News:

• March 28, 2024, 03:06:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hi new here!  (Read 7865 times)

Offline David Fountain

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Hi new here!
« on: April 17, 2015, 05:54:42 PM »
Hi everyone new one from Middle Ga!
I first got my start back in the 70's when my dad got me a Testors Fly'em P-51 for Christmas and believe it or not we actually got it to fly and if memory serves me it was quite fast. Later I ended up with the much easier to run and fly Cox PT-19 and flew that untill I graduated to my Dad's McCoy Redhed .35 powered Ringmaster which was around 79-80 shortly afterwords I got exposed to RC and flew that till a few years ago. Now I'm trying to go back to my roots and have dug out my old Baby Bee powered 1/2A Skyray and have built another Skyray powered by a Red Arrow .049 from EX engines. I've also just finished up a Brodak F4F Wildcat and will soon begin construction on a Brodak S1 Ringmaster which will be finished up in remembrance of my Dad's old Ringmaster in hopes that he may want to try his had at flying again. :) (Dave)
If it ain't broke, Don't Fix It!!

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Hi new here!
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 07:04:03 PM »
Kewl.

If you want to get into competition that Ringmaster will work out well in Old Time stunt.  You can even eke out a respectable score in regular stunt -- if you say "with a Ringmaster" after your score!
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 08:48:19 AM »
Welcome back Dave!

It is only fitting that you want to have a Ringmaster like your Dad's that you flew back when! Keep the new Ringmaster build light and you will have a great flying plane!

Also, you will be ready to participate in the Annual Worldwide Ringmaster Fly-A-Thon the first weekend in October! Doesn't cost anything - - all you do is fly your Ringmaster over the weekend and report your flights to be tabulated with all the other Ringmaster fliers around the world! Last year over 400 pilots flew Ringmasters for the Fly-A-Thon! This is just a way to celebrate and promote Control Line model aviation.

You may be interested in another forum dedicated to Ringmasters. The Brotherhood of The Ring : www.brotherhoodofthering.info
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline David Fountain

• New Pilot
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 09:47:47 AM »
Welcome back Dave!

It is only fitting that you want to have a Ringmaster like your Dad's that you flew back when! Keep the new Ringmaster build light and you will have a great flying plane!

Also, you will be ready to participate in the Annual Worldwide Ringmaster Fly-A-Thon the first weekend in October! Doesn't cost anything - - all you do is fly your Ringmaster over the weekend and report your flights to be tabulated with all the other Ringmaster fliers around the world! Last year over 400 pilots flew Ringmasters for the Fly-A-Thon! This is just a way to celebrate and promote Control Line model aviation.

You may be interested in another forum dedicated to Ringmasters. The Brotherhood of The Ring : www.brotherhoodofthering.info
Thanks for the warm welcome! Yea as they say What goes around Comes around. I mainly fly 1/2A but I've always wanted a ringmaster since flying my Dads way back the only difference will be the power which will be a NIB 40th anniversary stunt .35 that I've been going through. Still have to put the burp stick in (Not taking any chances) then break it in. and thanks for the info about the Fly-A-Thon I would like to participate in that. Speaking of the Brotherhood of the ring, I've tried to join a week ago and have still yet to receive an ok to activate my account don't know if I screwed up or not (Shrugs) I also have a Twister kit to build later on going to try my hand at learning stunt and may use the Ringmaster to learn some of the maneuvers while building it. Thanks guys! (Dave)

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 11:37:01 AM »
Dave,

Re: Registering for the Brotherhood Forum.  I have heard others say that they have trouble getting registered. I am not a part of the administration of the Brotherhood Forum but I think if you email David Strawn or Dee Rice  they may be able to help you get going on the Forum.

David is dstrawntx@verizon.net and Dee is golfrice1@yahoo.com
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 06:13:01 AM by John Cralley »
John Cralley
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline David Fountain

• New Pilot
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 09:24:51 PM »
Dave,

Re: Registering for the Brotherhood Forum.  I have heard others say that they have trouble getting registered. I am not a part of the administration of the Brotherhood Forum but I think if you email David Strawn or Dee Rice  they may be able to help you get going on the Forum.

David is dstrawntx@version.net and Dee is golfrice1@yahoo.com
I tried the e-mails and both bounced back might be my browser anyway about the brotherhood forum I noticed while registering, you have to have full name and location, I don't see a separate slot for location do you add it with your name? if you do, that's where I messed up. Thanks for the help man :) (David)

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 06:30:00 AM »
Dave, My bad! Clumsy fingers an a tablet helps me to goof! Both emails were bad but I have corrected them now. Anyway, here are the correct addresses:

Dee Rice golfrice1@yahoo.com and David Strawn dstrawntx@verizon.net

I do not know about the registration form but I do know that you must use your REAL name and list a VALID email address or you will not be approved for membership on the Forum. I believe this is to help keep scammers from joining the Brotherhood!

Keep trying to join because it is a good forum with a number of helpful members and a wealth of information about control line modeling (not just about Ringmasters alone).
John Cralley
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 10:53:46 AM »
The Twister is a good kit to start learning stunt.  Personally I think that something flapless, light, and with a fairly long tail is better, like a Skyray, Phil Cartier's Gotcha Streak, or a TEOSAWKI -- the reason being that until you're about halfway through Intermediate, flaps aren't going to help your score but they are going to make it harder to build, trim, and repair your model.

If you go that route, wait to start building the Twister until you start flying Intermediate.  The plane works well as-is, but it's better if it's Fancherized.  Ask around until you find a set of plans for a Fancherized Twister and do all the mods (if you want to go there), slap an LA-46 in the nose (it's more engine than you need, but it can easily be toned down), and go learn how to fly better.

(I'm still flying a Fancherized Twister that I built for Intermediate and finished two years ago.  I'm now flying Expert.  I really really need to finish building a better plane, but I can still improve my scores with the Twister -- so, it must be a pretty capable plane).
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 10:06:17 AM by Tim Wescott »
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline David Fountain

• New Pilot
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 09:58:27 AM »
The Twister is a good kit to start learning stunt.  Personally I think that something flapless, light, and with a fairly long tail is better, like a Skyray, Phil Cartier's Gotcha Streak, or a TEOSAWKI -- the reason being that until you're about halfway through Intermediate, flaps aren't going to help your score but they are going to make it harder to build, trim, and repair your model.

If you go that route, start building the Twister until you start flying Intermediate.  The plane works well as-is, but it's better if it's Fancherized.  Ask around until you find a set of plans for a Fancherized Twister and do all the mods (if you want to go there), slap an LA-46 in the nose (it's more engine than you need, but it can easily be toned down), and go learn how to fly better.

(I'm still flying a Fancherized Twister that I built for Intermediate and finished two years ago.  I'm now flying Expert.  I really really need to finish building a better plane, but I can still improve my scores with the Twister -- so, it must be a pretty capable plane).
Actually I have the plans and am planning on making at least most of the mods. power is going to be an FP40 modified to prevent runaway. I'm planning on starting on it later when I have some time under my belt so I can take advantage of it's capabilities and not make myself look like a total idiot! :P (David)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2015, 10:11:34 AM »
Actually I have the plans and am planning on making at least most of the mods. power is going to be an FP40 modified to prevent runaway. I'm planning on starting on it later when I have some time under my belt so I can take advantage of it's capabilities and not make myself look like a total idiot! :P (David)

+1 on the plan!! 

Lots of people modified the FP 40, not always to good effect.  If it just doesn't seem to have the oomph to drive a Twister around the sky then find an unmodified Tower 40 (I have one and it's a nice engine), or an unmodified LA 46 and swap it in.  These two can be run in a wet 2-stroke and work great as stunt engines if you use the right prop and venturi.  Both will bolt right in.  A Magnum 36 (unmodified!!) is a nice engine, too, but it has a different bolt pattern.
AMA 64232

Offline David Fountain

• New Pilot
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2015, 11:07:11 AM »
The mods weren't done by me and before I bolt it in, it's going on my stand for some test runs. The mods were done to the boost port however I goofed and forgot the engine I have was the Iron piston version and not the ABN and didn't spot it until I had the new/used P/C set and tore it down  HB~> so my main concern right now is balance, The parts will interchange with no problem and while the Crank seems to have the same part number I'm still concerned with excessive vibration.
(David)

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here