News:

• March 29, 2024, 03:52:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: George Lieb - designer of the Triumphant  (Read 5155 times)

Offline Jared Hays

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
George Lieb - designer of the Triumphant
« on: October 23, 2016, 11:29:52 PM »
After several months of not being able to reach George Lieb, I stopped by his retirement facility in Wichita Kansas after the contest today to learn he passed away back in May earlier this year.  George was a longtime member of the Omaha Orbiting Eagles club and was a huge participant in the racing and carrier categories of control line aviation.  He did design an old time stunt airplane called the Triumphant however.  He had suffered a stroke several years ago and moved from Omaha to Wichita to be closer to his son as I understand.  I remember him being around the control line circle all my life.  He could talk to you all day about literally anything and everything.  He also could remember every detail about anything control line related from all his life.  Sad to lose another pioneer of the sport.  I shared a couple pics of him from 2008 I believe and also a link to the Triumphant he designed.

bottom row second from the left

bottom left

on the right

His Triumphant
http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=4492
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 04:37:01 PM by De Hill »

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: George Lieb
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 11:23:31 AM »
That is sad news to hear for me as I always had fun competing with George.  I know Ed Prohaska was supposed to keep us informed about George and his failing health.  First SIG contest I attended was warned about the George Lieb stories.  I think about 2 Am in the night I hit the sack as I couldn't stay awake.  He was missed around the racing circles. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline De Hill

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 07:15:53 PM »
I talked to Larry Scarinzi tonight, and told him about George Lieb. Larry, Red Reinhart and George Lieb flew together back in the 1940's and '50's.  Larry told me a George Lieb story. (as follows)
in 1950, Controline Combat was just getting started. Two airplanes were flying combat; one was a Stuntwagon powered with a McCoy .60 on 65 foot lines flying against a homebuilt airplane powered by a Madewell .49 on 60 foot lines.

George Lieb was talking to Larry and a couple of other guys holding forth at length on some subject.
At this moment the Madewell .49 airplane (60 foot lines) cut the lines on the McCoy powered stuntwagon. The Stuntwagon went up about 100 feet, and started down heading for George Lieb and the guys. Larry and the guys hollered and ran back about 10 feet. George stood there, still talking, and the Stuntwagon hit the ground 5 feet from him. George just looked over at it, and kept talking. If you ever met George, you know what Larry was talking about.

About 15 years ago, George brought a Triumphant OTS airplane (his own design) powered with an Atwood Triumph .51 to Wichita to fly in OTS. Lew and I were judging OTS that day, and I remember the airplane moving fast and not turning tight. With a lighter engine it would have been a good flying airplane. George flew racing a lot at Wichita.

George Lieb was one of a kind; I'm saddened that he has passed.
De Hill

Offline Jared Hays

• 2020 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 11:03:45 PM »
Hey Doc,  Ed Prohaska has had his own health issues flare up and is also the sole care taker of his 94 year old mother.  So he has been limited on what he is able to do in the hobby for the last 2 or 3 years as well.

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 06:37:19 PM »
I figured I share a picture from a long time ago. Fellow modeler George Rizkalla has this hanging on his wall.
AMA 13001

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here