News:

• March 29, 2024, 05:56:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My sister's boyfriend  (Read 18569 times)

Offline Rich Perry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
My sister's boyfriend
« on: April 19, 2016, 05:48:24 PM »
  Relatively speaking,  I feel I am a youngn' to this game.  I am not sure If I will ever feel different, as control line has been going a long time.  So with that, I would like to tell all of you my story.

It was 1983 and I had just gotten' home from playing a little league football game.  I was 13 years old.  I went down stairs, and sitting on a table in our Rec room was a beautiful blue Ringmaster, which seemed to be staring back at me!    Instantly I was excited.

Now I was not new to model airplanes.  It seemed my dad was always building something, and he had built several CL planes in the past (Sig Banshee, Super Chipmunk), but he was never really interested in flying.  And I will never know why.  We had built stick and tissue models, but primarily I was interested in plastic models mostly up until that time.  I had tried my hand at some stick and tissue models myself, but was never entirely successful.  But seeing that Ringmaster was THE moment.  I think I was finally old enough, and mature enough at that time, to be successful  with model aviation.

The Ringmaster in question was built by my older Sister's boyfriend at the time Andy.  I am not sure what my relationship was like with him was before I saw his Ringmaster, but he became one of the most important people I have ever known after that moment.

After helping him fly his plane, I just had to have one.  So I spent that next summer mowing lawns, so that I could afford a new Ringmaster kit, and a new Fox .35 stunt engine.   Of course I went through my trials and tribulations with this first serious model airplane endeavour,  I consider this that Epoch moment, when the world changed for me.  I was hooked from that moment on in the basement.  Andy and I flew together a lot during that time, and then he led me to a large degree into Radio control.

It is amazing the twists and turns my model aviation career has taken since that time.  Especially considering I have always loved competition.  In 2014, I made the trek to the AMA flying site to enter the National championships.  I flew AMA radio control Expert scale.  On my way out, leaving the flying field, I stopped by the combat circles.  Where an old combat friend let me fly one of his FAI combat models, for old time sake.  ( I flew combat seriously for 10 years in the 90's)  Not sure I can blame it all on him, but this year (2016) I will be traveling to the AMA Nats again, flying control line combat. 

Thanks Andy, you are responsible for a fantastic journey, and it continues.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: My sister's boyfriend
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 10:15:09 AM »
Amazing how things work.   I just hope there is a NATS for you to go to. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Rich Perry

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 06:08:58 PM »
I hear ya about the Nats.   It may be all we can do to preserve our hobby before too long.  But meanwhile, I am going to get as much of it as I can.

Offline Patrick Finnigan

• New Pilot
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 02:07:15 PM »
You're a yougn'! I was 5 years old in 1983! :-D

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re:
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2016, 05:14:49 PM »