News:

• March 28, 2024, 07:26:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A tribute to Rusty Brown  (Read 1853 times)

Offline Jim Kraft

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • AMA78415
A tribute to Rusty Brown
« on: March 22, 2009, 01:30:38 PM »
Rusty had a great sense of humor. I remember one time at a Topeka contest, Rusty was walking Sugar Baby back to the car for something, and Sugar Baby gave out a little Yip!. Rusty turned to Sugar Baby and said, "Sugar Baby, you know we don't drink beer before ten O'Clock."

Another time Rusty and I were talking engines as we usually did, and I told him that I had a pretty good running Madewell 49, but that the crank had broken. Well! A couple of days after the contest was over I got a package in the mail. You guessed it. A brand new crank for a Madewell 49.

Rusty and I were pitting for each other at the Nat's in old time, and we were both the last ones to fly for the day. Rusty put in a really good flight and we went and looked at the scores. Rusty was in 7th. Rusty said with a smile; "If I had known I scored that well I might have tried a little harder."

The first time I saw Rusty fly his Taurus with the Fox 59, I knew I had to have one. Rusty sent me the plans and gave me lots of instructions on how to set up the Fox. When I switched engines to the Anderson Spitfire, Rusty was again the guy to go to for help.

More than all of the help I got from him, was just the chance to hang out with one of the greatest guys in modeling I have ever known.

Rusty truly loved people and modeling; An inspiration to me and many others. Rusty; You will be missed, but we have our memories.

Jim Kraft

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: A tribute to Rusty Brown
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 07:04:20 PM »
Yes Rusty was missed very, very much at VSC this year.  It early 60's if not the mid 50's when I first met Rusty.  He was alway fun to be around.  Like when at VSC when I flew my Staggerwing and every one asked me it I forgot to count the laps while inverted.  He asked me if I still sang, if so remember the one-a, two-a, three-a we always did to start a song.

My son's high light was the first Denver contest we attended.   Rusty came to me an asked if I was flying Formula 40 racing event.  I stated no and asked if he needed a pilot.  Told him to ask JJ my son.   They got first place and JJ was so high thinking he was worthy of flying one of Rusty's planes.

Mikey did have a moment of silence in Rusty's honor Saturday night at the banquet.  I think there were some tears shed for a moment thinking of the happier times.   

DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2021, 10:41:57 AM »
I have Sugar Baby posing at a contest somewhere....Tulsa! Rusty enjoying a nap, his faithful doggy companion guarding the camp, Elwyn Aud, cameraman extraordinaire in the background.

dg

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2021, 11:07:18 AM »
Yes that is Tulsa.   I first met Rusty at a Flying Eagles contest at KCK City Park.  That was way back in the 50's.   There are so many stories and it is getting hard to see to type. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here