News:

• March 28, 2024, 02:11:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My start  (Read 2958 times)

Offline Michael Palm

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
My start
« on: April 14, 2014, 03:53:18 PM »
How i got my start in the hobby.
My father was in to model railway, and in Sweden there was a magazine that’s called Allt Om Hobby (All  About Hobby) He got this magazine every month, there was a lot about modeling in all shapes in this magazines and I read all about everything. And then in 1972, when I was 10, there was an article about how to start flying U/C, in the next issue there was about how to continue with more aerobatic planes, and I read this and looked at the pictures and got really impressed. And I read and looked.  A year or so after these articles I was on to my father to build the plane in the article and by a engine to it. And he finally agreed and said I was old enough. And we bought the plan and I start to build it. In spring 74 it was finished and my father bought an engine to the plane, it was a BX 2,5 diesel,(from east germany I think) very cheap. and my father tried to get It to run, but he did not manage to get it run constantly. So he contacted the local club, Kungsbacka MFK, and there was this guy, Alf Eskilsson , who was a competitive stunt flier in Sweden at that time. He got the motor running and thougt me how to fly. And when it was time for the aerobatic stuff he said the engine was not powerful enough. So my father bought an OS 20. Alf learnd me the wingover and loops and inverted. And it went on, a few more OS 20, Veco 19, and several planes, and I managed the whole pattern. OS 35 and Twister, oaow, I got in to my first competitions and it was fun! Then a nice guy gave my an old Argus, it was so easy to fly, but sadly it didn´t survive very long.  Time to build a few Noblers (modified off course).  I think I was 17 and placed 7:th in the Swedish championships, and back then it was around 25 participants, so I was a bit proud. But I got older and girls and cars were more interesting. And finaly when I was 20 I made my military service and then the interest was gone. Fishing became the main interest for 30 years, I have built rods and made baits so something is there, something needs to be created with my hands..

I have kept an old Nobler in all years and it was hanging from the roof of my home. My son had always admired it, and 3 years ago when he was 10 he said that he want to try to fly model planes also. Ok, so I built a trainer for him and contacted the old club. Alf was still there, he got real happy when he saw me again after 30 years. I loaned a Banshee and flew some rounds, and get hooked again. So now theres is no more fishing, just stunt flying, me and my son.  It goes real good, I placed 4:th in the last Swedish championships, so now they will send me to Poland this year :)

R/C is disco, C/L is Rock n Roll

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: My start
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 06:57:30 PM »
Michael -
   Did you ever meet a Stunt flyer from Ronneby?  I can't remember his name, but he was a good flier back in the 1990s.  In fact I once drew a pencil sketch of one of his models that was featured in a PAMPA calendar.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 07:44:19 PM »
Michael, that is a great story.   I know you and your son will have many happy times together.   My son didn't like stunt, but tolerated me flying it.  His thing was Carrier and Racing.   Also those events let him compete as he did not like building planes.   Oh I still have a couple that he put together and never finished.   It has been too many years now that we have not been to contests together.  Maybe when he get settled more he might come back just for kicks.  Now did I say thanks for a great story. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Michael Palm

• 2018 Supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 12:46:03 PM »
Mike, I think it must have been Erik Björnwall. He has been into stunt since the fifties. He was one of them i read about in my fathers magazines. Actually I have never seen him fly, but he visitied my clubs contest last autum, so maybee his coming back. And John, Its great to have my son with me, and about building planes, its hard to get him to do that, its just the flying thats fun.
R/C is disco, C/L is Rock n Roll

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 03:26:28 PM »
Yes, it was Erik.  Thank you for the name.  I just recall him as being a very nice guy.  We corresponded by mail when I worked in Kuwait during the 1990s.  I was at the '96 World Champs in Norrkoping (as a spectator), but can't remember if I actually met him there.  (Growing old plays he## with the brain cells!)

« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 05:15:51 PM by Mike Keville »
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here