News:

• March 29, 2024, 09:20:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dick Williams - designer of the Electra  (Read 4080 times)

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Dick Williams - designer of the Electra
« on: September 23, 2014, 09:54:11 PM »
Just learned that Dick Williams passed away recently.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 04:59:35 PM by De Hill »
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Dick Williams
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 03:59:36 PM »
I was about 17 when I flew in a local  stunt contest in Glendora Ca. It was sponsored by my local club, the Thunderbirds. Our mentor promised us a judge from the 500 club, and it turned out that it was Dick Williams.

After the contest, he took me aside and explained what I needed to improve, more so, he taught me how to do a better pattern.

Now move ahead  40 or so years. I wanted to build my first real Classic ship for VSC. I choose the Electra. I had forgotten the man who was so patient with me so long ago, I also choose to re-draw the plans, and publish the design. Through Bart Kaplinski, who really knew him well, I was able to meet him while attending one of the LA contests.

It was the same man, older, but still the helpful gentleman. That's how I'll always remember him.

Blue sky's and fair winds.

John Miller
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 05:00:35 PM by De Hill »
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Les McDonald

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • " The Jelly Man"
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 01:49:42 PM »
Dick Williams was the Event Director at the first Nats that I participated in. That was in 1971 at Glenview NAS and Bart K was his assistant.
At that time I was the male version of a dumb blonde, minus the tits of course, and didn't realize he was an excellent manager, organizer and worker but I did notice he was a classy guy that knew just about everything about stunt. Sure wish I could thank him now!
I see people my age out there climbing mountains and zip lining and here I am feeling good about myself because I got my leg through my underwear without losing my balance

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 01:55:06 PM »
Dick Williams was the Event Director at the first Nats that I participated in. That was in 1971 at Glenview NAS and Bart K was his assistant.
At that time I was the male version of a dumb blonde, minus the tits of course, and didn't realize he was an excellent manager, organizer and worker but I did notice he was a classy guy that knew just about everything about stunt. Sure wish I could thank him now!

Don Shultz

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here