News:

• March 29, 2024, 04:58:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Donald Lewis Jenkins, Sr.  (Read 1177 times)

Offline Don Jenkins

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Donald Lewis Jenkins, Sr.
« on: February 28, 2018, 06:57:20 AM »
My Dad, Donald Lewis Jenkins, Sr., passed away 5 February 2018, he was 87.  He served 22 years in the Navy as an Aviation Machinist's Mate (Jet Mechanic) and retired in 1969 as a Chief Warrant Officer.  After retiring from the Navy he obtained his Airframe and Power Plant Mechanic Certification, got his private and commercial pilot's license and continued to work in the aviation field until his final retirement.  He owned three private aircraft, a 1946 TaylorCraft, which he rebuilt in our garage when I was a kid, he sold that to build a Soneria II in our garage, and he had a Cessna 152 until he stopped flying all together in 1991.  He was also a master model builder.  He built and flew control line planes in the 40's and 50's and built and flew RC models through out his life.  This was his main hobby after he stopped flying full scale.  One of his favorite RC models was the Miles Racer.  He built it in 2009 from plans (photo included when it was almost complete) and he flew it for 9 years.  It was the only plane he had left when he passed, and it now hangs in my garage (photo included).  He was a great man and obviously influenced me a bit as I served 33 years in the Navy and he got me interested in control line planes when I was about 11 years old.  He will be missed.

Don

Offline jim ballard

• 2018 Supporter
  • Lieutenant
Re: Donald Lewis Jenkins, Sr.
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 09:37:08 PM »
Don, so sorry to hear of your Dad's passing. You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers....
Tempting fate and gravity one more time....

Jim Ballard
Blackwell, TX
AMA 62811

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 10:12:32 PM »
Same from the old DOC.  Sounds like he had a great life.   Now remember the good times. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 06:41:02 AM »
   I met Don's dad several times at the Huntersville field when he came out to watch us fly. He and I were not to far apart in years so we had many of the same life experiences. Fine gentleman. He built the Smoothie that Don still fly's.
Ed Ruane
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here