News:

• March 28, 2024, 07:24:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Robert "Bob" Baldus from Polk City Iowa passed away  (Read 2181 times)

Offline Jared Hays

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Robert "Bob" Baldus from Polk City Iowa passed away
« on: January 30, 2021, 03:26:30 PM »
Bob always put on a nice two day contest in the spring in Des Moines Iowa with the Mid Iowa Control Liners Club.  He had been in the hobby for longer than I've been alive.  Just heard about his passing yesterday and I don't have any details other than this link I found.

https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/west-des-moines-ia/robert-baldus-10027411

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Robert "Bob" Baldus from Polk City Iowa passed away
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2021, 04:52:54 PM »
Jared thanks for posting this.  Doc told me yesterday.
I've known Bob since the early 70's when we both were on the CMI Combat Team.  He was one of the finest gentlemen I've ever known.  His wife Jane was also a pearl of a lady.  She left us too early with lupus.  It had been many years since I'd seen Bob but I'm glad I made the trip to Polk City for their contest a couple years ago and got to visit with Bob and go out to dinner.  I read what you posted and didn't realize one of his kids lives right here in Overland Park. 

You lived well Bob, rest in peace my friend.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Dick Byron

• Vendor
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2021, 06:00:05 PM »
This was one of the best people in the hobby. A true friend.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2021, 08:12:34 PM »
Thank you Jared. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Sina Goudarzi

• AMA Member
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2021, 09:52:12 PM »
It's indeed a very sad news,

sina
Sina

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2021, 03:18:13 PM »
It's indeed a very sad news,

sina

When I lived in St. Paul Bob, and his young friend both came up for contests.  Flew Combat and PA with their his innovative sideways handle  He flew a Guillotine very effectively.  Did very well, too at both.  Never did get a picture of it.
phil Cartier

Offline Jerry Eichten

• AMA Member
  • Lieutenant
    • Flying Lines
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2021, 09:06:27 PM »
Bob's young friend might have been Bill Miller.  I remember them both from contests in Minneapolis and Des Moines in the 70's.  They flew some awesome combat matches with those Guillotines.  Slow, but with flaps that model could really turn tighter than everything else.  I watched him in a noteworthy combat match at the Glenview Nats in '72 that raised a question over how many cuts were awarded. 

Bill flew lots of stunt. I don't remember Bob being deeply into stunt but he had a nice scale B-25. I reconnected with Bob Baldus via facebook within the last year after not seeing him for over 40 years.  I thanked him for the work he put into contests in Iowa years ago, and for letting me and a couple pals sleep at his house when we came down from Minnesota.   

Fair skies Bob.
AMA 7693

Offline James Lee

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2021, 08:30:34 PM »
Jim Ricketts sent me this letter to post.

A lifelong member of The Academy of Model Aeronautics,  AMA # 651, and a model aviator for roughly 75 years, Bob Baldus, of Windsor Heights, Iowa died on January 26, 2021 at the age of 82. 

Bob was not only my friend, but was my mentor in model aviation.  When I was 11, he found me at a local park trying to fly my ½ A control line airplane.  He showed me how to run the engine and fly.  That was the start of a 65 year friendship and model aviation experience.  We were still flying together and discussing building and flying just before his passing.  Bob competed on the local, regional and national levels.  Mostly flying control line stunt, combat and scale.  He has been a contest director for at least 50 years.

Bob taught technical education at Amos Hiatt Junior High School in Des Moines, Iowa.  He built street rods and spent many days at car shows, mostly showing his ’49 Ford which is an amazing car second to none.  He also enjoyed NASCAR, a round of golf, and was a prolific watercolor painter.

A graduate of Iowa State University, he was seldom seen without his ISU hat or shirt!  He was a member of the Mid-Iowa Control Line Model Airplane Club and when he was not flying at the club field in Polk City, Iowa, you would find him on the mower grooming the flying circles.

Bob was preceded in death by his wife Jane and is survived by his four children, 12 grandchildren, several great grandchildren, Brother Jerry, Sister Mary Kay and several nieces and nephews.

Everyone in model aviation should have the opportunity to meet someone like Bob.  I can truly say my model aviation was not only shaped but also guided by my mentor and friend Bob Baldus.

Bob leaves behind many friends not only in the model aviation hobby, but all those he taught and guided through 38 years of teaching.  Keep your lines tight, Bob.

Jim Ricketts
AMA 5884, Leader Member, AMA Fellow

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here