News:

• March 28, 2024, 11:41:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Carl Berryman - Combat Flyer -1928 to 2021  (Read 1614 times)

Offline De Hill

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Carl Berryman - Combat Flyer -1928 to 2021
« on: February 12, 2021, 11:54:12 AM »
Carl Berryman, 92 of Altus, Oklahoma passed away from natural causes on Friday, January 22, 2021. He passed away at his home, surrounded by family. Private graveside services were held.  Carl was preceeded in death by his parents, his wife of 71 years, Barbara (Garrett) , one brother and three sisters. He is survived by three sons and one daughter.

He was best known in Altus as the owner-operator of the Berryman Texaco service station. He was well known for his carburetor work.

Carl was a Controline Combat flyer of great renown. He won many contests, and said that Riley was the best he ever flew against.  He flew combat with Riley Wooten in the 1950's and 1960's. At one AMA national contest, Carl was flying against Riley for first place. Riley had his combat planes and engines stolen the night before, and had to borrow some planes and engines to fly the championship round. Riley could not get his borrowed engine to start. Carl declined to win the match by air time and requested a repeat match with Riley.  The judges said Ok, and Carl and Riley re- flew the championship match which Riley Wooten won. This is a great example of sportsmanship.

After Carl quit flying combat, he took up fishing which he greatly enjoyed.

Online tributes may be made at kincannonfuneralhome.com
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 08:52:36 PM by De Hill »
De Hill

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
Re: Carl Berryman - Combat Flyer -08 -22 - 1928 to 01-22-2021
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2021, 09:37:36 PM »
Carl Berryman, 92 of Altus, Oklahoma passed away from natural causes on Friday, January 22, 2021. He passed away at his home, surrounded by family. Private graveside services were held.  Carl was preceeded in death by his parents, his wife of 71 years, Barbara (Garrett) , one brother and three sisters. He is survived by three sons and one daughter.

He was best known in Altus as the owner-operator of the Berryman Texaco service station. He was well known for his carburetor work.

Carl was a Controline Combat flyer of great renown. He won many contests, and said that Riley was the best he ever flew against.  He flew combat with Riley Wooten in the 1950's and 1960's. At one AMA national contest, Carl was flying against Riley for first place. Riley had his combat planes and engines stolen the night before, and had to borrow some planes and engines to fly the championship round. Riley could not get his borrowed engine to start. Carl declined to win the match by air time and requested a repeat match with Riley.  The judges said Ok, and Carl and Riley re- flew the championship match which Riley Wooten won. This is a great example of sportsmanship.

I always wondered why he quit flying. From what I had heard he refused to talk about the hobby or why he quit. he  was a tall man and really formidable in  the circle. One of my hero's from my youth.

Offline Mike Hazel

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2021, 10:06:31 PM »
There is an interview with Carl on the Flying Lines website.  Go to the Combat section and scroll down to articles circa 2012 and look for "combat legends" write-ups.  ZZ
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 10:55:58 PM by Mike Hazel »

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2021, 10:14:06 PM »
I flew against Carl in the semi-finals of Open Combat at the '63 Nats.  At about 5-9 I felt pretty short standing next to him, but the focus is on lining up airplanes 60' away.

He came across as a real gentleman.  Unfortunately, getting extremely competitive in any event can become a burden.  Not sure why he quit, but it was a loss for the combat event in my opinion.  Better competition in an event makes us all better.

Dennis
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline De Hill

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2021, 11:03:29 PM »
Why did Carl Berryman quit flying combat?

This is what I was told:

Around the early 1960's Carl was still flying Combat, and his son had just started flying combat. in those days they were seeding opponents as to how good they were.  Carl's son had recently started flying competition combat. The powers that be decided to seed Carl's son against the very best flyers  right off the bat. Carl thought that it was unfair, and that the only thing he could do to protest the treatment  of his son was to stop flying combat. He did not even like to talk about combat for many years.

After that, he went fishing.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 01:06:54 PM by De Hill »
De Hill

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2021, 11:48:39 PM »
Why did Carl Berryman quit flying combat?

This is what I was told:

Around the early 1960's Carl was still flying Combat, and his son had just started flying combat. in those days they were seeding opponents as to how good they were.  Carl's son had recently started flying competition combat. The powers that be decided to seed Carl's son against the very best flyers  right off the bat. Carl thought that it was unfair, and that the only thing he could do was to stop flying combat. He did not even like to talk about combat for many years.

After that, he went fishing.

That seems possible; I did catch hints that his quitting had to do with "officiating".

Several years ago one of the Model Aviation columnists did a survey of competitors who had quit competing in a particular class.  He reported that a very large percentage quit because of apparent bias in judging.

I hate to see that and often feel many don't understand: Even the appearance of bias IS bias.

Dennis
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here