News:

• March 28, 2024, 08:29:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Lew Woolard has been called to heaven.  (Read 4003 times)

Offline Doug Burright

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • Legacy, Brodak kit
Lew Woolard has been called to heaven.
« on: March 08, 2018, 10:17:45 AM »
Lew Woolard was called away from his family, and friends in the hobby, yesterday, to eternal service with the Lord.
Wichita, and modellers Worldwide, will miss Lew for all the advice, teaching, work and fellowship he has provided to people everywhere.
The Silver Foxx, as Lew was known for his work on model engines, was still working on engines, right until his passing, yesterday. He may have unfinished work in his shop, right now.
Lew was an American Veteran of WW II, and lived to a very respectable 93 years of age. He was proud to be honored with a trip to Washington DC, as an Honor Flight recipient, just a few years ago.
Many people will have stories and highlights in their lives of how Lew was a great influence to them, and could share them here.
I will build it. It's gonna be really difficult to find me with an ARF. I know every bit of my airplane!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Lew Woolard has been called to heaven.
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 12:48:05 PM »
This very sad.  He reworked one engine for me as well as gave advice.   Lew was one of the greats and also one of my heroes.    :(
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 01:20:08 PM »
I feel fortunate to have 2 of Lew's workmanship as he was 91 and 92 building them for me

Choked and tears as I write this...a man I never met in person but had a few phone conversations with...
Lew Woolard shared a lot his time with me just answering questions that seemed to expand into more and more discussion and teaching

RIP Brother Lew, I will dearly miss you....also one of my heroes
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline De Hill

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 02:12:00 PM »
Lew Woolard passed away on March 7, 2018. He had been a SeaBee in world war 2 and was a bricklayer by trade; He retired after 40 years service.

I met him at one of the Wichita contests in 1987. He was wearing a T shirt that had Old Fart printed on it. His wife Julie was wearing  a T shirt that had Old Fart's Wife printed on it!

Lew was a Mason, and a Past Patron at North Star Order of the Eastern Star, and also a Grand Past Patron with the Order Of the Amaranth.

Lew was one of the stalwarts that kept the Wichihawks Controline Club together.

For the last few years, his good friend  Bob Brookins brought him to our Tulsa Gluedobbers Stunt contest held in September.

In the past, you saw Lew and Julie everywhere; Wichita, Topeka, Oklahoma City, Dallas, Tulsa, the VSC, and at Brodak's.

In his younger days, Lew flew Combat, and switched to stunt as He grew older. He reworked engines for stunt and combat for many years.

He is survived by his wife Julie and 2 children, Ed (Korry) and Lu Ann Julian.

Lew was a good friend of mine; He had a lot of friends,  deservedly so.

Farewell, Lew!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 09:11:49 AM by De Hill »
De Hill

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 05:25:10 PM »
Another one gone . . . and a very nice man he was.  He will be missed.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Elwyn Aud

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Inferalandings Photo Page
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 07:02:21 PM »
Godspeed Lew.

Offline De Hill

• Admiral
Lew Woolard's services
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2018, 06:29:14 PM »
Visitation will be from 7 to 8:30 pm on Monday, March 12, at Lakeview funeral home 12100 E. 13th St. N. Wichita, Kansas.

Celebration of life services will be held at 2 pm on Tuesday March 13, at Dawson UMC 2741 S. Laura Street in Wichita.

Burial will follow at Lakeview Cemetery, Wichita.
De Hill

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2018, 06:03:39 AM »
A great loss to us who knew Lew.  A fine gentleman and great competitor.  He is about the last of old stalwarts of the great Wichihawks CL club.  He was always a kind and friendly sort and we enjoyed dinners with him out on the contest circuit.  He was flying right up to a couple years ago,  even putting up a decent pattern in Tulsa though needing help getting to and from circle center.  We should all be so fortunate.  When greeting Lew one would say "nice to see you" to which he would reply "better to be seen than viewed".  Lew this time.............Farewell friend....

Dave
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 08:21:25 AM by Dave_Trible »
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Online Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2018, 07:42:59 AM »
I first saw and met Lew a few years ago at a Gluedobber's contest. I marveled that such an elderly gent could still fly the socks off his airplane! He seemed to have been a super guy. Godspeed, Lew.

Searching to find my new place in this hobby!

Offline Joseph Patterson

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA member- Supporter
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2018, 08:39:21 AM »
   I've been with Mr. Lew on two occasions at the Gluedobber contest a few years ago and talked with him on the phone at times. I will surely miss him- He was such a nice humble man. He was also still a competitive flier even in the years I saw him. I remember his intersections were always dead on. Sure enough as someone said above, his reply to me when I said ,"So nice to see you" was, "Better to be seen, than viewed". He was truly a great gentleman and wore his Christianity graciously from his heart in his relations with others.
     God Speed to his wife July and his children,
       Doug 

Offline Manuel Cortes

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2018, 09:32:50 AM »
Have a nice trip Lew.
We all for sure will miss you.
Tom Lay and George Aldridge have now a new friend for discussing about stunt engines.....  H^^
Warm regards for family and friends.

Manuel.

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2018, 12:59:17 PM »
Well, this is sad indeed. Lew was a good friend and always had info one needed on engines. My condolences to his family. He will be missed.
Jim Kraft

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2018, 09:52:34 PM »
 Noticed this a couple days ago. Barely knowing Lew it's been difficult to think of anything to say. The news still hits hard though. I only met Lew a couple times, at the spring Polk City, IA contests. My impression was that of a super nice and helpful guy who obviously loved, and lived, the hobby. Following his travels ever since, through avenues such as this forum and print, my thoughts are that he might just be the ideal overall definition of a C/L modeler.

My condolences to friends and family, many will miss you Lew, fly on...

« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 08:02:39 PM by wwwarbird »
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Phil Spillman

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2018, 12:36:40 PM »
Lew was an inspiration to many of us with his dry Witt and has sunny attitude. I've appreciated all the work he's done for me over the years but treasured his friendship most of all. He always added something to the atmosphere wherever he happened to be. I'll miss seeing him at the Brodak FlyIn as he will always be an inspiration to those of us in the aging group!  RIP Good Friend!

Phil Spillman
Phil Spillman

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2018, 02:26:22 PM »
We of FCM are just now seeing the news of Lew's "graduation to heaven" and we feel bad that we weren't aware in time to send flowers for the celebration of life service in Lew's memory.
We hope someone will express our sympathies to his family for us as Lew was an encouragement to those in FCM with his expressions of faith.
Just think, he has now, and is even now, seeing Jesus face to face!!  God's best to the family from FCM.
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Online Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2018, 06:19:18 PM »
Lew was one of my closest flying buddies during my time in Wichita, 1973-1977.  In addition to stunt, he was active in combat, racing and carrier at that time.

One of his acts was the dual stunt show his Eindecker and Moraine with the late Mike Tallman.

We had a great time at the Lake Charles Nats in which he debuted his Eindecker stunter.
Paul Smith

Offline Mark OConnell

• New Pilot
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2018, 12:45:40 PM »
I only met Lew a couple times at the VSC's in Tucson back in the mid 90's. On our second meeting I ordered a Silver Fox 40 for a project that I was working on at the time. The project never got finished due to time constraints but the engine is still sitting in the box with Lew's break in and running tips enclosed. Our loss is heavens gain, Lew is reunited with his legions of old friends and until we meet again Lew I'll keep that Fox 40 ready to install.

Advertise Here
Tags: engine re-work 

Advertise Here