News:

• September 20, 2024, 07:31:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Back into the hobby (again)  (Read 1244 times)

Offline Richard Wills

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Back into the hobby (again)
« on: August 15, 2024, 01:45:32 AM »
After (another) 10 year absence, I'm getting back into the hobby. Enjoyed it immensely in my 20's and early 30's...then stopped to raise a family...had a pit stop 10 years ago to try and get my boys into it (didn't work)...now they are out of the house and I am looking at getting back into it as I approach my late 50's. All my old planes and equipment are long gone but it appears much has changed anyway. I went into my LHS and was taken aback...no kits and not really many planes to choose from and all are RTF, ARF, or BNF...and a pretty sparse selection to boot. The old LHS owner retired and it appears the new owner has gravitated toward RC cars...nothing wrong with that but just not my thing.
Saddened, I stumbled out of the store in a daze and went home to my computer and started googling. My old club happened to have a 'trainer night" last evening so I went out just to get a feel for where things are in the hobby. A gentlemen offered to take me up on a buddy box but after hearing of my experience, he let me take solo control and I was able to take off, fly around for 5 minutes, and land without issue. Whew, at least I can still manage a high wing trainer :-)
After some further googling, and absorbing some knowledge from the gentlemen at the field, I decided I would proceed with electric flight (at least initially). The technology has obviously improved dramatically in the last 10 years. So, I just ordered a RTF (my first)...a Cirrus SR22 V2 1.4m RTF (https://www.dynamrc.com/products/sr22-v2-trainer-yellow-scale-dy8936yl)from an online retailer (would have used the LHS but they didn't have one...sadly). The guys at the field suggested the Apprentice as a good re-entry into the hobby but I know I'll get bored with whatever "safe" plane I purchase and I kind of wanted a 'tail dragger' just for the sheer fun of take offs :-)
Anyway, I'm excited to get back into the hobby and eager to learn what all the new technology brings. I don't care for all the SAFE this and that but maybe it's not a bad thing. What I would like to learn is how to move to electric from gas/nitro. Seems like it's not as simple as stabbing an electric motor where the engine would have been.
Is everyone just buying RTF's and BNF's these days? Is everything foam? I would love to put a good electric motor in an old Sig 4Star40 or similar and do some knife edges :-) I'm sure the answers are buried in the forum and I'll do my research...just looking for general advice on what everyone is doing these days and where I should spend my money and, more importantly, where I shouldn't.
Thanks for any and all advice!!

Online Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
Re: Back into the hobby (again)
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2024, 07:20:49 AM »
Not sure you will get a lot of help here. This is mainly a Control Line forum. Sounds like you’re doing RC.
No RTF’s here unless you bought someone else’s built plane and definitely no foam planes but we do use at times foam wings covered with balsa sheets. 🤣

Now if you want a real challenge buy some balsa, get a set of plans and build a 40-60 size plane. Electric or Glow. Paint it to come out under 59.5oz. Do all your stunts 60ft above the ground and land wheels down in 8 minutes. 🤣🤣🤣

Paul
AMA 842917

As my coach and mentor Jim Lynch use to say every time we flew together - “We are making memories

Tags: