News:

• March 28, 2024, 08:29:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Return to C/L  (Read 5039 times)

Offline John Craig

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Return to C/L
« on: November 06, 2013, 06:49:38 AM »
Over the years, a friend of the family gave me a few cast off models that he longer wanted, hand launched glider, a rubber power FF, well worn engine, Cl plane that had internal damage from an on board fire. Just enough to get the desire burning.  I lived out in the country with no fliers near nor hobby shops close by.  I saw an article about 1960 in Boys Life, the Scouting magazine, about an easy to build & fly C/L trainer.  With a bit of help I was able to build it & learned to fly upright  (OS Max 15 II).  Next was a RM Jr with the same engine.  I never learned inverted flight or anything but inside loops & wingovers. College, Career, R/C, & family put a hold on my C/L endeavors.  A very slow start again in the 1990s into control line.  Finally the time, place to fly, a very small C/L club & I have learned the basics. It takes many times longer to learn new tricks when you are in your 60s.  Still have that OS 15 & the ST 35 that I got as gifts as a teenager. Built another RM Jr.  I will have to build something for the ST-35 that never had a plane that lasted very long.  Perhaps even enter a contest.

James_Mynes

Re: Return to C/L
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 12:13:28 PM »
Glad you're back at it, John. Many of us have similar stories, getting into it as a kid, the 'stuff' we never got rid of, and now the second childhood. That ST 35 would look mighty good on the front of a Flite Streak.

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • "Never fly faster than your shoulder angel"
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 09:51:29 AM »
I guess Doc is right, we never really grow up....

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

"There's no try. Do or Do not." - Master Yoda

"Wealth and fame, he's ignorant
Action is his reward, look out
Here comes Marcus, man..."

Offline Kozmo77

• 2014 Supporters
  • New Pilot
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 10:06:44 AM »
Hello all- wonderful to read your posts about those old models . I built a stick and paper 15cent kit that my neighbor picked up at a LHS in 51 or 52. He showed me how to build on plans with wax paper. Never forgot the experience. One of my Dad's friends bought me a hobby knife set(a really good one) and I know I cut myself up pretty good using it. Wish I still had the kit and model and my old Tomahawk. Berkeley SBD Dauntless and Torp 15 and several scratch builds from the 50s and early 60s. Still have my Combat CAt. Flite Streak CG Shoestrong, and now a gift RM and two more build off plans and three scratch builds plus a tool box full of engines. Still have my RH McCoy 35, 21 blackhead McCoy 35. OSMax 35S from the 50s and mid 60s. I'd like to think we all "grew up" over the years. Ran businesses. had careers,raised families so on and so on, but down deep we still have a first attachment to our hobby and craft. That will never go away. The sound of those sweet little 2 cycles and the pull on the lines is unique and never duplicated anywhere else. So in that sense we are still young and alive.  y1  Thanks for being unknown but important friends.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here