News:

• March 28, 2024, 10:39:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sugar Babe - Rusty Brown's Best Friend  (Read 2210 times)

Offline De Hill

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Sugar Babe - Rusty Brown's Best Friend
« on: June 25, 2009, 12:26:22 PM »
I just received a forwarded email to Jerry Higgins, from Lynn Boss. Both of these gentlemen were in the Rocky Mountain Aeromodelers along with Rusty Brown.

The email originated from Jonathan Brown, one of Rusty's nephews.

It says:

Sugar Babe passed away on monday June 22, 2009 of kidney failure. She was 14 years and 4 months old.

Jonathan says that she went quietly in a comfortable place.

I hope that Sugar Babe and Rusty are waiting for us at the circle on the other side.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 09:17:36 AM by De Hill »
De Hill

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Sugar Babe
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 08:30:15 AM »
Together at last with all the predecessors.  I've lost count how many Sugar Babes there where.  Rusty treated them all the same.  He is missed.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline De Hill

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 09:25:22 AM »
Doc,

The three Dogs that were part of Rusty's life for the last 40 years were Cookie, Candice, and Sugar Babe. I never knew Cookie, but I did get to meet Candice and Sugar Babe.
De Hill

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 01:46:07 PM »
De, I knew all three. And, maybe not surprisingly, they all had about the same temperament and personality. I guess they were just Rusty personified. I suspect Sugar Babe knew that Rusty was no longer around to take her out and just decided she would rather be with him than by herself. At least that's what I want to believe.

Rusty and I went back over 55, almost 60 years. When I was just a kid learning how to fly, I knew Rusty. He was the top combat flyer in Colorado. If you just had a good match with Rusty before he won, you counted it as a good day. The first NATs I ever went to in 1958 in Chicago was with Rusty, He had one of his many mid-50's Chryslers, the green Windsor, that year. I had just turned 16 a month before and damn it! Rusty wouldn't let me drive! I Wonder why.  ;D

I ran a hobby shop in Boulder part time when I was in Junior High School. When the shop was sold it was Rusty and (??? Can't remember his partner's name) that bought the shop.

After I took my (normal?) hiatus from flying while getting through college, I got back into flying because my new bride and I happened to be at a Denver Bears baseball game, a double header, and the between games entertainment was a bunch of guys flying CL models. And it turns out I knew many of them, especially Rusty. From then on for many years Rusty and I and a few others made many, many contests, NATs several times, trips, good times. For the past 10-12+ years it's been VSC, a chance for us to spend time together visiting and remembering.

A million stories in my memory of my best friend.

Lord how I miss him.

Bill

Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here