News:

• March 28, 2024, 11:45:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bill Rich  (Read 5442 times)

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Bill Rich
« on: March 19, 2021, 08:01:14 AM »
I’m sorry to say that Bill passed Monday

Funeral Ceremony @ Hillsboro Memorial Cemetery at 1:00 pm. April 5th

2323 W. Brandon Blvd, Brandon, FL

He was a great guy!

Offline EricV

• Lieutenant
Re: Bill Rich
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2021, 08:23:33 AM »
This really hits hard. I haven't flown in a while, taking a break... then Covid...then this. You couldn't ask for a nicer guy to fly with. Bill mentored me right up to giving the Nat's a shot. He put up with a lot of stupid questions and never told me to buzz off, and he was never afraid to just say "I don't know", which meant he never sent you down rabbit holes. I never saw anyone who liked to practice so much as Bill (except maybe Steve Fitton...), he doggedly pursued that perfect pattern. We would joke and cut up a lot, and he would laugh about his stunt callous from his Kaz handle that would inevitably form on his palm during all the practice right before the Nat's. This is a big loss for our club and to CL in general. Best wishes & sympathy to Shirley and the Rich family, he will be sorely missed.

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2021, 08:42:15 AM »
  Hundreds of times it was just Bill and i at our private flying field. I do remember with how much fun it was.
 Miss you Bill
EddyR
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2021, 08:49:17 AM »
This news is like getting hit with a hammer today.  How terrible.
I met Bill around a decade ago when I returned to the Nats venue.  He wandered up while I was getting ready to put up a practice flight on the L pad.  He said "I'm Bill Rich-PAMPA president".  He jumped in to launch my airplane.  He asked where he could squeeze the airplane.  I told him anywhere he wanted to just like his girlfriend-just gently,  and we were fast friends since.  Two years ago he returned to the Nats , and made the Top 20.  I returned the greet "I'm Dave Trible-PAMPA president".  We had a belly laugh.  Bill taught me what it takes to make the grade in this event and that is to practice relentlessly.  You are at the field early and usually the last to leave.  I'll miss my buddy Bill.  Our sport will miss Bill.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2021, 08:49:29 AM »
This is sad news. I saw Bill last at the Palmetto Contest. He will be missed.

Best,    DennisT

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2021, 10:38:00 AM »
So sorry to hear. Bill was a great guy.
My favorite memory of Bill is back 30 or so years. He was working his way up the stunt ladder and had finally made the top 20. Now, he really liked cobbler, and he would sneak out every day in the middle of competition to get some cobbler.
Well, when he made the top 20  he discovered that he couldn't leave the field at his regular time because he had to be there for both flights. So what did he do??

He brought a whole tin of cobbler to the field and ate it when he wanted. He shared some of it with his friends also, so nothing would go to waste! 

The ever resourceful Bill.

Will miss you buddy

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2021, 11:31:31 AM »
Such sad  news,  GodSpeed  my friend ,  you will  be  missed  and remembered

Randy

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2021, 01:37:52 PM »
Bill asked that I help dispose of his "stunt stuff"...
I got rid of most of it....thanks to those that helped...I'm certain that he was pleased.

I still have some left....I am going to round it up and offer it as a lot....with proceeds going to Dr. Sparky....

Watch the classifieds.

Thanks

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2021, 07:08:59 PM »
Bill was the best.  I will miss him a ton.
Steve

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2021, 07:17:43 PM »
Bill was one of those very rare individuals about whom you never heard a negative word. He was a gentleman and a sportsman, and, he was a lot of fun to be around.

I had been talking with Bill on the phone for the past couple of weeks, and even though he was presenting an outwardly confident and hopeful face, I just knew that this day was coming soon.

My favorite Bill Rich story dates back a few years to a very windy top 20 day at a Nats (2012 as I remember...). Bill had flown what he thought was a very bad second round flight and was putting his plane away in his car. He was sure he hadn't qualified for the Top-5. Well, the flight turned out to be not so bad after all. I had seen his score and walked over to him to congratulate him on making it to the final day of competition. He wasn't amused; he thought I was just busting his chops. "That's not funny, Bobby," he said. I assured him that it wasn't a joke and he went to the pavilion to check the scoreboard. When he saw that I wasn't kidding him he came right over to me, gave me a huge hug and apologized for snapping at me. I fully understood his initial reaction, but we had a great laugh over the whole thing. What's sad for me is that the next day was the last day I got to compete against Bill.

Rest in God's Good Peace Mr. Rich; you made all our lives richer just for knowing you.

Bob Hunt   

Online Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2021, 09:49:11 PM »
Rich,

Sorry to hear of the loss of your friend Bill.  Much appreciate the folks sharing here, mentioning that he liked to practice.  It's early in the season for a lot of NVCL members, but I'll be practicing tomorrow.  My impression at Brodak's 2019 was that folks further South than Virginia, in Florida, some practiced more than once a week.

Peter

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
    • Fellowship of Christan modelers
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2021, 05:40:27 AM »
Sad news for sure.
Got to fly with Bill many times when Jan and I would vacation in Florida in the winter months.
Great coach, competitor and friend. Thanks for the memories Bill.
Blessings

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2021, 06:07:53 PM »
  I have known Bill most of my life. I met him going to the King Orange Contest in Florida when I was probably 8-9 years old. He dominated that contest for many years, and we joked that his name was all over that perpetual trophy, like a rash. I really got to "know" Bill when we were on the US team in 2010. He and I shared a room, and were launching partners at the field.  We had a wonderful 2 weeks, and had some very memorable moments together,  like finding a huge swimming park that was part of our hotel, but completely hidden unless you knew it was there. Of course we took a swim, before we informed the rest of the team. Coming back in swimming trunks  and towels didn't seem to go over too well. It was 100 degrees "inside" the hotel....

I will forever cherish the time we had together Bill. Godspeed my friend.

Derek Barry

Offline MikeyPratt

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2021, 04:50:26 PM »
I’m very sad to hear this, Bill was a hell of a guy and good friend to many of us.
He will be missed, and my heart goes out to his family.
Mike Pratt

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2021, 06:21:16 PM »
I was able to get Bill to take some flights even while wearing his jet pack (O2).
Last spring, I believe

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2021, 07:18:04 AM »
This is really sad news.  Bill was a great guy.  I always looked forward to conversations with Bill at the nats.  He was a fierce competitor as well.    I am glad I knew him and I will miss him.  Here is in 2012 during one of his many Saturday morning appearances at the nats.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 07:39:32 AM by Doug Moon »
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Online Les McDonald

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • " The Jelly Man"
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2021, 06:39:50 AM »
I never did get to spend much time with Bill but when we did get to visit I remember we laughed a lot.
Like Doug mentioned, a more fierce competitor would be hard to find but he rounded that out with common sense, respect, humor and a wonderful personality. 
I see people my age out there climbing mountains and zip lining and here I am feeling good about myself because I got my leg through my underwear without losing my balance

Offline bill_gruber

• New Pilot
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2021, 09:23:34 PM »
So very sorry to hear this news. Bill Rich was a great flier and steadfast friend. Many good hours spent with him at stunt camps and the 12th Street Cafe!
Rob and Bill Gruber

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2021, 10:30:19 PM »
I can only echo what's been said.  Good bye my friend; rest soundly in god's embrace.

Ted Fancher

Online Les McDonald

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • " The Jelly Man"
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2021, 06:42:52 PM »
This afternoon I attended Bill's funeral and interment.
I was not aware that Bill had been in the Marine Corp so today's service was even more special.
 Taps, salutes and The Flag provided some stirring emotions from all in attendance.
I am honored that he and I were comrades in service and stunt buddies in spirit.
I see people my age out there climbing mountains and zip lining and here I am feeling good about myself because I got my leg through my underwear without losing my balance

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2021, 10:19:43 PM »
I never did get to spend much time with Bill but when we did get to visit I remember we laughed a lot.
Like Doug mentioned, a more fierce competitor would be hard to find but he rounded that out with common sense, respect, humor and a wonderful personality.

What a great picture, Les.  Only wish I had one like it with Bill.  A good man.  A great friend.  A fierce competitor and, once again, a Good Man.

Ted

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2021, 08:38:40 PM »

Online Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2021, 07:36:03 AM »
In honor of Bill's custom of practicing a lot, Gerry Glier and myself put in a number of flight's on Bill's SV-22 yesterday.  Flies great.  My first time flying a piped plane.

Peter

Offline JerryRaimo

• New Pilot
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2022, 10:49:38 AM »
I flew with Bill Rich before he moved to Florida.  He was my coach in beginner and intermediate.  Bill was flying mostly profiles in intermediate back then. We lived about a mile apart in the Philly suburbs and went to the PA and NJ contests together.  Great road trips.  I remember him photocopying  early issues of stunt news in his basement.  What a smell it made.     When he jumped to advanced he had just built an LJ (Large James) with his first ST 60 in it.  He went on to win his first 6 advanced contests and then was a top 20 NATs flyer a few years later.   Great Great guy.  I went to a few King Orange contests in late 80's to hang out with him after he left the Northeast.   I still miss him.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here