News:

• April 16, 2024, 12:53:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sig Akromaster/Fox .15  (Read 9545 times)

James_Mynes

• Trade Count: (0)
Sig Akromaster/Fox .15
« on: October 26, 2013, 05:28:25 PM »
I was about 14 years old and had built some Estes rockets, and consequently had frequented to hobby shop a bit and those airplanes looked pretty cool. When I asked how to get started, the owner recommended a Sig Akromaster as a good starter airplane. I took it home and built it, doped it up in white and black, and went back for the Fox .15. The following Saturday I met Bob Kilby, Dave Goodwin, and Tim Doughty at Pettengill Park in Auburn, Maine and we did some flying. Bob helped me get airborne and flying level was a piece of cake. Then the other guys flew and did some stunts, so I just had to do some, too. Bob helped me through my first couple of loops, his hand covering mine, then I wanted to do it myself. I did a really pretty figure 9 and bashed the Akromaster into splinters.
Well, the hobby shop had another Akromaster kit, so I built it on the kitchen table, had it ready to go for the following Saturday. Clear dope only, let's see how long this one lasts... I don't really remember all the details after that, but the Akromaster was followed by a Banshee, a Magician, some Flite Streaks, and a Stuka Stunter.
Girls and cars displaced model airplanes for a while, then when I was about 30 I got into speed limit Combat. The foamies went together quick enough, and I even cut some of my own wings for a little while. Then, of course, life gets busy and things get put on the back burner...
Now I have dug out all my old stuff, got four planes flyable, three partially built, and about ten kits on the shelf. I just bought out a local guy after trying to talk him out of selling, and I now officially have more stuff than I can possibly use in my remaining lifetime. One of the kits on the shelf is a Sig Akromaster. Others are a Banshee, a Magician, and a Flite Streak. I'm going to build them for the memories, and others just for fun.
I'm looking forward to good times with old friends, and hoping to make some new friends along the way.
See you out there.

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • "Never fly faster than your shoulder angel"
Re: Sig Akromaster/Fox .15
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 03:11:21 AM »
Nice story...
Cars and girls... Where have I seen this before????? LL~ LL~

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

"There's no try. Do or Do not." - Master Yoda

"Wealth and fame, he's ignorant
Action is his reward, look out
Here comes Marcus, man..."

Offline James C. Martin

• Ensign
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 07:11:01 PM »
very cool start was 3 I think watched my dad start and fly a control line airplane the noise scared me but I loved watching that plane fly as I got older my dad got me a  stuntman 23 and a baby bee engine we built this plane and we went to the local school field and flew it first flight ok rough landing then got the hang of it next plane was a scientific mustang , then a big otto all half a planes he then got me a ringmaster with a enya 29 cool have been addicted ever since never get enough control line building a ringmaster imperial have a gieseke nobler and a arf nobler a sterling skylark its a beast  and an arf oriental im flying my start was because of my dad

Offline bob jablonski

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 09:42:39 AM »
Planes and rockets. Same combo that I grew up with. And still play with. They just got bigger and MORE expensive.
Mr. Bob
Countyline Hobbies
Groverown, IN.
574-540-1123
countylinehobbies@yahoo.com
www.countylinehobbies.com

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here