News:

• March 28, 2024, 12:57:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Charles Mackey, Another great has fallen  (Read 1917 times)

Offline Warren Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Charles Mackey, Another great has fallen
« on: August 04, 2020, 07:59:47 PM »
Sorry to report that about one hour ago Charles Mackey passed away, I don't have any other details as of now.

RIP my friend.
W.W.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 04:38:33 PM by Warren Walker »

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Another great has fallen
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 08:17:13 PM »
So sad to hear.  But, I was privileged to get to meet him at a VSC and to buy his book plus plans he had. :(
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Larry Fernandez

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 08:32:10 PM »
So sorry to hear this Warren. I met him a couple of times and found him to be a warm and classy gentleman.
Kinda makes your new Lark a little more special.

Larry, Buttafucco Stunt Team

Offline builditright

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • So happy to be alive!
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2020, 08:53:56 PM »
Hi Warren,

Sorry to hear about this.
I had the honor and pleasure to chat with him several years ago
when we talked about me kitting his Mackey Profile design.

He was a really nice man.

Thank you and God Bless
Walter
aka/ builditright

Online John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2020, 09:00:11 PM »
I spent several contests talking with him about his "Monster". What a neat guy. He will be missed. Tight lines, and fair winds. RIP.

John Miller
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline ericrule

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2020, 09:11:49 PM »
Charles Mackey was not only one of the greats in control line he was an outstanding gentleman and it was my great honor to call him my friend. I will forever enjoy looking at the hand drawn painting of his Crusader that he presented me to commemorate my building 7 of them. I can say without any doubt that if it was not for the fact that Charles published over 65 model aircraft designs in various model magazines I would have gone crazy living in the snows of Canada waiting for the spring to go flying again.

Offline Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2020, 09:35:25 PM »
Sorry to hear of this loss. 

Here's a bio:  https://www.modelaircraft.org/sites/default/files/files/MackeyCharlesAllenJr.pdf

His book sounds interesting, as well.

Peter

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2020, 05:35:19 AM »
This is devastating news. Charles was - and still is - one of the icons of our beloved event. His outside-the-box thinking inspired many, including me, to be more adventurous in designing. I am proud to have counted Charles as a personal friend. We had many great conversations that were wide ranging in subject matter. I was honored by Charles to have been asked to write the Foreword for his book, Pioneers of Control Line Flying. 

The Stunt designs in Heaven just got a whole lot more interesting.

Rest in God's Good Peace my friend.

Bob Hunt

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2020, 06:05:46 AM »
I had the rare privilege to work with Charles on the development of the Cox Me 109 Super. Stunter. Without his input it would have been a mess! We will miss you Charlie! 😥😢

Charles was head of Cox quality control in those days, and if you are in awe of the company reputation, you can put part of that on him!

My boss asked me why Charles and I argued so much. I said we cooperated very loudly. And it was true. We both respected the others knowledge and explored the truth between what we “knew”.

A real gentleman I will miss. Snif....

In recent years Charles has been an active member of a southern RC club and designing a variety of simple foam park flyer models. Always attractive to see and good flyers. The last time I saw him he was as always as active and cheerful and full of energy as ever. That is the image I will always preserve in my memory of him!

I will update this post as I remember stuff about Charles. He was someone very special.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 07:49:55 PM by Larry Renger »
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2020, 06:29:27 AM »
  New Charles when we were both young men. We talked more about cars than model airplanes.
 Still had my first car at that point 1955 Chevy convertible.
EddyR
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 06:56:06 AM by EddyR »
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline dennis choate

• 23 supporter
  • New Pilot
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2020, 05:52:57 PM »
He was real and truly a Gentleman of Class!  H will be missed.

Offline De Hill

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2020, 07:54:42 PM »
Charley spent a lot of time honoring elder modelers throughout his life. Larry Scarinzi told me that Charles Mackey had a great deal to do with Larry being inducted into the AMA Hall of Fame.
Charley had a great deal to do with me being awarded an AMA Fellowship.
I last talked to Charley a month ago. I didn't realize that it would be the last time.
Farewell, old friend.
De Hill

Offline Ara Dedekian

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Ara Dedekian
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2020, 07:31:26 AM »
I was honored by Charles to have been asked to write the Foreword for his book, Pioneers of Control Line Flying. 

Bob Hunt

Here's the copy of, 'Pioneers of Control Line Flying' that Charles autographed for Dave Slagle. Dave was considered one of the C/L pioneers and was interviewed for the book.

Ara

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2020, 01:38:45 PM »
I had the rare privilege to work with Charles on the development of the Cox Me 109 Super. Stunter. Without his input it would have been a mess! We will miss you Charlie! 😥😢

Charles was head of Cox quality control in those days, and if you are in awe of the company reputation, you can put part of that on him!

My boss asked me why Charles and I argued so much. I said we cooperated very loudly. And it was true. We both respected the others knowledge and explored the truth between what we “knew”.

A real gentleman I will miss. Snif....

In recent years Charles has been an active member of a southern RC club and designing a variety of simple foam park flyer models. Always attractive to see and good flyers. The last time I saw him he was as always as active and cheerful and full of energy as ever. That is the image I will always preserve in my memory of him!

Larry : That was a nice flying Cox model. You and Charles did a fine job with the design. Both of my sons flew it after soloing on the PT-19 trainer. I messed around with it, too- after a 25 year hiatus from control line. Recall glassing the foam wing together more than once. Sorry I got rid of it a dozen years ago.
I remember reading about Charles' designs back in the early 60s.

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2020, 01:47:04 PM »
So sorry to hear this. I read Mr. Mackey's book and many articles. He respected and preserved history and made quite a bit himself. I admire several of his designs and wish him Godspeed.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here