News:

• March 28, 2024, 11:46:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Lets see how many remember Dick Kurth at Flushing Meadows Park, NYC  (Read 1867 times)

Offline Al Takatsch

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Back in the late 60's, a fine gentleman taught me to fly control line at Flushing Meadows Park. I was 14 at the time and rode my bicycle through Queens, Corona Park and then to Flushing Meadows to enjoy weekend after weekend flying until my 20's. He was one of the nicest guys ever to have lived, and live he did. His complete enjoyment was to teach newcomers and to fly every weekend with those who also thought the hobby was the Greatest !!

I'm Al Takatsch, one of Dick's Triple Partners, Bob Rey was the third member. We affectionately called him "Bob what's his name". Not sure why Dick called him that but the name stuck.
We flew together for many years until work or other reasons took us away from Flushing. But Dick was always there, flying doubles and triples with others until they too moved on.
I spent many an evening visiting and watching Dick repair his oil soaked Ringmasters, Shoestrings and some things that didn't look like planes at all. But everything always flew on the weekend. Barely.

When Dick passed away he left a legacy of students and friends that will remember him forever as the man who loved to teach.

Anyone else remember Dick or have a story to tell?
Al T.

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Lets see how many remember Dick Kurth at Flushing Meadows Park, NYC
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 05:08:37 AM »
I believe that Dick flew into the 2000's? Jose will know.
He was a nice guy....always watched contests, but anxious to return to his students.

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 08:41:03 AM »
Taught me to fly, and spent a lot of time flying at the park on w/e's with him. Even gave me a lift to the train a few times because I did not yet have a car.

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 03:50:44 AM »
I remember having at least a couple of very nice conversations with Dick. His "Schlockers" group was a mainstay at Flushing Meadows for years. A great and very humble guy. He gave many new fliers their start in CL modeling.

Bob Hunt 
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 05:01:06 AM by Bob Hunt »

Offline Peter Nevai

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
    • C3EL
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 06:56:11 PM »
Is this the person who flew an old grungy Goldberg shoe string using a Ureely handle? Always wore green maintenace coveralls?
Words Spoken by the first human to set foot on Mars... "Now What?"

Offline jose modesto

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 07:05:12 PM »
Yes.

Offline Peter Nevai

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
    • C3EL
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 10:45:55 PM »
I remember him, He belonged to the Forest Park Model Airplane club and he had me and my dad join. They used to meet in the basement of Wilson's Hobby Shop which was on Jamaica Ave. His weapon of choice a old Shoestring with the requisite castor encrusted fox 35 and Ureely handle. He taught many how to fly, never hesitated to coach a neophyte. For better or worse he taught me how to fly inverted. "Hold your hand palm up and if you find you are getting too close to the ground then stop turning with the airplane" Worked for me the very first time I tried it. Whether it is a good or bad habit, that is how I fly. Whenever that plane is upside down my hand is palms up. Doing it any other way just feels wrong.

Any weekend when he was not at the field, his absence was noticed.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 11:08:22 PM by Peter Nevai »
Words Spoken by the first human to set foot on Mars... "Now What?"

Offline Al Takatsch

• 21 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 07:50:31 PM »
I did a control line demo today at the RDRC  Fly for Tots annual event in Youngsville, North Carolina.
After my flight I spoke to a gentleman who loved seeing control line stunt again and asked who taught me. I said Dick Kurth and his eyes lite up, turns out Dick taught him also many years ago.
Thanks Dick
Al T.

Offline louie klein

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2017, 08:21:23 PM »
When we traveled from Sufolk cnty to fly in Flushing, I remember Bill as being a wealth of knowlege, kind and always ready to help. We always felt that Bill could make a 2 x 4 fly. He would get the old motors to RUN FOR FUN. Missed.----Louie Klein 

Offline Al Takatsch

• 21 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2019, 08:39:14 PM »
Found this 40 year old short video

Dick and I flying doubles at Flushing Meadows Park, NYC

Those were the days....

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here