News:

• April 24, 2024, 06:17:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ward-O - Ward Van Duzer  (Read 1994 times)

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Ward-O - Ward Van Duzer
« on: January 03, 2017, 01:59:23 PM »
I just received the news from Judy Van Duzer that Ward died of a heart attack New Year's Eve....
Ward was a member here in Florida of the MCRC and had been very active in the GSCB when he lived in NJ.
Ward had a quick wit and was a true modeler....he'll be missed.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 01:14:57 PM by De Hill »

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Ward-O
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 02:46:22 PM »
I only met Ward once but he was a memorable personality.  Kindest regards to his family.

Another one of the flock gone and will be missed.

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline tom hampshire

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 03:08:37 PM »
CAVU old friend...

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 03:13:06 PM »
I'm very sorry to hear this. I missed meeting Ward on his trip through the PNW some years ago, but remember reading his columns in SN in the late '90's. He seemed like a very nice sorta fella.  Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 05:21:06 PM »
WOW I am surprised. I new Ward since he lived in northern Georgia. We got together many times over the years.
 I will miss him.
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 06:21:00 PM »
   A few years ago Ward called me and said he was thinning out his squadron and wanted me to have his Wee Duper Zilch. 
I have it, now I wont fly it but will keep it in memory of a great friend and modeler. Rest in peace my friend!
Roger Vizioli
Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 08:06:54 AM »
I met Ward at VSC and had a great time visiting with him and Larry Scarinzi. He was a gentleman and a man who loved control line. I am sure he will be missed. With Ward and Larry at the same breakfast you do not need to say much, just listen. I love to hear the stories told of days gone by.
Jim Kraft

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2017, 07:53:31 AM »
And now Ward...

We might as well get used to the fact that a lot of us will be posting in this type of thread from now on. We are not spring chickens anymore (at least a great number of us are not...), and the reality is that our great and good friends are leaving this existence at an alarming rate. Each of us in turn will be the subject of similar threads here in time.

When I was at Flying Models magazine in the late 1970s and on through the 1980s, I lived in Newton, New Jersey. Along the way I met Ward Van Duzer. Ward, at that time, lived in Lake Hiawatha, New Jersey, which was just Southeast of Newton. Ward just sort of became a comfortable fixture in my life, and we would build, fly, and hang out together a lot.

Ward loved the technology aspects of the event, and even though he never had any illusions of becoming a top competition pilot, he wanted to know how and why stunt models worked. I vividly remember, when Dean Pappas, Richie Tower, Bill Werwage, and I were working on the CL Stunt tuned pipe development, that Ward wanted to use one on his new profile stunter. I suggested that he wait until we had it worked out a bit better, but he insisted and we crafted a pipe to fit the smaller engine in his ship. It took a while for him to get it adjusted correctly, but then it worked great, and the huge smile on his face was proof enough that he was satisfied.

Ward tried his best to be cool about things and had a very sophisticated persona, but, whenever something really neat happened to or for him, or for his friends, he’d become like a giddy little boy full of glee. It was very refreshing. 

And, that’s how I will choose to remember Ward; bright eyes shining and bubbling with glee over some good thing.   

Godspeed old friend - Bob Hunt

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2017, 09:34:30 AM »
Another shocker. Ward was quite a guy and loved flying. We had many talks about designing airplanes, particularly with intermediates in mind.

The circle in the sky is getting very busy.  God Speed our friend.
AMA 7544

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2017, 10:22:23 AM »
My prayers out to Wards family for their and our loss.  I had seen Ward at many places, but like most of the people I have met never got really close.   I guess it will get worse as every time I get close to some one something happens.   Lets hope 2017 is a much better year.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2017, 11:53:03 AM »
Sorry to hear this. I met Ward a couple of times and found him a funny guy.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Eric Viglione

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2017, 02:21:07 PM »
I gave myself a couple days before replying to this one...

Ward was quite an interesting guy... I read his column, long before he moved here and became club-mates and friends. When I first met Ward, I wasn't sure what to think... he had an orators voice, and was one person who didn't need a microphone. When Ward was anywhere on the field telling stories, you knew it! Heh. Over time, I found he had was a stickler for details, and really liked to build as authentic a plane as he could, and really enjoyed building for the OTS and Classic events. I observed that while being a competent flyer, he didn't like the pressure of competition, yet he was a very good builder.

Ward had slowed his flying down a quite a bit as of late, but still had an active interest in building, and coming out to support the club at events to cheer us on. Recently, he had been well on his way to divesting himself of excess modeling stuff, almost like he knew something was coming.

One item I acquired from Ward, was his un-finished DoubleCross. He had tried listing it here in the classifieds when I saw it, and it wasn't getting any bites. He was trying to bundle it with the PA61, and I could tell he didn't want to get stuck with the plane if he broke up the set. I told him that if he sold the plane locally, the engine would surely sell on the forum, and very quickly. He said, you're right, and if you're interested, I'll make you an offer you can't refuse. He did, and I didn't. I could tell he at one time had a keen interest in this plane, and he did a great job of wood selection and building it to the point when I got it.

Something told me to get it finished quick for Ward to be able to see it fly, so I jumped right into it, and within a month or so, I had finished the build, trimmed & clear coated, powered with a fresh PA40 and in the air. I did my best to keep the weight down, and with the help of Wards excellent wood selection, he made it easy for me to hit 56.5 ounces. A stellar weight for a plane based on a large SV kit with the tips trimmed down.

Ward made it to our field and got to witness its first flights. He was pretty stoked to see it go and fly so well. I liked it enough to use it as my weapon of choice for some local contests, and placed well with it a couple times.

I mentioned the DoubleCross to his wife Judy in a conversation the other day after his passing... and she about leveled me when she confirmed my suspicions and told me how pleased it had made Ward, and that whenever he saw me flying DoubleCross at the field, he would go home and tell her about it...How can I even begin to explain...words fail... be good to your friends while you can.

EricV
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 02:51:20 PM by Eric Viglione »

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here