• March 28, 2024, 05:25:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Intro  (Read 1748 times)

Offline Craig A

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Intro
« on: January 17, 2020, 12:43:44 PM »
Hi all. My name is Craig. I got my start with my brother and cousin in the Chicago suburbs back in the late 60's early 70's from my Uncle Don and Uncle Jim. My uncles got their start in Bellwood IL back in the 40's. We did our first flights with a cox pt-19 with our uncles holding our hands. My first plane was a purple plastic trainer which the name escapes me right now. Once we mastered the plastic trainers we moved on to building our own 1/2A models with a cox golden bee 049. We flew those into our teens and then when I was 15 bought a combat streak already finished at a flee market. Put my uncles fox 29 on it and took it for a spin. Crashed that one on the first flight. Fixed that one and built a couple others but flew less and less as high school and college went on. Mid 90's got my Buster and P-40 going again and got a little flight in. Crashed the Buster. Packed em up and moved to rural southeast Missouri. No hobby shops around here. Pulled my P-40 out about 2010 and got a few flights in. Crashed that one too. The last of my planes in flying condition. Packed everything up and put them in the attic. My teen son is now asking to learn to fly so I have pulled out the planes and getting ready to make repairs. Going to start with the combat streak since it only has minimal damage from being stored away for 35 years.

Offline Jim Mynes

• Commander
  • Chelsea, ME
Re: Intro
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, 02:40:21 PM »
Welcome, Craig! I’m not from southeast Missouri, closest I’ve been is the five weeks I spent at Fort Leonard Wood a while back. There has to be someone on here near you. It would be a good idea to link up with someone nearby to help you dip your toes back in the waters.
Hopefully someone near you will chime in.
I have seen the light, and it’s powered by a lipo.

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Intro
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2020, 09:37:15 PM »
Welcome back.  Fond memories of the Combat Streak and Buster back in the 60's.  Our family home is in Branson.  My brother lives there now but I haven't been back in a long time.  Beautiful part of the country.  Of those three planes you mentioned the Streak is probably the best flyer but the Buster, if you can repair it is a better trainer.  Good luck, keep us posted!

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here