News:

• March 28, 2024, 11:16:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I guess somebody has to be the first...  (Read 5817 times)

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • "Never fly faster than your shoulder angel"
I guess somebody has to be the first...
« on: October 14, 2013, 12:23:50 PM »
Well, one of my first memories from very little is dad starting one 2.5cc diesel engine he had from his modeling days, and the PBY "Catalina", a plastic model he built that had folding floaters at the wing tips... My old man could build... anything...
So naturally when I was about 5 or 6 I started to show interest and started to assemble little plastic models, then hand-launched models.
I stuck with the plastic models for very long, actually I still build them, rarely, but love them.
So, one day dad said to get ready to go out... and we went to a model shop, the most traditional model shop here in São Paulo, and Brazil.
I was happy, I was going to get a new "kit" (dad bought me kits all the time.... cars, planes, boats...), and that was when he told me he was buying a CL model, a .15-sized trainer semi-scale of the ME 109...
Got bit by the bug.... The problem was dad never had time to build... so after some months of waiting, one day he got home from a business trip and the wing was ready... I had built it... And then some more time to have things happening, and then there was I, flying my third lap by myself, the coach behind me and my line broke, disaster... Built a build-up fuselage model that weighted a ton.... Got my first 35 engine.... Lost first big ship due to sliping hinges...
Due to studying, there was a long break, but I aways had a friend who had a CL model so I would eventually fly sometime...
Mother called sometime ago... Wanted to throwout my model stuff.... Got my things there... The feeling I hdn't had for a while....
I guess you can get theguy out of Control Line, but you can't get the Control Line out of the guy...
Now, at 42, action sports start to get more "difficult" and Drag Racing has become very expensive, I'm 100% controlline.

THanks for Reading

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

"There's no try. Do or Do not." - Master Yoda

"Wealth and fame, he's ignorant
Action is his reward, look out
Here comes Marcus, man..."

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
Re: I guess somebody has to be the first...
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 09:45:48 AM »
I was about ten when I discovered some older guys, probably teenagers or young college students, hurling OK Cub 14s into fifteen feet of brown, tannic-acid-tinted  D'Arbonne Bayou water.

(Probably ought to stop reading now)

Dreaming of owning a gas model motor since age five, I sneaked through the sumac, hoping I might snag an errant toss. But they saw me and began hurling beer bottles at me, not Cub 14s. Jaxx, Dixie, and Falstaff, if my memory serves. I had no recourse but to R-U-N-N-O-F-T!

Later that night, I returned to the bridge, stripped, and entered the tepid ooze that was D'Arbonne. I had high hopes of diving to the depths and retrieving my prize from the Louisiana muck. The bayou was teeming with aquatic life, turtles, frogs, gars, nutrias, snakes....I really wanted a gas model motor! But, even pulling myself downward with the aid of Cypress knees, I couldn't get to the bottom...just too deep. On my last dive, head throbbing, I felt an object in the bole of a Cypress knee, and running my fingertips across it, my tactile senses ciphered, "OK".  

(Hey, you had your warning...)

Next day, after a bath and cleaning up the motor, inspection revealed it was really well-used, but it was all there and the glow head was good. I ran the motor in our garage, door closed, of course. (Top Flite 8x6, Testor's "39") Curiously, I still heard clearly the frogs' symphony of the previous night, which continues to this day, some sixty years later.

I built a Guillow's Trixter on which I mounted my Cub 14...my dream was realized...I had a gas model airplane! From that humble beginning, I learned lift (or lack of), drag, power (or lack of) mechanics, electric circuits, First Aid, and tether cars. (Centrifugal force was lacking in this curriculum, and VGs were yet to be discovered, still buried deep in the primordial ooze of Oz, awaiting discovery by someone willing to swim in crocodile- infested waters, but, I digress...)

With left arm raised and eyes lowered, I proffer this treatise,  :)
dale g

« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 10:10:17 AM by dale gleason »

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 10:09:35 AM »
May as well stop right now, folks.  We couldn't top THAT.  LL~  LL~  LL~
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • "Never fly faster than your shoulder angel"
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 11:30:11 AM »
Dale

That's a cool story!!!! :)

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

"There's no try. Do or Do not." - Master Yoda

"Wealth and fame, he's ignorant
Action is his reward, look out
Here comes Marcus, man..."

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 02:07:23 PM »
Great stories all. I love reading them. Thanks for posting.
I can't say I'd have the nerve for noodling glow engines in the bayou though. LL~

Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 08:22:59 PM »
Late '40s, was building (more or less) StromBecker solids and Monogram Speedee-Bilts.  After winning a kids' solid scale contest in the summer of 1950, I was invited by the CD of that meet, former AMA President Everett Angus, to fly in his Stinson Voyager to a AAA contest in Millville, NJ.  That was my first exposure to powered models, both FF and CL.

Quite an eye-opener for a 10-year-old.  Things haven't been quite the same since!

Much later, I learned that (a) then-5-year-old Bob Hunt was at that same meet, and (b) Everett Angus was the grandfather of Jim Vornholt.

Small world!

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 08:43:32 AM »
All my feeble attempts at comic relief aside, I think that most of we "Old-timers" came into this world when the world was just getting over WWII. Airplanes were the tip of technology, control line was fairly simple, aviation was at an all-time popular high, we just HAD to do it. If Dads weren't mentors, Hobby Shop owners were. Unless you were old enough to have a car and the resultant girlfriends, a control line "bomb" sufficed.

It's just the way it was....then.

And that generation led the way for the next round, except it started getting diluted with RC and later computer oriented technology. Still, even today, there are a few "youngsters" who carry the torch, they get started in the hobby even though they may not want to all that much...:)

Edit: I hope I haven't strayed too far off topic, how we got started is a very good subject to reflect upon.

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 09:33:26 AM »
I love that group picture. Strange tho, I've looked at it a number of times and just noticed the Kenhi Panther on the right. I was always attracted to the swept wing models because they're sorta unique. The Panther is a favorite of mine and a new one is on the build list.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline don boka

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 09:59:59 AM »
Hi Randy.
Sure is a Panther. I had one in the fifties and made a bad choice of power with a K& B 35 Greenhead for that thin airfoil. That thing was fast! Upper cowl was touching the exhaust stack and burned some of the dope and balsa leaving some charred material behind. Slowed it down with a K & B .23 and it flew well in its day. Why I did not use a Fox I will never know.

Don Boka.

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 07:05:31 PM »
Panther won the Classic (then called 'Nostalgia') event at the first VSC in 1989.  Bob Whitely.  Not certain, but believe he used an OS Max .35.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here