News:

• March 28, 2024, 01:10:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Curtiss Comer - Designer of the Sky Dancer  (Read 2230 times)

Offline Ty Marcucci

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Curtiss Comer - Designer of the Sky Dancer
« on: February 03, 2018, 02:26:27 PM »
Just received word  that another club member has passed. Curtiss died two days ago. He had been suffering from Alzheimer's for some time. He was also a member of the Huntersville club. A quiet, very competitive modeler.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 12:31:21 PM by De Hill »
Ty Marcucci

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Curtiss Comer
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 03:18:38 PM »
Cuties was one heck of a nice guy. I enjoyed meeting him and talking with him many years ago. Yes, we have lost another amazing modeler and a great guy.

Bob Hunt

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 03:30:36 PM »
Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear that. He was one of Watt Moore's best buddies. Maybe quiet but not the least bit dull, he was fun to talk to the couple of times I met him. And he sure loved those low pullouts. For years he always won first place in the Profile event. The last time I saw him fly(maybe 2014 or '15) he had a caller in the circle with him but his muscle memory was still as keen as ever.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Will Davis

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 06:32:13 PM »
Curtis was was awarded the Carolina Spirit award a few years back for his dedication to our hobby. He served for many years as a member of the advisory board for the Huntersvulle flying field, club officer , judging , coaching and teaching new competitors how to compete in our event.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 05:49:09 AM by Will Davis »
Will Davis
"Carolina Gang"

Offline Joseph Patterson

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA member- Supporter
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 12:13:35 PM »
  Gee what a loss! Curtiss was such a wonderful guy. Got to know him at some of the GA. contests years ago. He was a very good Expert flier! I'll miss him. Godspeed to his family,
       Doug   

Offline Jim Catevenis

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 09:17:45 AM »
I am sorry to hear of Curtis's passing.  Curtis was a good friend and a great modeler, he will be missed.  I think the one thing that stands out to met about Curtis was how talented he was and how he would share his knowledge and experience with me.  For those of you who did not know, Curtis was an excellent Stunt flier, an excellent Pattern flier and also an accomplished motorcycle racer.  His obit does not really do him justice but if you go to the link below, you can sign his memory book, etc.

Godspeed Curtis

Jim Catevenis

http://www.tributes.com/obituary/show/Curtis-Eugene-Comer-105798253

Curtis was born on January 22, 1933 and passed away on Wednesday, January 31, 2018.
Curtis was a resident of Elora, Tennessee at the time of passing.
He was a veteran of the US Navy, was a former engineer for IBM and was of the Methodist faith.
Funeral Services will be conducted on Sunday, February 18, 2018 at 5:00 p.m. in the chapel of Gallant-Riverview Funeral Home. Visitation is Sunday from 3:00 p.m. until 5:00 p.m. Burial will be held in Evergreen Cemetery in Bushnell, FL.

JCAT

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 07:28:37 PM »
I will always cherish the times I spent with Curtis.  We are all better for having known him!!
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline Will Davis

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 02:48:58 PM »
I met Curtis at the Atlanta Stunt Contest in the 80 's , after that he taught me how to compete , how to coach , how to trim, all about good motor runs and most important , he taught me how to appreciate the event we call stunt .

We traveled to lots of contest together, VSC twice, AMA  Nationals  several times in the 90's , Many of the King Orange Florida tried, .. Even went on Vacations to Florida together .

Curtis took great Care of his Wife Margaret in her final years, as his son Curt took good care of him. He  enjoyed a long active life of Motorcycles, airplanes and bicycle and will be missed by all us that we're fortunate enough to call him friend
Will Davis
"Carolina Gang"

Offline Will Davis

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 12:04:51 PM »
At Field Of dreams a few years ago and at Tifton Ga stunt Contest
Will Davis
"Carolina Gang"

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2018, 01:49:30 PM »
Good pictures, thanks, Will.
Is that the Fanfare in the top pic, back and center?
And Curtis with his Sky Dancer in the bottom pic. Y'all built a few of those at the same time if I recall?
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline eric rule

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2018, 05:39:25 PM »
Very sorry to hear about this.

I had the great honor of meeting Mr. Comer and watching him fly his 35 year old swept back wing model at the King Orange contest held at (I think) Deland Airport in the early 1990's. He was very gracious, quite friendly and funny. I will always remember how he turned the reverse corner of the wing over, proceeded to drag the top of his fin along the runway and finished the maneuver. When I asked if he had done it on purpose he replied "Of course....all the guys I know do this". One of the great guys.

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2018, 01:47:55 AM »
Sorry to hear of Curtis' passing. I used to see Will and Curtis often in the 90's when I would hit the mid western and southern contests. He was a nice man and I always liked to see him. So long Curtis.
Chris...

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here