News:

• May 01, 2024, 12:31:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Gary Dean Widmer "WID"  (Read 1963 times)

Offline Laurence Futrell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Gary Dean Widmer "WID"
« on: November 07, 2009, 12:55:50 PM »
Just wanted to pass along info we have regarding Gary for those who were fortunate enough to know him.
Gary was a long time member of the American Legion Post in Redondo Beach, CA.
We have posted info about Gary on our website [ www.post184.com ] on the Post Everlasting page.
Would like to thank who ever posted the photo from Lana Ashford as we did not have a decent picture of Gary for the page.
Regards,
Larry Futrell
Past Commander
South Bay Post 184

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
Re: Gary Dean Widmer "WID"
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 05:01:48 PM »
Would like to hear more of his life in modeling?
Don Shultz

Offline Bill Groman

• New Pilot
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 07:17:15 PM »
There must be other forum members here who knew Gary, but I'll tell what I remember about him.  He found me through my old modeling web site and introduced himself to invite me to meetings of a group of local modelers who flew free flight and control line.  Since Gary was a former C-130 pilot and I used to be a C-130 flight engineer we shared many stories of our travels "hauling trash for mother MAC".  He was a bright guy with a great sense of humor.

Gary had flown free flight competitively but decided, like many of us middle-aged modeling retreads, to finally learn the stunt pattern.  He was building a Primary Force, and emailed me from time to time asking me to help him learn some paint spraying techniques to finish that model.  His modeling skill was top-notch, and his craftsmanship was fantastic.

Gary must have been in his early 60's, but was trim and fit and could have passed for a much younger man.  It stuns me that he died so suddenly...I figured we had many years of time left to finish some stunt models and fly together.  Life is short...shorter for some than others.  Gary will be missed.   

Online Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 12:06:18 PM »
I will post again what I had written here several weeks ago.  I will add a few more comments here.

It is interesting to do a search on this forum for Gary Widmer.  You will see that he supplied some hard to find hardware, like Veco spinners, to a number of people here.  He did not post often on these forums, but his comments were well thought out and to the point.  Through him, I met Bill Groman who has just commented on the small group in El Segundo, mostly FF enthusiasts, that Gary introduced me to.  I had previously mentioned that he was into free flight.  What I did not mention that he was very competitive in Wakefield and Coup de Vier.  He flew with the likes of Bob White and others at that level.  By those who knew him when he flew competition FF, he was a top notch competitor.  When I met him, he was getting back into CL  He finished his Force and flew it once that I know of.  I always enjoyed talking with him and looked forward to the time, sometime in the future that he might consider moving from the LA area and possibly locate here in Tucson.  He would have been a welcome addition to our group here.

Now, for my previous comments:

I had the pleasure to work in the same building with Gary Widmar for several years at Los Angeles Air Force Base.  He was a civilian working for the Air Force as a procurement officer for several of the satellite programs there.  We had lunch together often and shared many stories about models and our careers in the Air Force.  He flew C-141's around the Pacific during the Viet Nam conflict.  He was a quiet man but had very strong opinions about any number of subjects.  Before I met him, he was into big time Free Flight, mostly Wakefield and Coup de Vier.  He showed me some of those rubber models.  They were absolutly works of art.  When I met him, his interest had turned primarily to control line.  He did not build much and flew even less, but the interest was still there.  Based on comments he would often send me, I know he monitored these forums regularly but seldom posted anything.  He was looking forward to move from the LA area, but would not because he was seeing after his mother.  And she survived him.

A very quiet and gentle man.  He was a friend and will be missed.

Keith

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 06:54:24 PM »
Although, I never had the chance to meet Gary in person, but I did have some e-mail contact with him.
Two years ago I was on the forum begging for one of the Vanloo Chipmunk kits done by Umland. Gary stepped right up and sold me his kit for what he paid for it. Then, he kept in touch with me making sure I had all the accesseries I needed to do the job right. I emailed him pics of the progress and he give me big pats on the back and that kept me going on the plane untill it was done. I attened my first VSC with that 'Chip.
Gary seemed like the type of fellow that would give you the shirt off his back to help you out.
Like I said, I never met him. But I'll sure miss him. :'(
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here