News:

• March 28, 2024, 11:34:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Father flew C/L in 1965-70 in Tucson, AZ and local flyers in Northern VA  (Read 2446 times)

Offline Gray Ghost

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
  • Michael Higgins
My father flew C/L Stunt with Ted Snow and others in Tucson back in the mid to late '60s.  However, it wasn't till much later that a group of guys invited me to fly C/L with them while living in Fairfax, VA.

My 1st plane was a P51 Mustang OTS kit (built a few) followed by a SIG Twister.  One year later I took 1st in Beginner Stunt in NC, and the following year 2nd in Beginner Stunt at the AMA Nationals '97.

It's been a long time since I've flown.  Finally getting back into it in 2019 with the North Alabama Control-Line Association.  I am looking forward to flying my SIG Banshee and building new models soon!

Mike

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Father flew C/L in 1965-70 in Tucson, AZ and local flyers in Northern VA
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2018, 08:03:43 PM »
Well welcome back and remember to keep it fun.  Once in a while when things don't go right, I have to remind myself this is supposed to be fun. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Gray Ghost

• New Pilot
  • Michael Higgins
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 04:00:51 PM »
Thanks John.  Looking forward to building my first biplane - perhaps a 38 Special.  My #1 question is "How do you cover the wings on the biplane around the struts?" LOL

It's definitely a fun hobby :-)  It was a sad day when my SIG Twister became a "lawn dart" after making the mistake of using old cables that had corroded and broke, etc.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 09:23:44 AM »
Cover the bottom wing on top surface first.  I know its backwards and you want to be able to lock the struts to the ribs and fuse.   Top wing cover bottom first for same reason as bottom wing.   I have a 38 Special I need to get out and fly more often.  Power on mine is LA 40 and flies better than I do. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 12:52:47 PM »
Ditto to what Ty said.  I sent you a PM.  Hope to see you soon.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 03:22:05 PM »
My father flew C/L Stunt with Ted Snow and others in Tucson back in the mid to late '60s.  However, it wasn't till much later that a group of guys invited me to fly C/L with them while living in Fairfax, VA.

My 1st plane was a P51 Mustang OTS kit (built a few) followed by a SIG Twister.  One year later I took 1st in Beginner Stunt in NC, and the following year 2nd in Beginner Stunt at the AMA Nationals '97.

It's been a long time since I've flown.  Finally getting back into it in 2019 with the North Alabama Control-Line Association.  I am looking forward to flying my SIG Banshee and building new models soon!

Mike
Mike:
I am trying to rebuild my early years in Stunt.  I was out for enough years that I have forgotten most of the names.  You mentioned Fairfax, VA.  That is where I learned to fly stunt.  It was 1959-61 while my dad was at the Pentagon.  I was 12 so most of them would probably remember me as a pain in the A** if at all.  That may not be your time frame but I would appreciate any names of folks that may be able to help me find out who the better fliers were there.  I am sure the club is long gone.

Thanks - Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here