News:

• April 27, 2024, 11:44:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Don Schultz  (Read 2549 times)

Offline Les McDonald

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • " The Jelly Man"
Don Schultz
« on: July 11, 2016, 06:31:00 AM »
This was in my email early this morning-----it's never good when the wife sends one.

Hello,
This is Don Shultz's wife, Carol, writing to all of you.  I went thru his emails to find his buddies that he has corresponded with over the years.

I just wanted to let you know that it's been a rough couple of months for Don and he has been in and out of the hospital.  He first got pneumonia and was in the hospital from June 13 thru the 17th.  He seemed pretty good in the hospital and was looking forward to coming home.

However, once he got home he started going downhill.  He was taking heavy duty antibiotics for the pneumonia and then got terrible diarrhea.  I took him back to the ER that following Monday and they sent him home with meds for diarrhea and nausea.  He continued to go downhill not being able to get out of bed for even an hour.  No appetite etc.  I knew something was just not right.  That Thurs June 23rd I called 911 and he went the ER again at 6:30 pm and finally at 1:00 am they decided to admit him.

He was in the hospital ( St Anthony's in Gig Harbor) for 13 days.  They discovered he had a lot of fluid in his lungs and drained 1.6 liters out of his left lung and 1.2 out of his right.  His kidneys were failing, but he didn't want to go on dialysis.  They started him back on a kidney medicine that he had stopped taking in April and they started doing better.  He has many things wrong with him.  Two years ago they discovered he has microscopic polyangitis a form of vasulitis.  He has been on prednisone ever since.  He used to have 50 % of his kidneys working.  Don't know what it is now.  He also has conjestive heart failure, not to mention the crushed nerve in his back that he has dealt with most of his life.

They got him stable enough, so he could go to a nursing home facillity last Wednesday afternoon.  Then he started vomiting and had pain and nausea.  He has barely eaten a thing since he was there and lost another 10 lbs in 4 days.  He is down to 121 lbs now.

When I got to Manorcare today, we decided he needed to go back to the hospital so they called 911.  The Dr in ER said his heart is only 25 % working and is stiff.  He believes Don has pancreatitis and that's why the pain in his stomach.  So long story short they admitted him and are just going to try to make him as comfortable as possible. He is on morphine.

So if you have wondered why you haven't heard from him lately, this is why.  The kids and I have been with him as much as we can be.  Just wanted to let you all know what's going on and to keep him in your prayers.

If I have missed anyone you can think of who might want to know, please pass the word along.  Not sure he could handle visitors at this point.

Carol Shultz

I see people my age out there climbing mountains and zip lining and here I am feeling good about myself because I got my leg through my underwear without losing my balance

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
Re: Don Schultz
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 07:42:53 AM »
We'll keep him close in our thoughts. He's an extraordinary guy with immense talents and a great zest for his passions and history. Our very best to you and Don from Cleveland. - SK and friends

Online Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 07:49:20 AM »
Don and I corresponded by e mail and he sent me several things over the years.  I am very saddened to hear this news and had been wondering about him.  I will pray for you Don and the family. 

Mike

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 09:22:25 AM »
I am deeply saddened to hear of this, Don was very inspirational to me in my Avenger build. I really enjoyed getting to know him. I have a lot to say, but no words to say it
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 10:25:38 AM »
I live quite near Don and have seen him periodically over the years. I hope that he will improve so I can visit him in the hospital. Don is a very deprecating guy and would never admit to his talent, usually making some off hand comment about it being just doodles or whatever. I knew his health was declining but had no idea it had gotten so bad. He is a great talent.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 04:59:18 PM »
This is sad news as I always enjoyed reading his posts and seeing the photos.  I will pray for him and hope the doctors can make him as comfortable as possible. :'(
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 07:40:59 PM »

Really hate to hear this news. Wishing the best for "Schultzie", I've always enjoyed him sharing his incredible talents and history.
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2016, 09:34:24 PM »
I went back and looked, I sent SHultzie a message on facebook friday and he replied, I could tell his response wasnt quite up to SHultzie standards so I suspected he was not feeling well but this was a shock,
Les thanks for posting this,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline billbyles

• AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2016, 10:46:29 AM »
Has there been any further word about how Don is doing?  Miss seeing his posts here.
Bill Byles
AMA 20913
So. Cal.

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2016, 11:10:43 AM »
I know Don only through his posts here on the Forums.  He is obviously a bright, intelligent, talented guy and I also miss his postings here.  His mostly humorous anecdotes are always informing and funny.

I wish the very best for him and a quick recovery.  Please let him know that the Guys on Stunt Hanger are pulling for him!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2016, 01:02:44 PM »
Haven't heard anything from Carol (spouse) yet.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2016, 10:18:17 PM »
Don is the funniest guy I ever met. He was a big help to me as I wrestled with rejection at the Nats as a 10 year old Junior and was a great help to a little kid. Have always held him in high esteem and am thinking of him often.
Chris...

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here