News:

• March 28, 2024, 01:54:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: OK. Here's my story, once again  (Read 2005 times)

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • owner
OK. Here's my story, once again
« on: May 02, 2019, 06:06:03 PM »
I did this autobiography thing before, but all the old posts were wiped out.

Let's all go back to 1942.  Yes, WWII was new then.  I was a Cub Scout aged 9.  I won a rubber band kit at a scout meeting.  It actually flew (a little bit).

Fast forward to 1944.  I had been spending my weekends at the local park watching people fly C/L.  So for Xmas in 1944, I got my wish; a new O&R 23 engine!  These were actually available during the war in small numbers.  One had to fill out a form from Ohlsson & Rice Co. saying that I was planning an aeronautical career and this engine would be an educational tool.  In time for Xmas, the new engine arrived at my LHS fresh from the factory with my name on it.  My parents paid $18.50, a bunch of money those days.  A friend had an old free flight model called Spook 48.  He showed me how to install a bellcrank and elevator control.  The O&R 23 just barely got it off the ground on 50' lines.  At least I became "one of the boys" at the park.

Very soon after, better and stronger engines appeared on the market, so after an O&R 29 front intake, there was a Torp. 29.

I'll stop there, because otherwise my modeling activity would cover more pages than "War and Peace".

Here is a recent build of a 1940 Modelcraft Spook 48.  This time, for electric motor and R/C
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: OK. Here's my story, once again
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2019, 10:01:27 AM »
I love reading about my heroes in modeling.  I think you should write a book about your history including any thing to do with airplane, model or full size.  If not enough for a book, maybe install it in the 'Model Library" section of this forum. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2019, 10:12:07 AM »
I'm afraid my exploits at full-scale flying would be too long and boring.  My Focke-Wulf 44 restoration was a project of 7 years.  Could have been less, but I had to completely re-build those all-wood wings.  Lots of epoxy used.

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 06:48:26 PM »
That doesn't look "boring" at all! There are lots of guys on here with great stories that many of us (well me anyway) would like to hear. How about an outline, or short story format? Maybe at different phases of life, jobs, whatever. Full scale as well as model stuff. I bugged my own dad to write stories about his WWII Army Air Corps flying experiences, but he never did, and it went with him, to the loss of me and my family. The AMA writes up biographies of notable modelers, it could be something like that. Just the finding, restoring and flying the FW biplane is worth a chapter or two. Give it a try!

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 10:10:04 AM »
I have a way to go before I can be considered a "noteable modeler". 

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 10:48:49 AM »
My helper seems unconcerned that I am trapped inside a wing!

Just like building a big model plane. Lots of little sticks. In fact, notice I use straight pins to hold down the plywood during glueing.  No nails anywhere in the all-wood wings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here