News:

• March 28, 2024, 05:09:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1961  (Read 4222 times)

Offline WLGeorge

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
« on: August 07, 2014, 01:24:48 PM »
In 1961 I was 5 and was privileged enough to get to see Don Still fly in Beaumont Texas.  I can remember it to this day as I had never seen a model airplane before. My old uncle took me to see the airplanes and I was fascinated. I went home and tied two boards together and twirled them around and around in the cow pasture making motor noises.  My mother thought I was a wee bit touched in the head. My uncle bought me one of the little rubber wind up models that sold for a nickel and I chased it all over the cow pasture.  Even the cows thought I was a bit strange. When I was 8 my uncle ( love my old unk) brought me a bright orange Cosmic Wind plastic control line flying model.  It was not the Cox version but I think it was powered by a McCoy engine.  Flew the wings off of it.  When I was 11 I discovered balsa wood.  Life has never been the same since.  The not too local hobby shop was ran by Don Still (still is) and he has been a wellspring of information thru the years.  Just about the time I think I have picked his brains clean of information he teases me with another tidbit of information.  The first stunt plane I built at age 12/13was a rather crude copy of the Don Still Stuka Stunt.  Still have it.  Love that airplane.  There have been others but I keep going back to the Stuka and the Barnstormer mark 2.  Both equally good..  I am going to try to attach a photo of an original Still built Stuka Stunt with a Still Victory in the background.

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
Re: 1961
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 10:04:08 PM »
outstanding story! thanks for sharing. is that photo taken at the hobby shop? also, a pic of your Stuka and Barnstormer would be appreciated!

Offline WLGeorge

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 08:38:06 AM »
The picture is of the planes built by Don Still and they hang in his store at the present time.  They have been refinished a time or two I think and now wear mono coat on the wings.  The Stuka was last flown a few years ago at a local meet that I attended.  I think it is the 58 or 59 version but I could be wrong.  Don was always tweeking them and even told me what he would do next if he would build another one but he doubted that he wold ever build another. Now that's a true pity.  I will be in his shop in a few days and will try to take a better picture.  As for my planes to tell the truth I am a little embarrassed by their appearance.  Allergies to paints have left few options except mono coat.  I do have a video of a Barnstormer mk2 on YouTube but the sad fact is I didn't even build that one.  Flies great but the video does not represent my best flying skills either.  I will post pictures soon

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 09:19:06 AM »
Thanks for a great story.  Also you are so lucky to know personally one of the greats in this stunt world. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here