News:

• April 19, 2024, 05:44:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: it was plastic  (Read 2333 times)

Offline JerryRaimo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
it was plastic
« on: April 06, 2014, 06:32:53 PM »
I re'cd a plastic wen mac flying wing when I was about 7 as a gift.  It was about 1962.   We went down to Roosevelt Stadium parking lot in Jersey City where there was a regular group flying almost every evening. 

Of course I ground looped it and destroyed it. 

Following advice of the regulars we built a Profile Trainer #3 with a McCoy 35 and I learned to fly.   The local pros were called Buddy and Bernie and helped us beginners tremendously.

Within a year I was competing at balloon bust in Garden State Circle Burners and other contests.  Union ran a nice contest back then and I also remember a yearly one in Livingston NJ and going over to the old Worlds Fair Grounds in NY.

After about 3 years we began flying profile carrier  and later came slow combat.  No stunt until later in life in the 1980s.

Jerry Raimo

Online afml

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Re: it was plastic
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 05:10:31 AM »
Hey Jerry,
I had (have) one of those 'flying wings' also. Landing gear lasted about two landings, then the plastic just couldn't take the stress.  LL~  Still have the 'wing'. Been searching for 'the rest' of it. At least an affordable one!!!  HB~>
Mine is "The Bat". Which one did you have? My next plastic plane was the Wen Mac blue dive bomber. WAS able to find enough parts to restore it. Then I discovered the old saying was true. "Balsa flys better". Never went back to plastic. However I did buy a Cox PT-19 for the twins. Just because I never had one as a kid. My first BIG airplane was a Carl Goldberg 'Cosmic Wind'. Saved all my birthday money for that one. Dad said: "Go ahead and start on it & I'll give you a hand when I get home from work". Well.....it was all put together when he got home! Dad was a FF and speed flyer from the early days. Even won a couple of trophies, but somehow managed to grab my handle and try to 'stunt' the Cosmic Wind. His most often repeated maneuver was the famed 'Figure 9'! Needless to say I got a lot of experience rebuilding the plane.
Thanks for the neat story. "Tight Lines!" H^^
Wes
Wes Eakin

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here