News:

• March 28, 2024, 10:21:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How I got my start in the hobby  (Read 14321 times)

Offline ringmaster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
How I got my start in the hobby
« on: January 28, 2015, 06:15:52 AM »
Hello, I am a second generation control line flyer, my dad flew control line for years, he always built Top Flight Nobler and Top Flight Combat Streak his favorites, he flew for stunt. I grew up with Sterling Ringmaster and Sterling Mustang and Fox 35 motors I flew for years too. I got out control line flying for a few years and in 1982 I went to the hobby shop one day and asked for a Ringmaster and Mustang kits he said that Sterling had gone out of business. I asked the owner of the hobby shop what had for control line kits. He said he had two kits they were Sig Twister and Sig Banshee I still have those kits today. I use those kits for templates and plans to build my planes I still fly today. I use OS motors now LA40 and LA46. I am thinking about getting in electric planes with my Twister and Banshee. It is hard to get glow fuel down New Brunswick, Canada. Not many any hobby shops here, all mail orders for control line flying. You cannot get glow fuel in the mail here. Thanks.

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: How I got my start in the hobby
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 08:11:37 PM »
Electric is truly a good option.  A big segment of RC has gone electric making for lots of goodies to pick from.  I fly control line both ways but all of my new stuff is electric! 
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 02:38:45 AM »
Got my start in 1976 when I went to Jr High at Libby Jr High here in Spokane.  My science teacher, Orin Humphries, ran a model club that met after school once a week. (wed I think) .  Flew for years then by the late 80's got away from it until last year when the bug bit hard again.  Had kits still on the shelf and before I knew it I was building a Shoestring Stunter.  4 birds done now and going.
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 11:53:42 AM »
Have not heard that name In ages and often wonder if he was still with us.  I remember threatening to move to the area so I could be competitive in carrier again.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 08:30:03 PM »
Have not heard that name In ages and often wonder if he was still with us.  I remember threatening to move to the area so I could be competitive in carrier again.
Orin is still alive and kicking.  Though at 75 he is a tad slower, and a bit grouchier....lol.   You should see the electric powered F-84 he had been building for the last 4-5 years.  Spent a lot of money on archival quality copies of the original plan drawings for the thing from the Smithsonian. Mere copies or other reproductions simply weren't "correct".  This thing will blow the scale competition out of the skies. Its electric powered, with the motors in the wing tip tanks.

I well remember the days at the NW Regionals (then at Eugene) where he routinely dominated class 2 carrier with his Corsair.  I was there at the school for its first flights, and I was there when it crashed and was wrecked beyond repair in a practice.  Then you guys got a break before he showed up with Mk-2, this time in a grey color scheme (Mk-1 was blue with a yellow cowl).  Then it was a fight for 2nd again for a long time.

Here is Mk-1, resting in its attic tomb

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 04:17:00 PM »
Talked to Orin the other day. Mentioned this (frustration at seeing him show up for carrier) and he said "ah yes, but it was fun torturing people ". 

Offline Joe Otto

• 21 supporter
  • New Pilot
  • To try for perfection beats attaining mediocrity
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2017, 04:05:46 PM »
Was goofy over airplanes for as long as I can remember.  First model I can recall building was a stick and tissue Lockheed F-90. Way cool since the Blachawks flew them. Ribs and other part printed with blue ink on sheets of balsa and a used double edged razor blade to carve them out. Must've been '47, maybe '49.  Still infatuated with airplanes and in eighth grade control line entered my life. Didn't realize the good fortune at the time but Jim Silhavy (of Magician fame) was a neighbor who flew CL near the electric plant in Cleveland.  Great role model who remains an inspiration to me today. Joined USAF (still hooked on airplanes) and after discharge, obtained pilots license and had a incredible career as a corporate pilot.  Never had to work; just fly an airplane and got paid to do what I'd probably have done for free.  Got into RC until a detached retina, along with being in my 70's ( late adolescence) ended the jet pilot stuff and put a serious damper on RC. So now doing control line and maybe RC with 6' or larger wings. Still somewhat goofy about airplanes; I think it's addictive!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2017, 03:45:44 PM »
Yep, never give up as model planes is what keep us going. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here