News:

• March 28, 2024, 10:11:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tony Naccarato - The Real Deal - One of the Very Best.  (Read 1559 times)

Offline Paul Wescott

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Tony Naccarato - The Real Deal - One of the Very Best.
« on: November 10, 2019, 04:01:54 PM »
From Smith Brothers Hobby Center:

It is with heavy hearts, we announce the passing of our friend and colleague, Tony Naccarato.   Tony passed Saturday morning (Nov 9th, 2019) after a long battle with cancer.    It is hard to put things into perspective, as Tony was one of the "good guys," where things like this should not happen.   But it was part of the big plan and it is easy to point out all the good he did with his life.   Tony was a standout guy, who put others first.  He dedicated his life to serving others- his family, his country, his friends, and his passion for hobbies.   We lost count how many times Tony took a youth aside to teach him or her the lessons of flight and r/c aircraft.   Those youth are now responsible adults, who are taking up careers in aerospace, engineering, and successful walks of life.   It all started with a gentle, helping hand, a hand touching another on a remote control.   Tony's passion for all-things-air and helping others will leave a huge mark on our society.   There are few out there like him and he will be sorely missed.    Smith Brothers would like to wish his son Ryan and his family members our deepest condolences during this difficult time.   We loved Tony with all our hearts and we will let his legacy live on at our store.    He taught us so much with his generosity, patience, and compassion.   Rest in peace Tony.   We love you.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 05:29:15 PM by De Hill »

Offline Paul Wescott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Tony Naccarato
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2019, 04:35:12 PM »
Tony was a great guy.  There a hundreds of “he taught me” stories and every one is a testament to the man.  My story is a little different...

Somewhere on Flickr I have an album of Tony’s (VCB’s) Teach-and-Fly.  After the event was over, or almost over, Tony walked over to a young man (mid 20’s?) who had been hovering.  The man had a plastic shopping bag with a 1/2A model he had built.  Tony seemed to know him, and also seemed to expect to see him there, and it didn’t take me long to figure out the man had a developmental disability of some sort.  I have a younger sister with Down Syndrome, she’s on a bowling league with others who have various DD’s and before computers I kept score on bowling days.  I stayed to watch and see if they needed an extra hand.  Tony VERY calmly and patiently extracted the plane, Dacron lines, handle and inspected the lot.  Then he helped the owner to set a few things straight.  Eventually with several donations of tools, glue, hardware, fuel, battery, etc. that plane was in the air.  I never saw that young man again but I did learn that he had been there before and had to take a long bus ride with a couple of transfers all by himself to get to the field and meet up with Tony.  Thank god for Tony Naccarato.  He is one of my biggest real-life heroes.

Tony the world was a brighter place with you in it, and you will be missed.

Paul Wescott

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2019, 05:04:32 PM »
As I stated on the facebook page, I was privileged to meet Toni and Addie at VSC after reading about them for years.  I knew immediately he was some one I wish I could have spent more time with. :(
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Fred Constantine

• Ensign
  • C/L Retread
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2019, 09:45:31 PM »
I remember Tony and his parents from the mid 1950’s.  I would ride my bike across town to T&A Hobby Lobby in Burbank, CA.  At first just to by a magazine for 35 cents with my allowance from chores and whatever I could scavenge from milk money.  Later I would take all the profits from my paper route and buy a kit or fuel and at one time a magical K&B Torpedo .19.  Over the years I would always drop in to their shop even after I had moved away.  Tony and his mother Addie Naccarato were involved with their customers.  They gave much more freely of their time to the model airplane community than was necessary just for their business.  Tony Jr., as I always knew him, continued and expanded his family tradition of personal involvement.  I cannot imagine my life without model airplanes and the help I got from Tony and Addie.

Fred Constantine
Fred Constantine
Calistoga, CA   AMA 6798

Offline Tony Drago

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2019, 10:12:15 PM »
Rest In Peace. My friend..It was an honor to have known you.

Online Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2019, 11:26:23 AM »
Will miss Tony. Everytime I went in his shop he would open up a photo album and show me a picture of me and one of my planes
 It was a different one every time. He had me sign the picture with the B-17!
No sooner than I opened the door, he would call out my name and then immediately hand me a gram scale to weigh the "good" balsa in the back.
As said previously, he would help any one and everyone.

Just earlier this year while down in LA, I made a special trip over to Smith Bros shop to see him. Unfortunately  it was his day off.

Great knowing you Tony. May you rest in peace.

Offline Bill Barber

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2019, 05:28:24 PM »
       Tony taught me many things about our hobby , not just control line but free flight also.
  Visiting his T & A hobby shop in Burbank was always fun for me. With all the different models
  hanging from the ceiling it was like a time machine back the 1960's .
        Over time we became friends and did many family outings together.  We had Easter egg hunts
   with our kids at Condor Squadron office located at Van Nuys Airport.
      Shortly after the North Ridge earthquake in 1994 I had to go out of state on a job. My wife and 8 year old daughter
  did not feel safe at night in our home . So Tony and his wife Marylou offered them a room to sleep at their home .
  They made them comfortable and feel safe for a week, I will always remember the care they gave my girls.
              Rest in Peace ,   Bill

AMA 325076

Offline Igor

• Ensign
  • Hopak 2006
Re: Tony Naccarato Tribute
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2019, 01:13:55 PM »
My coworker has shared with me this tribute Issue of newsletter from Club of Tony Naccarato the founder of this club, along with notice of his memorial service. I have a lot of respect to this man, for what him and his family have done for modelers community, especially for his work with yang modelers and kids! Igor Panchenko.
Igor Panchenko

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here