News:

• March 28, 2024, 03:14:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My 1st plane was not mine  (Read 7864 times)

Offline Steve Agrella

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
    • Steve Agrella Photography
My 1st plane was not mine
« on: May 26, 2015, 05:38:23 PM »
My little brother got a Cox PT19 for Christmas in 1969, I was so jealous I could hardly contain myself.
I tried to help John John learn how to start it and fly it but he had no interest in it, however he did love the smell of Cox Thimble  Drone and for some unknown reason loved to launch the plane for me.....lol I was good with that.
So that started my obsession with control line airplanes, when the big boys showed up with the Ringmasters and the Noblers I was in awe of the sheer beauty of those planes and how well they flew, man I was hooked.
I built several 1/2 A planes, I could not afford the bigger planes, I had a paper route so that was all I could afford, my Father was never around so sort of had to figure stuff out on my own.
I left the hobby when I went into the service in 1970, 11 years ago my grandson Jayden was born, as soon as he was old enough to talk he would want to go into my garage to see my Ringmaster, he would point up to it and say  wingmasta, wingmasta, as he got older he became more and more obsessed with that plane, when he was 5 he asked me if he could fly it, I chuckled and said maybe when you get a bit bigger, he said how big, I said probably when your 10, he fround at me...lol.
I started him out on a coroplast wing with a black widow, he mastered that plane after about 30 crashes, so we built a baby clown, he flew that and landed it on the 1st try, amazing coordination this kid has, so you know what the next question was, hey grandpa how about the ringmaster....lol, by the time he was 6 he was flying the Ringmaster.
Now 5 years later he has a Ringmaster, a Nobler, a Oriental, a P40 and a Cardinal.
Keeping the hobby alive, his 3 year old brother is looking hard at the planes, better get the coroplast and start building a wing....lol

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: My 1st plane was not mine
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 10:26:49 AM »
Way to go with the young lads.   Take it from me let them try asap.   My son made his first flight with some help on a 35 size plane.   He did fly the 1/2A's but he liked the bigger planes better.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline bob jablonski

• Lieutenant
Re: My 1st plane was not mine
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 09:12:38 AM »
Way cool. Just shows your never to young to fly (ok maybe 6 months old is pushing it).
Mr. Bob
Countyline Hobbies
Grovertown, IN.
574-540-1123
countylinehobbies@yahoo.com
www.countylinehobbies.com
Like us on facebook

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here