #80 on: December 29, 2013, 06:12:00 PM »
Allen was a brother to me, I will miss him.
Prayers to Kathy, family and friends.

Blessing
Allen

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #81 on: December 29, 2013, 07:15:16 PM »
Allen attended the VSC many times, usually with his friends Charlie Reeves and/or Wes Eakin.  We enjoyed many laughs, including bets (coffee) on who'd-score-what or who'd-crash-during-which-maneuver.  (He usually won.)

I never saw him without a big smile and welcoming word to anyone who approached him.  It won't be the same without him.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Bob Hudak

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #82 on: December 29, 2013, 07:58:36 PM »
Very saddening news. Al was my biggest Hero of Control Line Stunt. Whenever I talked with him at Brodaks I had a notepad in hand because of the wealth of knowledge he would freely give. 2010 was my first year attending Brodaks, I had a profile Legacy 40. I had him sign the wing(I never washed that signature), he then asked me how it flew and I told him of the problems I was having. A few changes were made and that plane took a proud 2nd Place in Beginner.
  Thank You Al as I have told you before you are my Hero of Stunt !
                               Bob

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #83 on: December 29, 2013, 08:45:52 PM »
 I came across this news very late last night and was completely shocked. Losses like this hit hard, and take a while to sink in.

It's difficult to think of things to say, but first are my condolences to Allen's family and close friends.

Like most of us here I started building and flying C/L models in my teens and then gradually got away from it as "life" started to take priority. Back then in my area I only ever had a couple of close buddies that even knew about the existence of the C/L hobby. There were no clubs or "real" hobby shops in my area either, we just figured out what we could on our own. It was a period in my life I will always remember fondly, we had a lot of fun.

Looking back, I guess at the time I lived a big part of the hobby vicariously through the model publications. Because of that I had many "idols" and/or "icons" of the hobby in my own mind from constantly reading and re-reading every good flying model publication I could get my hands on. I don't recall exactly where I first noticed his name, but Allen Brickhaus was one of them that I always paid attention to. I considered him to be one of the "Big Dog's" of the hobby. Allen's "Flying Red Horse" P-63 Kingcobra is still one of my favorite models of all time.

Again like many here, today I could be classified as a C/L "retread". I'm one of those who has returned to the hobby after a long time away from it. I got back into C/L about 2001 or 2002 when I had moved to Minneapolis and found out about the Piston Poppers C/L club. I discovered quickly that I really enjoyed the relaxed company of C/L folks and the genuine friendships that just came naturally and seemed to be as much a part of the hobby as anything.          
 Shortly after getting involved with the Piston Poppers club I started attending some upper Midwest contests. It would have been at either Polk City Iowa or the Sig contest in Montezuma where I first met Allen, probably in '03 or '04.

The first time we met it was just like we'd been old friends all along. That feeling was instant. I've been very fortunate to see Allen at many contests ever since, the last being in St. Louis this past September. Allen was always quick to greet, extremely polite, and genuinely interested in whatever it was I had going on in my modeling, which isn't really anything other than building and flying for fun. It was also immediately apparent that Allen was there to offer help in any way he could. I especially enjoyed his historical knowledge of our hobby. Many times he would request a photo or two of my models and ask about their details. I've never looked for that kind of attention, but I did find it quite gratifying to be acknowledged by a man in the hobby who I'd always considered an icon.

From my earlier years when I'd first noticed Allen's work and then finally meeting him years later and becoming friends, I have always considered Allen a significant pillar of our C/L community. With Allen's sudden and unexpected passing, my hope is that we haven't lost a bit of the foundation.

Thank you Allen, you will be missed.
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline afml

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #84 on: December 29, 2013, 09:05:15 PM »
Here’s another address:
Aly Funeral Home
100 Main Street
Eddyville, Illinois (IL) 62928
(618) 672-4222
Wes

From the Aly Funeral Home Web page:

Aly Funeral Home
Illinois 145, Eddyville, IL

Phone:(618) 672-4222

Allen Brickhaus

3/26/1947 - 12/28/2013
Funeral service will be held 10:00 a.m. on January 2, 2014 at Aly Funeral Home in Eddyville, IL.
Interment will follow at Immanuel Lutheran Cemetery in Perryville, MO.
Visitation will be from 5-9 pm on January 1, 2014 at the funeral home.
Memorials may be made to: American Cancer Society, P.O. Box 22718, Oklahoma City, OK 73123-1718
From the Aly Funeral Home Web Site, one can send a condolence, share images, or order flowers.

http://www.alyfh.com/fullobituaries.aspx

We have lost 4 Skyliner club members in 2013.

Bob Naville
Ken Grasser
Byron Barker

And now, Allen.
A very sad day for the C/L Community.

Wes

Wes Eakin

John Leidle

« Reply #85 on: December 30, 2013, 12:12:55 AM »
  It appears most of you are in shock as am I. I looked over some pictures Allen sent me of the Dutch planes from the '60s just yesterday I had planned  for the 2 of us getting our picture taken in Muncie together with both of us holding our Olympus's . This as you all know will leave a huge void in the hobby.   If you want to say hello to a friend don't hesitate , you might not have tomorrow do say it,, at least some people say this.
    John Leidle                 

Offline SteveMoon

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
    • www.ultrahobbyproducts.com
« Reply #86 on: December 30, 2013, 08:54:42 AM »
As my son Jake and I were driving to New Mexico two days ago I received
a text from Doug that Allen Brickhaus had passed away. I couldn't believe it.
We talked later when I got off the road and he told me what had happened.

All I could think is, what a shame. Allen was a genuinely nice and positive
person. His dedication and tireless promotion of the CL hobby will be greatly
missed. Sad news indeed.

Steve

Offline Dennis Vander Kuur

• Commander
« Reply #87 on: December 30, 2013, 09:59:41 AM »
I was a control line retread 13 years ago trying to get into stunt competition and Allen was always there with advice and a helping hand. We flew and competed in numerous Midwest contests together. He was always gracious whether he won or lost. I received emails from him just a few days ago. His sudden passing is such a shock. My condolences to his grieving family.
DennisV
Dennis L. Vander Kuur
AMA 29292

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #88 on: December 30, 2013, 11:02:14 AM »
Two days have passed since the news of Allen's passing was posted, and yet, the shock of losing one of our  best, has only grown worse. Most times, the passage of time mediates the pain an shock.

Many fine thoughts have been expressed and I can only agree with them.

Allen was a true  believer in our Lord and Savior. he emulated the  behavior of his Savior in life. I expect, if I'm worthy, at our next meeting, he'll be leading a chorus of Angels in heaven, such is his faith.

In the lives of those left behind, there's a void today. God Speed Allen.

John Miller {Big John}
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 11:36:52 AM by John Miller »
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #89 on: December 30, 2013, 01:23:16 PM »
Count myself lucky to have known the man: Allen was one of the good guys.

Dean P.
Dean Pappas

Offline Dale Barry

• New Pilot
« Reply #90 on: December 30, 2013, 04:35:01 PM »
Even after two days it's hard to imagine a world without Allen in it. He's been such a good friend for so long, Derek and I are having a hard time wrapping our brains around it.

Mike Griffin

« Reply #91 on: December 30, 2013, 04:52:08 PM »
I am from Western Kentucky just 25 miles south of Paducah.  Every time I went home for a visit, I would get with Allen and Charlie Reeves at Paducah and do some flying and mostly visit with them.  One time I took my Rayette with me because Allen had talked me into building one (glad he did) and I asked Allen to fly it and see if it need any more tweaking for trim.  The engine quit while Allen had it inverted and he eased her down for a soft landing on the grass circle and there was not a scratch on it, however the sharpend dowel that sat atop the vertical fin had come off and buried itself like an arrow in the grass.  Allen, Charlie and I took a few minutes walking around the circle to see if we could find it to no avail.  I said forget it I can put another one one when I get back to New Orleans, but Allen would not give it up.  He searched and searched for that little piece of dowel for what must have been an hour.  Finally I told him I was going to pee in his fuel if he didnt quit it... this was the kind of person Allen was.  He felt bad because he was flying my plane when it happened and i  could have cared less about that little piece of wood but Allen was determined to find it.  We never did find it but we had a great day just catching up on everything.... just the three of us...Allen Brickhaus, Charlie Reeves and me.  Allen called me on average about twice a week just to talk and he would always start off the conversation by saying "Mr. Griffin.....I am calling to give you your daily dose of harassment."  I cannot believe I will never hear that voice again.  I was blessed to have been a good personal friend of Allen Brickhaus and I cannot tell you what a gaping hole this has left inside of me.  I feel llike a part of me has been ripped away and thrown in some dark void and the rest of me is paralyzed with numbness.

I will miss my friend very very much.

Mike

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #92 on: December 30, 2013, 05:06:46 PM »
I really have nothing to add, I think that everyone has summed it up. It's certainly shocking to me, as Dale says, it's hard to imagine Allen not being around any more.

Brett

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #93 on: December 30, 2013, 06:42:26 PM »
We seem to be punching-out at a rather rapid rate lately.

Here in Tucson, I maintain e-mail and/or phone contact with two others who - if I fail to 'check-in' each morning - will phone the apartment manager (520-293-8635) and ask them to look into apartment #1321....with the provision that they may not like what they find.

Morbid thought, yes....but at the rate we're disappearing it's probably not a bad idea.

I might suggest that others arrange for similar contacts....just in case.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 08:09:02 PM by Mike Keville »
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Don Jenkins

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #94 on: December 30, 2013, 07:07:35 PM »
I am relatively new to the hobby but had the distinct honor of meeting Allen at Joe Nall this past May and again at Brodak's this past June.  A great gentleman that did more for this great hobby than most.  He will be missed.

Don Jenkins

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #95 on: December 30, 2013, 08:53:52 PM »
An old proverb states that it takes a village to raise a child.  I had a really big village, and Allen was one of them.  I knew Allen before I knew his name.  My 4-year old brain could only remember so many names.  But he was one of the people that I knew I could hang out with and talk to  while Dad was flying or doing something else and didnt feel like I was bothering him.  He was always very nice, and he was one of the folks I looked forward to at every contest.

He helped me like he did so many others once I got older and started flying compeditively.  He talked Dad into taking me to the Nat's to fly beginner when I was 14.  That was one of the biggest thrills and greatest adventures that I've had on the contest trail. 

Once I joined the Army,  I saw him a whole lot less, like the rest of the Midwesterners.  That just made it a bigger treat when I did to see them at places like VSC, or when I got the odd chance to go home for a contest there.

The last time I saw Allen was a couple VSCs ago.  I was at Huachuca for MQ1C school, and I flew nights so I was able to make it up to Tucson to fly the contest.  He was in the Army back in the 70s, and we traded a few stories throughout the week.  He especially liked the kilt I wore to the banquet for St Patrick's Day!  I talked to him last a couple weeks ago, as Dad mentioned, about a couple engines that I was interested in out of Byron Barker's estate.

I was nursing myself back to life via a few cups of coffee in preperation for a flight when I read the news about his passing on facebook.  I had to read the memorials posted on his page over and over to get it to sink in.  By the time it did, I was so beside myself that I had to down myself off the flight for safety reasons.

I dont know what else to say.  Allen was one of the most genuinely kind, helpful, friendly people I know.  He is a shining example of why we drive halfway across the country to engage in this trite pastime.  Meeting and visiting with people like him is what keeps me going to contests.  Its going to take a long time before going to a Midwest contest and not seeing him on the field will feel normal.

I pulled a couple pictures off of his facebook page.  For those who didn't know, he was an 02E Trombone Player and Repair Technitian in the Army.  Spent, from what I've heard, most of his time with the 82nd Army Band at Kelly Barracks in Stuttgart, Germany.  Made it to the rank of Sergeant. 

At ease, SGT Brickhaus!

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #96 on: December 31, 2013, 04:29:54 AM »
Allen conversed with all. Moved in all our circles. A universal friend and advocate. Advocate is an inadequate term but words fail me. Humor, fellow feeling. Speaking with Allen always improved my mood. People who I really like when they pass on stay with me. The better I liked them the more frequent our visits. How is it possible to visit and talk with those who have passed on? I have no explanation but I find myself doing it. I expect to visit with Allen often. All of us who frequent this forum have suffered this loss. Whether we knew Allen personally or not. I am glad to say I knew Allen and talked with him often wherever we met. A true humanitarian. Again, an inadequate term. He had the ability to communicate with the best elements of those around him. He brought the best out in people. What's more important than that.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 04:52:30 AM by Dennis Moritz »

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #97 on: December 31, 2013, 08:36:33 AM »
Yes, it has been a couple of days seen I seen that E-Mail and reading all the posts, I wonder if Allen realized how many friends he had.  Especially a furry friend that I would get  onto him about letting her get in  his face.  I call her lightning tongue every so often when people pick her up.  Every contest we attended when Allen was also there, he would grab her first and let her slobber all over his face.   Still tearing up when I think how she probably doesn't know what I am saying when I tell her Allen is gone to a better place. :'(
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #98 on: December 31, 2013, 10:21:40 AM »
Very saddened by the news of Allen's death.  We were blessed to have known and flown with him.

Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

ChrisSarnowski

« Reply #99 on: December 31, 2013, 10:34:26 AM »
Allen was a great fellow. I had met Allen at Brodak's Fly-In about 4 years ago. Always pleasant to talk to and ready to give a helping hand or encouragement when you needed it. He always seemed to enjoy the models that I had with me, for example a Stunt Machine and a Hallmark. This year I had some trouble with an engine and he was there with helpful advice. I can still see him zooming around on a golf cart or holding the microphone at the CD table. Also enjoyed his writings in Flying Models. Such a surprise to hear of his passing. The world is a better place for having had him in it.

-Chris

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here