News:

• March 29, 2024, 09:10:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Joe Wagner  (Read 1940 times)

Online Ty Marcucci

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Joe Wagner
« on: August 11, 2020, 08:21:21 AM »
 Joe Wagner has passed away.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 05:42:12 AM by Ty Marcucci »
Ty Marcucci

Offline Phil Spillman

• Captain
Re: Joe Wagner
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2020, 10:03:57 AM »
Along with having been a talented inventor and innovator, Joe was a true friend of Control Line and Free Flight. When I moved out to Western PA my Club The Skylarks of Sharon decided to hold several Fun Flies. Prior to his relocation to the deep South, he was a regular attendee! He was very helpful to all of us in attendance and either gave away or sold at most reasonable prices copies of many of his designs some of which had been kitted by Veco. Once he move away I did correspond with him by mail as he was deaf and so couldn't chat over the phone. He will be missed as a very interesting person to have been  known and friend ed.

Phil Spillman
Phil Spillman

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2020, 10:36:11 AM »
Yet another sad loss to our modeling community.  I don't know if Joe was active in modeling in his later years.

Next time I fly my little Dakota, I'll do so in remembrance.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Dan Berry

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2020, 12:03:01 PM »
I heard a Joe Wagner tale.
It is well known that he was stone-deaf for a lot of years. He was very good at reading lips and spoke well enough. He was fluent in several languages and he took some relish in 'listening' to someone who didn't know he was deaf. Since he could read lips it wasn't that hard to understand what someone was saying. When he replied in another language was when the fun started. I'm thinking that I heard he could answer in Portuguese.

Online Guy Markham

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2020, 01:02:53 PM »
I tried for years to get the Hankerchief stunt plan. He said Veco was not impressed with the title!
You only have to floss the teeth you want to keep!

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2020, 07:20:51 PM »
Yes, this is yet another devastating loss to our community. I worked with Joe on publishing a few of his designs in Flying Models magazine when I was the Editor there, and he was a delight to work with indeed.

One of my earliest models was a Joe Wagner-designed Veco Souix FF. A photo of that model is attached, Yes, that's me at about age five or so...

Thanks, Joe, for all the great designs.

Rest in God's Good Peace - Bob Hunt

Offline Steve_Pollock

• 2019 supporter
  • Commander
Joe Wagner's "Handkerchief"
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2020, 07:40:15 PM »
Guy, I had a dialog with Joe Wagner several years ago regarding his "Handkerchief" design.  A small print was shown on Dave Day's web site which stimulated my interest.  Joe said that he never drew up plans for it.  The image below is also in a discussion regarding the Classic planes.  https://stunthanger.com/smf/open-forum/classics-list-where-is-it/msg590683/#msg590683

Offline Dick Byron

• Vendor
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2020, 06:15:41 PM »
Bob,
      You should have kept some of that hair for later needs.  LL~ LL~ H^^

Love: Dick

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here