News:

• March 28, 2024, 04:58:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bob Whitely is gone  (Read 5534 times)

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
Bob Whitely is gone
« on: January 14, 2021, 01:31:52 PM »
It sure its hard to believe but Jan called and said RJ died around 10:30 this morning at home in Tucson. Laura and I saw him 3 days ago and he was performing for Laura taking food, drink and allowing her to wipe his face with a goofy grin while telling us a few stories. He was pretty weak then but you always think the best will happen of your old buddies and that they'll make it back once again.

Bob was around for most of my life, I think I was 10 when he started flying Stunt in the SoCal area after seeing Keith, Dad, Bill Rutherford, Don Smith, and a few others flying at the Redi-Spud parking lot near the old Mattell building. Once I was in junior high/high school he lived in Fountain Valley and we being in Huntington Beach saw him frequently, our families even camped together in Lake Havasu for a time. He was really helpful to me once I started flying Stunt and was a great building mentor and coach throughout my life. He was a great trimmer, taught me a lot about setting up engines whether they be muffler, piped, even when we flew electric RC.
Dave Passannante and I saw him a few weeks ago, and he drove out to the RC electric field to see us, I took his Eflite T-28 and radio to bind it and get it going so he could fly RC with us, he was weak and showed leg swelling then indicative of heart failure, but he kept at it and even had us to the house to show off his new Chizler. I thought we'd be flying at least RC now, but it was not to be.

I know a lot of you are personal friends of Bob and Jan but for today I'm sure Jan is overwhelmed, Kelley is there for her and we are going over in a little while but I'm sure a text or card for today and a call a little later would be helpful, just to give her a chance.
So long RJ, you were one of a kind.

Chris...   

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Bob Whitely is gone
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 02:23:19 PM »
R.I.P. Bob, It was great sharing the field when it was possible. I'll treasure what you shared, and always remember the Ice Man.

My condolences and care goes out to your family and friends.

John Miller
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 02:26:48 PM »
I cannot express in just words the depth of sorrow of loss for our community and for me personally. Bob was one of my all-time favorite Stunt people, certainly, but he was also a long-time close personal friend. We often spoke for hours on the phone, and he was always the same; a warm, friendly, humorous, engaged and vibrant person.

There never was a more competitive person than Bob Whitely. He wanted to win at everything he ever did. But, he was also always totally gracious in his rare moments of defeat. He was known by his friends as the "Ice Man" because of his determined focus when he was competing.

Bob was supportive of anyone who wanted to try and fly, trim, or build better, and he mentored many people, including me in my early years of Stunt competition.

Just the thought that Bob is no longer a part of my life leaves a hole that cannot be filled; I'm certain that many of you who are reading this now feel just exactly the same way. He touched so many lives...

My thoughts and prayers now turn to Jan, Kelly, Shawn and the rest of Bob's family, including his extended Cholla Choppers family. They need our prayers now, and knowing how many people loved Bob, I'm sure that they will feel the loving effect of those prayers in the days and weeks to come.

We have lost a number of very good and important people from our community in the past few weeks and months. Can you imagine trying to get some time on the Stunt circle in Heaven right now?  I can tell you that it has suddenly got way more competitive up there...

God Speed Ice Man.

In deepest sorrow - Bob Hunt   
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 09:49:09 AM by Bob Hunt »

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 03:06:36 PM »
Words fail! 😪

Fly high forever, Bob.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Robert Whitley

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 03:43:49 PM »
We wish to express our deepest sympathy for all who knew him.
Bob and Al’s passing is a truly horrible way to start another year.

Bob and Kim Whitley

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 04:32:10 PM »
Rest in peace Bob.
Sympathy to your family and loved ones.

Craig Beswick
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2021, 04:39:51 PM »
Oh, Dear God,

The message I hoped I'd never see...yet knew was on its way. 

God bless Bob and God bless those who knew, loved and will miss him. 

To Bob Hunt:  Thank you, my friend.  I can't imagine what needs to be said could be said any better than you gave us in your good bye.  The picture with Bob and Rich brought  back memories of a time so long ago on the calendar yet it felt so real and present that I could reach out and touch my friend...and did.

Farewell, my friend.  There will, most likely, be circles in Heaven and, if not, I've no doubt you'll make sure there will be. 

Ted Fancher

Hmmmm.  I noted a lot of the word "friends" in my post.     Good!

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2021, 05:57:19 PM »
I just checked. Bob is not in the AMA Hall of Fame. With the designs and contest wins to his credit, this should be remedied.

Perhaps one of you guys who knew him really well can do the nomination.

I am on the voting committee, and you can be sure which way I’ll go.

Contact me and I can give you clues on what the nomination should include. Most of the other committee members are RC guys and will need some serious information. I have seen some really pitiful applications come through.

DesignMan

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2021, 06:05:12 PM »
BOB called me a couple weeks ago to order some of my carbon props that will never get used .God Speed Bob
rad racer

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2021, 06:13:11 PM »
I just checked. Bob is not in the AMA Hall of Fame. With the designs and contest wins to his credit, this should be remedied.

Perhaps one of you guys who knew him really well can do the nomination.

I am on the voting committee, and you can be sure which way I’ll go.

Contact me and I can give you clues on what the nomination should include. Most of the other committee members are RC guys and will need some serious information. I have seen some really pitiful applications come through.

Hi Larry,

I have the complete file from Wynn Paul regarding the PAMPA Hall of Fame.  Bob Whitely was installed in the PAMPA Hall of Fame in 2012.  The others installed that year were Allen Brickaus, John D'Ottavio, Shareen Fancher, Ted Fancher, David Fitzgerald, Frank McMillan, Tom Morris,  and Winfred Urtnowski.

Keith

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2021, 06:29:14 PM »
I just checked the list and couldn’t find him. What gives? Computers hate me, so perhaps you can doublecheck the website and report.

Wait, you referred to the PAMPA hall. I am talking about the AMA HALL. I think he deserves the much wider recognition. Should have been done while he was here to enjoy it.

It is not too late for his family to enjoy the honor.

I certainly look on my certificate now and then with warm fuzzy feelings.

DesignMan

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2021, 06:38:59 PM »
This is some of the saddest news I have had in this hobby since the death of Gene Schaeffer. I hung out with Bob at his house in California years ago, and I can't tell you how much I enjoyed that visit. His "Miss Kell", his "Showtime" all of it was there. Very painful.
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Shorts,David

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2021, 06:48:35 PM »
Why Do I Fly Stunt? by Bob Whitely (excerpt taken from Stunt News Jan/Feb 2007)

In pursuit of the perfect stunt pattern. Looking for perfection in an imperfect world. Constantly striving to reach that pinnacle of performance we all see in our imaginations. These are some of the reasons I fly Stunt.

Back in my surfing days we were always looking for that "perfect wave". Stunt is exactly the same...the never ending question for that "perfect pattern".
One of my idols and now good friend, Bill Werwage, once said "Stunt is hard!" The fact that we are both very competitive has demonstrated just how difficult or "hard" Stunt really is.

Flying Stunt is both fun and frustrating. The fun part is in designing, building and then flying that new model...that you just KNOW is the best you ever built. The frustration part jumps out at you about the 3rd or 4th flight, when you realize it isn't quite as good as you expected. Having designed and built a few models I know these feelings well. The challenge to build the "all time ultimate" stunt ship is still there and so, back to the drawing board.

The greatest aspect about flying Stunt is all the friends I've made around the world. Never having met a nicer group of eclectic individuals. Stunt flyers come from so many backgrounds, yet the one thing that brings us together is our passion for flying Stunt. I treasure all the times I have spent with them and look forward to more of the same.

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2021, 06:59:09 PM »
Sad indeed.

He was actually the first USA pilot I ever saw flying live. It was when he came to Australia flying his Bud Lite Laser back in 1988.
I can recall it like it was yesterday, beautiful flat bottoms, and I felt like he was a rockstar coming to visit our small part of the world. He was always approachable and happy to exchange advice. Considering I was only 10 years old, he had ZERO interest making me feel uncomfortable he offered me and my dad encouragement to keep going !!

He provided inspiration that stuck with me like meeting Elvis.

If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2021, 07:12:23 PM »
 Man, got home from work last night, saw the news of Al Rabe, and now tonight it's Bob. Two of my original stunt idols going back to my first getting involved in the hobby so many years ago. I've always thought Bob's "Derringer" is one of the coolest looking designs of all time, nothing "cookie cutter" about it's appearance and it comes from my favorite era of Stunt design. Just looking at that airplane I knew the designer had to be a cool dude. I even bought the Wing Manufacturing cockpit/canopy kit at the time, thinking I'd build my own, but it's still one of many I've never gotten to.

Being roughly 1800 miles away I've only been able to attend VSC once, making the round trip drive somewhere around 2006 with my C/L buddy Keith Sandberg. I wasn't competing but spent most of my time wandering around under the radar just watching all the "names" I've admired for so long do their thing. It was awesome to be there, admiring and soaking it all in. One afternoon I wandered up closely on Bob and Chris McMillin while they were fiddling with an old full fuse F7F "Tigercat" twin. For some reason I never even said "hey" or went for any introduction, I just stood there watching over their shoulders and enjoying the time. I've always regretted that a bit since, I should have taken the opportunity to at least say "hey". My sincere condolences to family and friends, it's another real good one gone.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 07:44:13 PM by wwwarbird »
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2021, 07:26:27 PM »
Actually, isn’t that the Miss Kell?

DesignMan

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2021, 07:40:41 PM »
Hi Larry:

Nope! That's the Derringer. It shares a lot of design aspects of the Miss Kell, but it was a larger, ST-46 powered ship with trike gear, while the Miss Kell was an OS 35 powered ship with fuselage mounted, taildragger gear. Bob did produce a taildragger version of the Derringer. He flew that one in Lincoln, Nebraska at the Nats in 1979 in a failed bid to defend his Nats title from 1978. In fact, that Derringer is featured in the AMA film "Wired for Excitement" that was filmed by NFL Films at the '79 Nats.

Later - Bob Hunt 

PS: While I was typing my response Wayne posted a photo of the 1979 version of the Derringer. - Bob

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2021, 07:47:31 PM »

'79 Derringer, thanks for the clarification Bob.  H^^

Wayne Willey

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2021, 08:44:02 PM »
Why Do I Fly Stunt? by Bob Whitely (excerpt taken from Stunt News Jan/Feb 2007)

In pursuit of the perfect stunt pattern. Looking for perfection in an imperfect world. Constantly striving to reach that pinnacle of performance we all see in our imaginations. These are some of the reasons I fly Stunt.

Back in my surfing days we were always looking for that "perfect wave". Stunt is exactly the same...the never ending question for that "perfect pattern".
One of my idols and now good friend, Bill Werwage, once said "Stunt is hard!" The fact that we are both very competitive has demonstrated just how difficult or "hard" Stunt really is.

Flying Stunt is both fun and frustrating. The fun part is in designing, building and then flying that new model...that you just KNOW is the best you ever built. The frustration part jumps out at you about the 3rd or 4th flight, when you realize it isn't quite as good as you expected. Having designed and built a few models I know these feelings well. The challenge to build the "all time ultimate" stunt ship is still there and so, back to the drawing board.

The greatest aspect about flying Stunt is all the friends I've made around the world. Never having met a nicer group of eclectic individuals. Stunt flyers come from so many backgrounds, yet the one thing that brings us together is our passion for flying Stunt. I treasure all the times I have spent with them and look forward to more of the same.

I remember reading that short story in Stunt News and thinking how "right on" he was with all of it, especially the last paragraph.

Another of Bob's great written contributions was his "Things that Always Work" trimming tutorial, easily understood, excellent stuff.

Wayne Willey

Offline Warren Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2021, 09:23:45 PM »
I can't express how sad I feel at this moment, Bob was someone who was larger than life, he was known as Alpha Dog for a reason.
To be perfectly honest I don't remember the first time I met Bob, all I know is we were friends from that moment, as I try to write this I'm
crying like a baby.
So happy I was able to call you my friend.

Hoss.

Offline Chris Cox

• Commander
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2021, 09:44:17 PM »
Horrible news.   So glad I was able to sit and talk aviation with Bob in Tucson last March.  We had a lot of similar stories to share about general aviation and some of our experiences.   

God bless you Bob.

Offline Peter Nevai

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
    • C3EL
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2021, 09:50:01 PM »
Wow, first AL now Bob. I suppose god felt he needed some more CL stunt guys to judge or fly heavenly contests. A far better place they go to. My condolences to the families, and rest assured they shall not be forgotten.
Words Spoken by the first human to set foot on Mars... "Now What?"

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
    • Fellowship of Christan modelers
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2021, 04:03:28 AM »
So sorry I opened my computer, sad news. It was a pleasure to have known and competed with Bob. Rest now in Gods hands.
Praying for the family
Blessings
Allen

Offline ericrule

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2021, 10:54:36 AM »
Wow! I can not think of anything better than what Bob Hunt wrote.

RJ was a great friend & mentor. He was always ready to help out his fellow flyers and spent many hours assisting anyone who asked for his advice on trimming, building, designing or how to fly a particular maneuver. He was also one of the most competitive people I have ever met! The very last place you wanted to find yourself was going into the final round being ahead of Bob by a few points.

Bob was in my opinion one of the finest designers of model aircraft. He was right up there with Bob Palmer and Charles Mackey. RJ's models were always light, strong, simple to build and flew better than most everything else available. His models looked great, did not have a lot of gismos and were designed to perform the pattern to perfection. His finishing was also in the upper levels to put them into the front row.

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2021, 11:33:24 AM »
Such sad news. It was like having a tooth pulled without novocaine. Just about the last of my heroes from So Cal from my early days of competition flying. Even as a teen, I could see his intensity when flying a competition flight. That simple observeation gave me inspiritation and a goal to achieve. I wanted to fly like Bob!

Like others, I was at his house in Fountain Valley numerous times. I so enjoyed watching him work on his planes. He was like an artist. He had an idea in his mind  and simply made it happen
 Once again, I wanted to be like that. However, my brain just doesn't work that way.

I would always find time to sit down with Bob and talk an any and all competitions. Even in his later years, he was still competitive!!  At a Team Trials in the later 2000's, he brought his Raven and TOLD me he was going to beat my ass. I told him to "bringing on", and we both smiled and had a good laugh.

The last time I saw him was at a Golden State meet. I had just flown my last flight in a measured 30 mph "breeze", and in typical Bob style, he cornered me and wanted to know why the electric motor didn't regulate the wind up better. I had to remind him it was only a 30 mph "breeze", and asked him why he didn't fly.  Once again, a smile, and then a good chuckle on both sides. Still giving me a poke back for some of my "pranks" on him.

Rest in peace my friend. Enjoy some perfect patterns now!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2021, 12:18:52 PM »
How can I add to what has been said other than RIP Bob. :(
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2021, 01:57:12 PM »
With all due respect to Doc, this paean to our great friend, builder, designer and National CLPA Champion would not be complete without the attached.

From "Doctor Kelly" to just plain Ted.  My favorite toy airplane cover in almost 70 years of reading 'em.  None others are even close.

This beautiful plane; the beautiful little  gal holding it; her "big" little girl signature on the wing and her many years later "Doctor Kelly" addition tell you pretty much all you need to know about Daddy Bob.

None others are even close!

Ted

Oh!  What's the airplane, you ask?  What else;  it's Miss Kell!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 03:59:56 PM by Ted Fancher »

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2021, 07:06:25 PM »
With all due respect to Doc, this paean to our great friend, builder, designer and National CLPA Champion would not be complete without the attached.

From "Doctor Kelly" to just plain Ted.  My favorite toy airplane cover in almost 70 years of reading 'em.  None others are even close.

This beautiful plane; the beautiful little  gal holding it; her "big" little girl signature on the wing and her many years later "Doctor Kelly" addition tell you pretty much all you need to know about Daddy Bob.

None others are even close!

Ted

Oh!  What's the airplane, you ask?  What else;  it's Miss Kell!

Ted,

I almost clipped and posted that one last night, a cover I remember and just a great photo. What's the rest of the story though, is that Bob's daughter?

Wayne Willey

Offline Jim Rhoades

• Lieutenant
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2021, 07:45:15 PM »
    Really sad news hearing of RJ, Alpha Dog's, passing.  I have been aware of Bob's failing health for some time but hoped to be able to visit with him again.  Like others have said, Bob was a real competitor.  One of the best.  He was also a wealth of knowledge and one to help his fellow competitors out in times of need.
    His use of clipped speech came from his work as an Air Traffic Controller where getting the point across with few words could be a real help in a tight situation.  You always knew when RJ was talking.  It was time to listen and he was serious when he said he was going to beat you.
    The C/L Stunt community has lost another of it's Stars.
    Best wishes to his family and all his close friends and there are many.

Jim Rhoades

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2021, 10:41:20 PM »
Ted,

I almost clipped and posted that one last night, a cover I remember and just a great photo. What's the rest of the story though, is that Bob's daughter?

Oh dear wwwarbird, I should have been more clear.  Sorry 'bout that.

Yes, the cute little bikini model is Bob's daughter, Kelly.  The plane itself is Bob's Miss Kell.

Bob and Kelly gave me the magazine after Kelly autographed the "To Ted, Love Kelly" on the wings.  Many years later, after Kelly had grown up and become a Doctor of Pharmacy we somehow/somewhere were all together again and a now much taller Kelly added the "Dr. Kelly..." autograph just below "little Kelly's" feet.

You can tell how I treasured the original as the 1977 Model Airplane News Cover picture is pretty near pristine to this day.  It (the magazine cover page) now adorns the cover of one of my several three ring binders of hundreds of published CL stunt ship construction articles going back to the late 1950s/60s.

Hope this clarifies the mystery and my embrace of the picture and all it says about Bob, his daughter and a lucky friend named Ted.

p.s. Thanx to Chris McMillin for his timely correction to Dr. Kelly's correct title!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 11:35:24 AM by Ted Fancher »

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2021, 11:28:09 PM »

Yes, the cute little bikini model is Bob's daughter, Kelly.  The plane itself is Bob's Miss Kell.

That cover came out in the middle of the period when RC Modeler was published with somewhat similar covers but with a bit more mature individuals.

One thing that sets this cover apart from all of the rest is the bandage.

Keith

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2021, 12:22:23 PM »
That cover came out in the middle of the period when RC Modeler was published with somewhat similar covers but with a bit more mature individuals.

One thing that sets this cover apart from all of the rest is the bandage.

Keith

Yep, the look and layout is just like those old RCM covers, except for the band-aid.  ;D

Thanks for the clarification Ted, pretty much what I'd assumed.  H^^

Wayne Willey

Offline Elwyn Aud

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Inferalandings Photo Page
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2021, 12:24:58 PM »
Too many control-liners going away. Rest in peace.

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2021, 11:37:51 AM »

Yep, the look and layout is just like those old RCM covers, except for the band-aid.  ;D

I think the story about that bandage was that it was there for a real reason, she had a scratch.  They had forgotten that it was there until the picture was published.

Keith

Offline dennis choate

• 23 supporter
  • New Pilot
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2021, 01:29:32 PM »
Bob touched all of us and he is missed

Offline Lanny Shorts

• New Pilot
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2021, 07:33:01 PM »
It must have been around 1969-71?, I first meet Bob. He flew up from LA to attend a WAM contest that we held at Delta
College in Stockton, California.  I know some of you remember "Western Association of Modelers" or as most would say. "Mom
Coad Contest". Arlie Preszler was the CD of this event. I was his assistant and after meeting Bob I said, "Boy, is this guy wired".
My next encounter with Bob was a truly wonderful experience. It was at the 1978, Nats in Lake Charles. I was CD along with
Arlie. At that Nats Bob flew his Derringer to first place and also won the Walker Cup.  There was a five gallon water tank on site for those out at the field. Bob won the Walker Cup and so for fun we made a sign that said, 'Walker Cup' and taped it on the tank as a presentation to Bob at the field. Go on 'You Tube' and type in: Control line stunt 1979 Nats. Bob was truly having a good time as he received his "Walker Cup Trophy".  My last visit with Bob was at the 2020 VSC. We were sitting together watching some flights and I told him I was building a Formula S. Bob spent the next 1/2 hour explaining to me all about the model and what to do to make it a very competitive flyer. At each of our 'California Stunt Championships' Bob was always there and I always made sure to 'pick his brain', so to speak. Like many of you, I to have the July, 1977, issue of 'Model Airplane News' with his daughter holding his model 'Miss Kell.  If you can hear Bob, "You will be missed".

Offline Reuben MacBride

• Ensign
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2021, 09:19:45 PM »
Sad to hear about Bob. He inspired my son Steven with his flying  stunt. One year Bob won at VCS in Tucson and the next year my son Steven went up to Bob and said I been practicing as you told me and you better watch out I am gonna beat you this year. Well that got bob off his chair when I was up and that's all I wanted was to get him to see my improvements. I don't think he was worried at all. Another story I like to tell was at Golden State Stunt Championship it was a very windy day and Bob just got done putting in his flight. I asked Bob how to fly in that kind of win and he said fly as if you stole the plane. Well I picked up his plane and started to walk away. Bob yelled what are you doing with my plane? I said I am going to fly it as I stole it. It was always fun to talk to Bob and he inspired my son Steven with his knowledge.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here