News:

• April 19, 2024, 09:59:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Allan Perret  (Read 4010 times)

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Allan Perret
« on: September 18, 2018, 01:08:25 PM »
It is with great sadness that I tell you that Allan Perret has passed away.  Allan was a member of my club here in New Orleans and I know many of you knew him as well.  Allan was a dedicated CL modeler as well and a very good man.  He will be greatly missed.

Mike Griffin

Offline Myron Firmin

• 23 supporter
  • New Pilot
Re: Allan Perret
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 01:15:26 PM »
Allan was a great guy and flyer.  Always helping anyone who asked.  He will be greatly missed!!
Myron Firmin
Definition: Work Bench, a place to stack stuff, so you can build on the card table.
www.facebook.com/ringmastersflyingclub

Online frank williams

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 01:28:59 PM »
I'm very sorry to hear this.  I always enjoyed talking with Allan.  We'll miss him, he was a good guy.

Offline Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 01:39:21 PM »
Sorry to hear, God bless <><
Larry

Believing is the Beginning to greatness <><

Offline Joseph Patterson

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA member- Supporter
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 02:03:33 PM »
          Just found out! We in the Baton Rouge Bi-Liners are shocked by this news! He really was a nice guy and a very good builder. He was very ingenuous in designing jigs and fixtures to make building planes easier and much more accurate. We will miss him so much.
          Doug

Offline Jason Greer

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 02:48:58 PM »
Oh my.  I'm very sad and shocked to hear that.  I will miss seeing and visiting with him.
El Dorado, AR
AMA 518858

Offline MikeyPratt

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 02:55:14 PM »
This is not good news at all.  Allan will be missed by many people and modelers all over the US.

Mikey

Offline Will Davis

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 03:37:07 PM »
Allan was a great guy to hang out with , very knowledgable about all things stunt  and in life. a very good competitor , I knew him from  SE  contest and Joe Nall  .He will be missed . Attached are a couple pictures from Joe Nall
Will Davis
"Carolina Gang"

Online BYU

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2018, 05:43:01 PM »
It is with great sadness that I tell you that Allan Perret has passed away.  Allan was a member of my club here in New Orleans and I know many of you knew him as well.  Allan was a dedicated CL modeler as well and a very good man.  He will be greatly missed.

Mike Griffin

Sad to hear this, I wish the very best to his family and loved ones.

Tortured Stunt Flyer Department

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2018, 05:49:09 PM »
Ill miss Allan. He was one of a kind. Goin to miss seeing that Deluxe fly at our field.

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline pat king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • PDK LLC
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2018, 06:15:33 PM »
Go with God Allan. You will be missed.

Pat
Pat King
Monee, IL

AMA 168941

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2018, 07:12:57 PM »
I agree with Ty; this is very hard to fathom and accept. I never had the pleasure of meeting Allan in person, but we had many very interesting and stimulating technical discussions on the phone. He was a brilliant innovator and a great builder. From what I could tell from our discussions, he was also a fantastic human being. I'll miss our chats, and I'll miss seeing his posts here.

Rest in God's Good Peace, Allan...

Bob Hunt

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2018, 10:06:46 PM »
I wanted to share a story will all of you about my good friend Allan. 
Back in 2015, when I was still pretty active in producing kits, Allan dropped by my house one day and started talking to me about producing a kit of a gyro that Dick Mathis had designed years ago called “Otto the Giro”.   I asked Allan what in the heck was that.  I had never heard of it.    He started explaining this thing to me and drawing sketches and I looked at him like he had lost his mind.  But he persisted and started engineering a hub for the rotors made out of some polystyrene material that he found at home depot that the rotor blades would plug into.  He actually, somehow, rigged up a way to make these things.  I still was not convinced.  I told him I didn’t know how we were going to cut the proper angles on the edges of the rotor blades and get the proper taper on them and he went home, designed a jig to go on my band saw, and we carried my band saw into the back yard and started running 3/8” thick balsa through this jig and started cutting rotors.
I built a prototype and told him we would be lucky if we sold one kit.  I showed it to Eric Rule and he said we might sell two but he would be glad to cut the kits for me.  All the while, Allan was like a little kid about this project and could not wait to get a prototype to the field and give it a test run. 
Allan fiddled around with the angle of the rotor post about a gazillion times (driving me crazy all the time) until he found the angle that suited him.  That is the kind of perfectionist he was.
Finally we had a couple of prototypes built and we took them to the field to give them a test run.  I swore they wouldn’t get off the ground.  I had put a OS LA 25 on mine and he had a .40 on his.  We decided to fly mine first.  I cranked it up, walked to the center of the circle, told Allan to let it go.  The thing started running around the circle on the ground and I gave it a little up and the damn thing jumped off the ground and the rotors started turning and it was flying.  I couldn’t believe it.  It was flying good.  I was about 2 minutes into the flight when the wheel collar that was holding the rotor hub on decided to come loose, the rotors flew off the fuselage and went into the clouds somewhere and I can tell you, this thing did not glide. 
Allan was rolling on the ground laughing his butt off and I just stood there looking at a horrible pile of balsa on the concrete with an engine attached to it.
Allan cranked his up, took it off and made a loop and just looked at me and grinned.  He was like a little kid and having a ball.
I decided to go ahead with the kit and it turned out to be the biggest selling kit I ever put out.  I was astonished, Eric Rule was astonished but Allan just said,  “I told you so.”
I am going to miss him so much.

Mike

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2018, 12:58:21 PM »
Don't remember if I had ever met Allen, but from what I have read I would have remembered.  Guess I'm going to have to build my Gyro in his memory.   :(
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2018, 02:57:11 PM »
I had several conversations with Allan when he was building my Ringmaster Deluxe design. He seemed a knowledgeable and good guy. I'll miss him.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2018, 09:14:39 AM »
I am sad to to learn that Allan has passed away.

I had met him at a couple of the Joe Nall Stunt contests after being familiar with his posts on Stunthangar. He came to me and introduced himself, which is a reversal of my usual m.o., as I’m newer to the event scene than many of the modelers I’ve met. It turns out, he had come to tell me that he was one of our regular viewers on the Video Hangout show, and that he enjoyed watching our reruns.

Allan was fun and easy to talk to and became one of the people I looked forward to seeing at events, as I would scan the crowds for people I wanted to speak to, and we chatted on several occasions. I’ll miss his grin beaming out from under that old bucket hat… at least, for me, that’s the picture I have in my mind of him.

Tight Lines and Fair Winds, Allan. I’m sad, but happy to have made your acquaintance.

Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Tim Chenevert

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2018, 05:38:45 PM »
I met Allen at our flying field and he was always willing to offer good advice and to help anyway he could. I am new at the field but he made me feel welcome as did everyone else there. He will be missed. Tim
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
AMA 179681

Offline eric rule

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2018, 07:43:02 PM »
Allan was a fantastic guy in every way. Loved meeting him when my wife and I were in New Orleans.

Mike's story about "Otto the Gyro" is so very true. The major problem with the original design was the rotor hub. Allan's manufacturing of the hub made the darned thing work!

One great guy, fine human being and so "scary smart"! I will miss him.

Offline Jason Cunningham

• Ensign
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2018, 03:05:53 PM »
The Model Aviators of South Arkansas club are very sorry to here about the loss of Allan Perret.  He won several Pilot Choice Awards/events at our contest in El Dorado, AR. Great person for the hobby and will be missed greatly..
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 03:24:02 PM by Jason Cunningham »

Offline Norm Faith Jr.

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • The physics of flight releases the soul.
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2018, 09:26:20 PM »
Just found out about this...I'm at a loss for words. I'll really miss him come November. He would always call and e-mail me before the contest. Peace Allen.
Circlepilot   AMA9376

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here