News:

• April 25, 2024, 05:59:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dave Cook  (Read 3346 times)

Offline George Higgins

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Dave Cook
« on: April 18, 2016, 12:07:28 AM »
Dave Cook

I just got Damian's E-mail on Dave's passing. I was so glad to be able to talk to Dave several weeks ago as we had lost contact for a while.

I first met Dave at a contest at the New Bedford Airport. I think I was 15 years old? I had only heard of the "500 Club" and to see Dave and Roy Tucker fly the AMA Stunt Pattern was an education on how it should be flown. I could do inside and outside loops plus fly inverted.

I would not meet Dave again for some 15 years. We had a Club that flew in Braintree, MA. One day this Tall/Lanky Guy shows up looking to see if he could join us at our field and fly with us. This was the start of a 40 year friendship.

There was a group of us that got together that started hitting the "Contest Trail" to New York and New Jersey. We would meet at Dave's house pack up my "BLUE VAN" and head out. One of our first Contest was at the Circle Burns where we had the privilege of staying at Windy's House (Little Ferry). Ask Doug how that was.

Then there were the NEST Christmas Parties and Cookouts that Dave and Dot hosted that brought all of us together over the years.

I was glad to see the recognition that Dave received from both PAMPA and AMA.

Doug, Pam and Dave Jr,

God bless, Dave will be missed but not forgotten.

George and Cheryl Higgins
AMA 8418
Put things away in 96.
Started vacationing in NH on Lake Winnipesaukee. Bought a boat and a Snowmobile. Moved here permanently 16 years ago.

I still have "ALL" my Stuff in the cellar. I still get the urge to pickup one of my "HUNT" handles every once in a while.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Dave Cook
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 08:18:54 AM »
Another great has left us.   :'(
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 08:34:41 AM »
I will always remember Dave and Dot at many N.E. contests and of course at mant Nationals. Doug and his kids are in our prayers.
AMA 7544

Offline Les McDonald

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • " The Jelly Man"
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 02:03:35 PM »
Dave was just one of the "smart, good guys".
I didn't know him very well but he did not hesitate to help me with a judging clinic I attended about 11 or 12 years ago.
What an educated and pleasant person to talk with.

I see people my age out there climbing mountains and zip lining and here I am feeling good about myself because I got my leg through my underwear without losing my balance

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 05:38:34 PM »
I met Dave at a rural flying site in Maine, back in 2003.  He let me fly his Thunderbird that day.  Very nice man, and I'm sorry he's gone.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Phil Spillman

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 03:21:28 PM »
Dave  helped me as a Beginner back in the late '80's when we lived in Vermont. He also conducted a Judging Seminar at one of the GSCB's Stunt Forums which was very helpful to me and the rest of the audience. Later when I called him for assistance when we were living in western Pennsylvania he sent some very helpful information. I am quite saddened to learn of his passing.

Condolences to his family.

Phil Spillman
Phil Spillman

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here