News:

• March 28, 2024, 08:57:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mack Henry and Marshall Busby- The Nashville Rats and Combat Team  (Read 1196 times)

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
I was checking in on Mack today and his son informed me that he passed in late January from complications due to some bad falls. I was also told that Marshall Busby had passed last year as well.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 06:37:07 PM by De Hill »
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
Re: Mack Henry/Marshall Busby
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 08:30:48 PM »
Oh wow, even though it's been a ton of years since seeing them at the nats, this hits kinda hard.  Thanks for posting this.
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Robertc

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 09:52:31 AM »
Glad you posted this as I had not heard anything from either one in years.  I'm sure Marshall is up there painting everything his light blue.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 03:20:05 PM »
Cool guys.  Mack volunteered to be F2D circle marshal at the 1984 world championships, held in Massachusetts.  His performance at that job and his call of "Minute to the minute" became famous, and he was called upon to do that job for many years at contests all over the world.  Mack was a blues fan.  John Lee Hooker was his favorite.  Mack would greet me with "Boogie, chillun".  After his stroke he said that the doctor told him that "I'll get better, but I'll never get well." We had some good times.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
    • Fellowship of Christan modelers
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 05:30:27 PM »
So sad to hear this. Marshall and MAC were great friends. Mac attend 6 of the 7 R W Howe money combat contests here outside of Muncie at his private estate.
I remember staying the night with Marshall and his trailer was so full of model airplane “stuff”. There was a pathway from the front door to the bathroom and the bedroom. He had to more the stuff of the couch to make room for my bed.
Went out for supper a couple of times and all I can say is you don’t want to match them in drinking, Absolute/anything was there drink of choice. I would nurse a beer all night while they would throw them down one after the other. I tell this story only because we had good clean fun for hours. They stayed here at “Jan bed and no breakfast “ for the FCM contest and the Nats.
I’ll miss them both.
Blessings
Allen

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2020, 06:05:46 AM »
I will miss those two.  Marshall was a hoot, my God did he like to stir things up!
Steve

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2020, 10:37:25 AM »

Some years back I had the pleasure of meeting both of these fellows in Nashvills Tenn when Cathy and I went up to see a nephue at Nashville diesel and auto college.
 Got to watch Mac fly his O S  Stuka model, he flew it well, and it was the first time I remember hearing one of those 32's run it impressed me enough to buy  couple and use them.
  My thoughts and prayers go out to both families...
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2020, 01:23:51 PM »
Some years back I had the pleasure of meeting both of these fellows in Nashvills Tenn when Cathy and I went up to see a nephue at Nashville diesel and auto college.
 Got to watch Mac fly his O S  Stuka model, he flew it well, and it was the first time I remember hearing one of those 32's run it impressed me enough to buy  couple and use them.
  My thoughts and prayers go out to both families...
A friend bought the Stuka from Mack. It still survives and is currently being restored to flight worthy status.
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline Rlamb10769

• New Pilot
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2020, 04:51:52 PM »
Sad to hear about Mack and Marshall, got to know them back in 70’s when they where part of the Nashville Rats.
The group was slow rat kings for years led by Paul Tune, Marshall Busby, his son, Mack Henry, David Owens and later Larry Hill.
They were unbeatable for years, always liked being around them. Got to know Mack better from all the W/C's we attended.
RIP Mack, Marshall.

Dick Lambert
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 05:29:09 PM by Rlamb10769 »

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here