News:

• April 30, 2024, 04:05:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: August C. "Gus" Vogle  (Read 1045 times)

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
August C. "Gus" Vogle
« on: June 15, 2013, 09:46:07 AM »
     I posted this in the Scale section, and just wanted to put it up here for those that don't frequent that section

Just a quick note to pass along the information that August C. "Gus" Vogle has passed away at the age of 88 this past Tuesday, June 11, 2013. Gus was a very long time member of the Lafayette Esquadrille club here in the St. Louis area and was a WW-2 vet, retired Ozark Airlines engine mechanic, life long modeler, genuinely the nicest guy you would ever meet, and a good friend to many. If you had ever attended our Broken Arrow Stunt and Scale contest, you probably have met Gus as he usually judged the scale events. His funeral arrangements will be published in the Sunday edition of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch and I will add them here as soon as I can to make sure they are accurate. I'm sure that the Funeral Home will have an on line guest book that could be accessed for those who knew Gus and would like to post a memory of him.  He was active in our club until very recently, even after moving into an assisted living facility. It seems like I have known Gus all my life, and there is much that I would have liked to talked to him about but never got the opportunity. He got his A&P certificate from the old Brayton Flying Service at Lambert Field here in St. Louis, and my Uncle Bob was one of his instructors, a fact that I found out about just in the past year or so. To say that he will be missed is an understatement, and I treasure my friendship with him.
  God Speed to you Gus.

Best Regards,
 Dan McEntee
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 11:46:04 AM by Dan McEntee »
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Mike Griffin

Re: August C. "Gus" Vogle
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 10:29:59 AM »
So sorry to hear about his passing Dan.  We are losing more and more as time goes on.  It is life but does not make the pain of missing them any easier.

Mike

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 11:07:25 AM »
  As promised here are the funeral arrangements for Gus:

Visitation Monday, June 17, 2013 from 4 to 8PM at oak Hill Funeral Home, 10301 Big Bend Road, Kirkwood, MO 63122. Funeral service Tuesday, June 18, 2013 10AM at Oak Hill Funeral Home. interment to follow at Oak Hill Cemetery with Full Military Honors. In lieu of flowers contributions may be made to the American heart Association. Online guestbook at www.stlouisfuneral.com .

Dan McEntee
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 10:10:46 PM by Dan McEntee »
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 06:01:32 PM »
I am sad to hear this. He was a fine person and gentleman at all times. He hand built a turbine jet engine that was like jewelery. I know he passed it on and I hope to see it run someday.

Tight line Gus
AMA 12366

Offline the original Steve Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • Fly Stunt!
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 09:43:51 PM »
Dan, I just checked and the site is www.stlfuneral.com not www.stlouisfunerals.com .  The second one is a dump site that is not active, just has junk links.

Also, he is listed as August Vogle.  Did not know that Gus was short for August.

Sorry to hear about Gus.  I knew he was slowing down but I did not know he was ready to move on.

Thanks for the update.

Steve
Thanks,
the original Steve Smith
AMA 2112

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 10:14:36 PM »
  Hi Steve! Man, long time no see. Thanks for catching that. Must have been a dangling pinky that got the "s". I've always know him as Gus, but I had another old friend in my sailplane days that knew him way back before the Lafayette Esquadrille when it was the Double Cola Club, and he called him "Augie". Hope to see you at the field some day soon.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 10:17:28 PM »
I am sad to hear this. He was a fine person and gentleman at all times. He hand built a turbine jet engine that was like jewelery. I know he passed it on and I hope to see it run someday.

Tight line Gus
  Hi Bob;
    John Garrett has the jet engine. from the look of the combustion chamber on it, he got some kind fo fire lit in it along the way. Did you ever see his concept model of a wind powered car?  Absolute work of sheet metal art. I don't know what happened to that, but I would be proud to own it. It actually work , too! y1
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here