News:

• March 28, 2024, 10:03:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dec 7, 1956 Jax Florida  (Read 3186 times)

Offline BillP

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Dec 7, 1956 Jax Florida
« on: March 03, 2021, 07:00:23 AM »
8th birthday Jax Florida 1956...Ringmaster Jr and Fox 15 was a birthday present. Dad built it and took me to Craig Field airport to fly the first time. Neither of us had flown before and someone helped me with the first flight. After that my dad built a Ringmaster Sr with Fox 35. We flew most of the time near the Southside Shopping Center on Beach Blvd. There was a club named the Southside Winders that flew there too. I still have the Fox 15 and Fox 35 engines and fly the 35 in a Brodak Super Clown.
Bill P.

Offline doug coursey

• Commander
Re: Dec 7, 1956 Jax Florida
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2021, 09:16:01 AM »
we started in Miami in the 50's and 60's..we flew in all the King Orange contests they had at the time. i flew all kinds of control line stunt,combat,rat race,speed and some free flight and hand launch gliders at contests.
AMA 21449

Offline John Carrodus

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2022, 04:39:52 PM »
1964,10 years old. A teacher at school was a control line nutter who built planes in his classroom and was building a Nobler which absolutely blew our minds as kids - we'd never seen a model plane that was sooooo big! One day he flew one kids Cox trainer, the blue one, twin seater two pilots. I was besotted. Shortly afterwards joined the Papatoetoe ( papa= earth, toetoe,= feather like white tall flower.) Model Aircraft Club and learned to fly a Showman 1.5cc deisel powered  club trainer by a tall long haired skinny guy who may have been an escaped hippy. Anyways , he was a good instructor and soon my mates and I were keen builders and fairly wrecklee fliers at tyhe local park on weekends and after school. Then we drifted away and I have recently returned when I retired. Loving it.

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2022, 10:32:57 PM »
1949 -> late 50's.
Anyone remember White Planes, NY: Westchester Hobbies and Wykagyl Hobbies near New Rochelle,NY? Worked at Wykagl for about a year.  "Maybe" Bob Zambelli??
True Hobby Shops as they were way back then.
Bought my Firebaby's,Trixter BC, Barnstormers, Sterling Ringmasters and P-51, Veco
Chief, Wee Duper Zilch and others plus my Fox's, other engines, fuel ,lines handles etc at either of these two stores.  Also some Mail Orders or rare visit to American Hobby Center.
Don't think the equivalent exists any where today!!!!!
  y1 Yes! I am that old!
Roger Vizioli    AMA  L-2408
Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here