News:

• March 28, 2024, 05:39:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Passed Down  (Read 2294 times)

Offline David Fretz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
Passed Down
« on: March 22, 2018, 06:20:46 AM »
My father introduced me to control line flying at age 8 in 1957. At the time, my parents rented a home across the street from a school in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio. The victim was a .35 Fox size Veco Tomahawk. Maybe two laps then you guessed it, a lawn dart. Been hooked ever since. Plane repaired for more hard learned lessons. I enjoyed building and repairing (making heavier) as much as flying (crashing) part of learning. The Sterling and Top Flite kits were $3.95 back then, but I still could not afford them. At that young age I moved into 1/2A for a while. Discovered most could not stunt. My favorite was the Kingpin. Dad scratch built a three wing Fokker. it flew as well as any other 1/2A model. Then he scratch built an all metal 1/2A size British SE5 with curved wings, Looked great but that one never got off the ground. Engine of choice was Cox .049.
    Moved back into .29/.35 Fox and Readheads as finances allowed due to getting a paper route. Planes at the time Sterling Mustang and Ringmaster - Top Flite - Flite Streak. Continued to learn that the ground does jump up at flying airplanes often. I even flew while in basic training at Fort Eustis, Virginia with a buddy from Minnesota. The ground in Virginia is more forgiving than the ground in PA has been in the past.
    Introduced my son into flying at a young age like my Dad did to me. We have been flying together ever since. One day we were invited to fly, in Greensburg at a school. This was the first time I ever saw a square loop. I was amazed, did not know that was possible! In looking back, he probably was doing the full pattern but I was too ignorant to recognize it. This is the problem with flying with only family. Not seeing anything new. I have been invited many times to attend the week long Brodak flyin. but could not take time off work. This was my loss! All these years (there have been many) I always believed that speed was the answer to good stunt. I was wrong. Never knew there was a set pattern to learn.
     Speaking of speed, one time My Uncle and I were flying combat. He cut most of my streamer off quick as his plane (light, fast and beautiful) would make two laps to my one. I planned to pull up as he passed overhead tagging his streamer. Misjudged and flew through his outer wing. He finished the flight with only the inner wing. He never flew combat with me again! Turns out he spent months building that plane.
    Now a days, I get dizzy from prescriptions side effects, limiting my overhead maneuvers. I am updating plane choices better suited for "todays" stunts. Now, I support my son who started attending the week long flyin at Brodak. He is improving with each flight.
    To be young again when learning was easier! Old habits are difficult to unlearn. Like screaming toward the ground on the down leg of an attempted square loop. Yikes!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for reading. Sorry it is so long.

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Passed Down
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 09:11:09 PM »
I also have been flying a long time and have never learned the stunt pattern.  However I do agree with you that the down leg of a square loop is Yikes!!!!!!!!!!  But I hope to start learning the stunt pattern this summer.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline David Fretz

• Ensign
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 01:15:17 PM »
Hi John, nice to hear from you. I plan to remain a fun flyer as I can no longer fly overhead without getting dizzy and nearly falling over. Old age and meds are against me. I wish you good luck with your flying but make sure you appease the GODS before flying or you may find a jumpy land area at a very unfortunate moment! Dave.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 03:52:15 PM »
Are you referring to the gravity holes that some times pull the plane down no matter it attitude?    At my age I do some imaginary over head flying while out side with the dogs.  Also when I do get out and fly I do quite a few wing overs. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline David Fretz

• Ensign
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2018, 03:55:19 AM »
Yes, gravity holes are a problem.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here