News:

• March 28, 2024, 04:47:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Getting Started  (Read 1887 times)

Offline Bruce Guertin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Getting Started
« on: May 08, 2019, 06:53:33 PM »
When I was twelve in 1961 I had a Detroit News paper route. Half the boys in that delivery station it seemed flew control line. They lead me to Wayne Hobby in Wayne, Michigan about a 30 minute bike ride from the house. All my paper route money somehow ended up in Joe Hass' cash register.

Being raised as a free range kid I was able to get up there a lot.

Bruce Guertin

AMA 12403

Easily distracted by bright shiny objects

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Getting Started
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 11:03:51 AM »
Can't believe I used to ride my bike from where I lived in Bethel KS., to the hardware store in Welborn, KS.  Never timed how long it took.  He had the Scientific kits.   D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Terrence Durrill

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 02:35:39 PM »
When I was twelve in 1961 I had a Detroit News paper route. Half the boys in that delivery station it seemed flew control line. They lead me to Wayne Hobby in Wayne, Michigan about a 30 minute bike ride from the house. All my paper route money somehow ended up in Joe Hass' cash register.

Being raised as a free range kid I was able to get up there a lot.

Times sure were different in the "old days" when were "free range kids".   For me that was the 1950's and I was 14 years old.  I remember that I had just bought a Veco Smoothie, my first full bodied stunter, and was working on it at home one summer day.  I ran out of Ambroid and some there were some other things that I needed from the hobby shop.  Patience was not a word in my vocabulary.  The only thing was that I lived in Green Ridge, Missouri and the hobby shop was in Sedalia, Missouri.........12 miles away.  Both of my parents worked and I obviously did not have access to a car ............. or even a bike at the time, so I called up a modeling friend and we walked to Sedalia (12 miles), purchased the modeling supplies and then............walked back to Green Ridge ....... another 12 mile hike ..... it was a 24 mile hike that day for us so we could get on with our modeling activities.  For a U.S. Marine, that walk would be just a walk in the park ...... but we were not U.S. Marines and our feet hurt.  I think we all pushed the limits in those days when we were "free ranging" kids.  Yes, paper routes and model airplanes......that's another story that I remember well.  ......   D>K  ......   H^^

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2022, 06:02:32 PM »
Can't believe I used to ride my bike from where I lived in Bethel KS., to the hardware store in Welborn, KS.  Never timed how long it took.  He had the Scientific kits.   D>K

Doc, that is why you are still around to brag about your childhood successes.

Bingo!
phil Cartier

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here