News:

• March 28, 2024, 05:01:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Jack Sheeks passing  (Read 4653 times)

Offline Gary Alspaugh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Jack Sheeks passing
« on: May 29, 2018, 07:53:17 AM »
I received a phone call from Jack Sheeks son Scott, that Jack passed at 8:30 this morning. He was at home with his family and it was a peaceful passing. The C/L  world has lost a GREAT modeler and mentor. PLEASE  keep his family in your prayers.

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
Re: Jack Sheeks passing
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 08:04:18 AM »
The nats and the FCM just aren't going to be the same without Jack!  He was one of my modeling heroes.  I'll be praying for Shirley and the family.
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 08:12:05 AM »
Thanks, Gary, for letting us know what we all knew was imminent. This is a sad day indeed for the modeling community, but also for the human race in general, because Jack was both a great modeler, and a great person.

I'm sure there will be many stories about Jack posted here, but I'd like to post a story that I told Jack many years ago about how he "may have saved my life." 

It took place in the late spring of 1968, and at that point I had not yet even met Jack. But, I had read all of his many articles in the pages of Flying Models, and thought them I felt like I had known him for years. It seemed that Jack had a stunt model published in every other issue in those days...

I had joined the Army (yep, I was RA!) and was in boot camp in Fort Campbell, Kentucky. Army life was not what I had imagined, and I was a bit despondent over my decision to join. There were several suicide attempts in my company, and I was hoping that such thoughts would never creep into my mind; but you never know... I remember going to the PX (Post Exchange) and purchasing the latest issue of Flying Models magazine. In that issue was yet another design by Jack Sheeks; the Freedom 45. My mood immediately improved, and as I kept reading that article over and over for the next few weeks my mood continued to get brighter and I was fine in uniform from that point forward. That article got me through basic training. Jack may have saved my life! 

When I told Jack that story many years later he had such a big grin. He said something like, "Glad to have been of service!"

Jack was a friend to everyone he ever met. A kinder, gentler, more fun, and more energetic soul would be hard to find. I will miss Jack for the duration of my stay in this existence, but I can't wait to see him again at that great stunt circle in the sky. I'm sure he's now brightening the mood of all the modelers that got there before him. They got a good one today...

Bob Hunt
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 08:30:11 AM by Bob Hunt »

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 08:19:54 AM »

I had the pleasure of meeting Jack at an early Lake Charles La nats, and we hit it off like we had known each other a loooooooong time, he was that sort of fellow, I too will miss him and my prayers go out to his family..  God speed Jack, we'll miss you..
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
    • Fellowship of Christan modelers
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 08:40:16 AM »
Mike McHenry and I got to spend a couple hours two weeks ago with Jack & Shirley, they are like family to me and many many other people I know. To say this man will be missed is an understatement, I know scale will not be the same. Prayers going out to Shirley and the family.
Allen

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 09:10:02 AM »

I met Jack a few years ago at the nats .he was judging scale static .after judging my profile he waved me over and told me to talk with him when everything was done and he would show me how to improve my presentation and other stuff.  I still kick myself for being TOO pig headed to take him up on his Generous offer. I never got another chance. God Sped Jack
rad racer

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 09:28:37 AM »
A few weeks ago I visited Jack & Shirley.  We went over a couple photo albums he had with many of his published designs and many MORE that had not been published.  I asked him if there were any designs he did not get around to and he said LOTS.  As many have pointed out, his modeling exploits paled to his measure as a man.  He was quite literally everybody's friend, from the moment you met him.  Incredible sense of humor, and passionate about life.  Words like Hero and role model come to mind.  I think we will all be telling stories about Jack and re-telling his stories for a very long time.

I am so very grateful for the time I spent with him.  My prayers for his wonderful Shirley, and their family.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 12:19:18 PM by Dennis Adamisin »
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline MikeyPratt

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2018, 10:55:30 AM »
Jack & Shirley Sheets have been my friends for many years and it deeply saddens my heart that he has passed.  The modeling world has lost not only a fine modeler and designer, but a great and honest person.  At almost every Nat’s they would stop by my car and chat with my family and Shirley would sit on a blanket with the girls then join in on whatever they were playing with (Barbies, Pretty Phonies, coloring books).  Jack often coached me when flying and was very good at it.  I still remember hearing over the headset, “That was terrible! Do it again”.  One flight I  flew nothing but hourglass figures until he said that’s better, but!  Then we would sit and discuss the other figures (he was demanding perfection out of me).  Jack and I spent many hours talking about stunt design and the people behind each and every modeler, (he knew them all well).

Gods Speed my Ol Friend,

Mike Pratt (Mikey)

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2018, 11:16:19 AM »
I knew this day was coming but not so soon.   What can I add about Jack that hasn't been said already.  I remember him helping me with the Staggerwing at VSC and then the Spitfire that got me the Sheeks High Point Award even though I miscounted on inverted laps one round.  At my age back then I still got excited having a stunt hero helping me.  He will be missed. :'( :'(
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2018, 12:21:21 PM »
I was stunned to read of his passing on facebook.  I knew Jack was fighting illness and his time was limited.  I only regret that I didn't make the phone call last week that I had planned.

I met Jack in 1965 and he was my influence in beginning to fly aerobatics.  Every time he would finish a new plane, he would call me to ask if I wanted to go see it fly.  Jack always flew "in the clear" so if a change was needed, he didn't have to cut open a finished airplane.  He would make necessary adjustments and then clean the plane with Spot Lifter prior to painting.  Some of the planes I saw on their maiden voyage were the Ryan SC and the Scotsman, along with others I can't recall the name of.

He helped me in the design of my airplane which was published in FM and is actually being kitted by Brodak.  He was truly a stunt icon who will be missed by everyone who ever met him.  Tight lines, Jack.
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2018, 03:41:18 PM »
At the 1993 Nats Jack helped Grant and myself with some tips about scale and flying at the Nats. He was a kind soul and he will be missed

Fred
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 08:41:21 PM by Fred Cronenwett »
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Gordon Van Tighem

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2018, 05:22:47 PM »
Indeed another great loss to our hobby, but we can all celebrate his many, many contributions.
I grew up waiting for the newest Flying Models each month to see what he had in store for us, as he was indeed prolific. I couldn’t keep up, but do still have my Moondust that I flew at my first Nats at Riverside and a Care ready for construction soon. We finally met at VSC a couple of times and I got to enjoy several hours of reminiscent chatting under the canvas, he was also a great conversationalist.
He will be missed! Regards to Shirley and the family, and thank you Jack!
G
Gord VT
MAAC 3738L, Life Member
AMA C3738L

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2018, 05:30:30 PM »
I am so sad to read of this. Jack Sheeks was my Hero and I always told him that when I saw him. He always smiled and came back with a wisecrack. I only knew Jack for the last 30 years but had read about him for 50. I think he built one plane a week.
AMA 12366

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2018, 06:03:48 PM »
At the 1993 Nats Jack helped Grant and myself with some tips about scale and flying at the Nats. He was  kind soul and he will be missed

Fred

Fred,

Thanks so much for posting the pics of Jack.  The first of which somehow made him look curmudgeonly...which he "never" was!

The second is the proof of the last four words in my last sentence; the twinkle in his eyes peeking over the rims of his glasses is the way each and everyone who ever met Jack will remember him...and miss him.

My Jack story I've told before but it is perfect for a thread dedicated to the remembrance of this fine man and modeler, thus I'll share it again.

My first memory of face to face time with Jack was at the 1974 Lake Charles Nats where I was, deservedly, an unknown relative new-comer flying a modified jet styled Nobler kit bash irreverently known as the Moby Dick for very valid reasons...it was white and fat!  Jack was, as always, helping out by judging that year.

Somehow, despite it's grossness, the Moby Dick managed to qualify for the finals (pre modern Walker fly-off the finals were a separate contest of the top 20 [IIRC] open qualifiers; two rounds, single best flight counts).  Jack was one of the finals' judges.

In my first flight I somehow managed to forget to "perform" the triangles and, thus, any chance for fame and fortune rested on the outcome of the second round flight.

Alas, in the mid-afternoon Louisiana heat and humidity my attempt to perform flawless sharp cornered triangles for Jack and the others' benefit resulted in four kinda soft first two corners and two, count 'em, near crash and burn stalls in each bottom right corner.  Utter humiliation and a score to match ensued.

I nonetheless hung around to the finish and after all the flying was done I was walking across the circle toward the parking lot with the Moby Dick in one hand and the slightly lighter tool box in the other when Jack came hustling up behind me and put his arm around me as we continued to walk (I had never met Jack although, of course, knew exactly who he was). 

In a somber tone Jack commented that the judges were all sad that I had left the Triangles out of the first flight 'cause it hadn't been all bad otherwise which kind of brightened my day a bit.

Jack then went on to say...and this is almost verbatim as I've never forgotten it... "...and then we saw you fly your triangles in the second flight and thought you had left them out of the first flight on purpose!".

He then squeezed my shoulders, gave me a great big smile and said something like "...better luck next year, you need to come back."

And, by George, I did.   Or, maybe, it was "by Jack"!

Shareen and I will miss him.

Ted Fancher
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 06:21:15 PM by Ted Fancher »

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2018, 08:17:55 PM »
Bummer.  I met Jack and Shirley at VSC in 2008.  I had built a FREEDOM 45 and was going to get his autograph.  Unfortunately it was lost in an accident at that contest.  In 2009 I returned with a new model and got that one autographed.  I still have it and I remember him every time I have it out.  A really nice man as well as prolific builder and designer.  Yes, he will be missed.
Mike

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2018, 08:27:01 PM »
I was very glad I got to meet and be friends with Jack and Shirley at Brodak's. Jack joined our JYWs team a few times. He and Shirley were fun to be around. He was very quick with a joke and even designed a winning JYWs plane. He will be missed.

Our condolences to Shirley and the family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Les McDonald

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • " The Jelly Man"
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2018, 08:31:01 PM »
I first saw Jack at a contest in Kokomo Indiana in 1967 and he was flying the Ryan SC.
I was really pumped because I was well aware of who he was and I had just seen the little Ryan in a recent issue of Flying Models.
At that point I had not yet started to fly in contests and had just stumbled across this local event behind some shopping center.
I never spoke with him then but I can remember that day like it was last week. (That's a special statement because right now I couldn't tell you where I placed at the 79 Nats but I know it was in the top five!)
 Of course several years later I began seeing him on a regular basis and we always fell into some goofy conversation about silly stuff. He was just enjoyable to be around and I was so focused and serious about what we were trying to do. Jack just seemed to float along.
Probably because of that I don't have any Jack Sheeks stories to share but I will always be proud to have known him. 
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 04:00:21 PM by Les McDonald »
I see people my age out there climbing mountains and zip lining and here I am feeling good about myself because I got my leg through my underwear without losing my balance

Online Dick Byron

• Vendor
  • Captain
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2018, 08:36:11 PM »
I know every one knows love but the love for Jack and Shirley will never die. God has a flying buddy now.

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2018, 06:09:37 AM »
I had a business trip to Indianapolis years ago and having some free time decided to visit him and his hobby shop.  I had only known him from Flying Models articles but he was happy to welcome a stranger and proceeded to show me his latest acquisition: a highly modified (ST-46 powered) Nobler that had been built by Bob Geiseke.  it was always fun to see him years later at Brodaks.

Scott

Eric Viglione

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2018, 06:39:39 AM »
What can I say that hasn't been said?

Well, now that I think about it, just this:
Knowing Jack didn't suck!
(That one was for Jack, he'd get it)

Condolences from Lisa and I to Shirley and family.
EricV

Offline De Hill

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2018, 06:55:34 AM »
Jack Sheeks was always glad to see an old friend. He had an endless scource of good stories to tell during a conversation.

he was a wonderful man.

I'm saddened that He has left us.
De Hill

Offline Joseph Patterson

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA member- Supporter
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2018, 09:51:04 AM »
  Kathleen and I will certainly miss him. We met and talked with him and Shirley at a couple of NAT's. He and Shirley were such kind and friendly people. Like Sparky, I've know about him and his great contributions to our hobby for over 50 years, and now am grateful we had a chance to finally meet and talk with him and Shirley on those occasions. Our prayers go out for Shirley and their family.

Doug 

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2018, 07:47:14 PM »
I met him last year for the first time at Brodaks. He was a very nice . I guess I 'll have to build that Sheeks Hurricane I've been putting off for so long. RIP

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2018, 03:51:33 PM »
He will be missed. Met him several times and he was always patient and insightful.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2018, 08:47:53 PM »
Can't add to the wonderful thoughts already posted... Too affected by the news.

Over the few dozen times we met through the past 40+ years or so, each occasion just continued the bond and joy, regardless.

There won't be a next occasion anytime soon (I selfishly hope) but there were all those I remember so well. ..And am grateful for them, and for Jack making them memorable.

With age come several things, mostly in seeing that we can't do as many things as well as "back then", as quickly or as vigorously - but we have the memories...

..Then the memories start to go... 

No, not quite yet, for me.

I think...
\BEST\LOU

Offline Warren Wagner

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
  • Bradenton, FL
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2018, 12:05:59 PM »
Hi gang,

When the Tampa Bay Line Fliers flew at 34th street in St. Petersburg, FL, Jack visited us
during one of our Sunday morning flying sessions.  I was able to catch this candid shot of Jack
preparing his Ryan SC, along with the assistance of club member Paul Sequira of St.
Petersburg.

I've always been so impressed with how prolific Jack was on designing and building planes...
he was simply amazing.  I don't know of anyone that surpassed him in that area.

This shot captured Jack in his element, doing what he does best. Enjoy.

Cheers.

Warren Wagner
Warren Wagner
AMA 1385

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2018, 06:54:16 PM »
I only met this great guy once, at VSC. However, he was one of those giants who made me aware of stunt and design, with his many, many construction articles. That life work was amazing and inspiring.

Offline Rick Henry

• AMA Member
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2018, 10:33:54 PM »
I haven't flown in many years but I still on occasion check here to see what's going on and maybe catch a peak at a new cool looking stunt model of some kind. When I  see a post like this it makes me a little sad. I met Jack in 1988 at his hobby shop. I had read many of his articles in fm through the years as a kid and always wanted to build his Spitfire and Corsair designs. I bought my first Super Chipmunk kit at his shop and I traded him an old Imperial Ringmaster kit for another Super Chip kit a couple of years later. He was an interesting guy and he knew that I worked for a 911 ambulance service and was interested in being a police officer. I talked to Jack and to Jerry Caldwell many times about the police service and they told me stories about things they had done and seen over the years and then a few years later I became a police officer. I truly believe Jack inspired me to choose that path. I have been in and out of modeling several times for one reason or another but several guys in modeling have really touched me in so many ways. To Dick Montgomery, Mike Condon , Roger Wildman and Jack who have all left us rest in peace and thanks for the memories.     

Former Stunt Flyer Rick Henry

Offline Dennis Holler

• Commander
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2018, 06:34:53 PM »
I was fortunate enough to meet Jack along with all the others that fly with the Indy Sportliners probably 6 years ago.  As a newbe  they all welcomed me in the fold as if I had always been there. It was really neat for me as realized he was one of the guys that had published many plans that I drooled over in my dads old Flying Models and other mags.  He was everything everyone has said and more. As most know he had been challenged by declining health for several years but he would always come to the monthly meeting/flying sessions and usually sit on a tailgate or in a foldup chair and basically hold court.  He almost always came no matter how he was feeling.  Sometimes Shirley would bring him, but he wanted to come and he did come.  During the winter months, we'd still have the monthly meeting and he seemed to always volunteer to hold it at his house.  I could always tell it was hard for him to get up and down the stairs, but he would not be denied.  He really did seem to get pumped up by the discussions and talk about building, flying, or telling stories about his old hobbyshop  or from being a police officer and even from when he was in the Navy.  I'm sure he was the same when he attended Brodak's or the Nats, I'm sorry I never got to attend either.  Even so, I did get to meet the man and get to know him a little but at least. I'll add to it that there is probably no one as sweet as Shirley either, just two beautiful people.

I can only imagine what unpublished designs Jack had stored away, I'm sure there are probably some gems there.  I'll always have several of his designs at the top of my list of want to build planes.
I've started plenty...would be nice to finish something!!!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here