News:

• April 18, 2024, 07:44:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Worse than hinging!!  (Read 1385 times)

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Worse than hinging!!
« on: May 08, 2023, 03:01:55 PM »
I am in the process of assembling my new electric Barnstormer and have found something that is worse than doing hinging - wiring!!! What a pain in the As* this is. Fitting these components into the nose is the preverbal 5 lbs of sh*t into a 1 lb bag. I am at the point where the motor, ESC, Timer and ON/OFF switch is in but getting the battery and connector to fit is like a nightmare in a spaghetti factory. During the build I thought I had it fairly well laid out but when you really start hooking it up space seems to get very small. I hope I can get this last step done soon so I can get it in the air.

Best,    DennisT

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Worse than hinging!!
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2023, 03:10:20 PM »
I feel your pain.  I'm on my second slime-to-electric conversion.  I thought this would be just fine because I'm doing the conversion before the fuse is done.  But -- noooooooo!

The next one is going to be an inch wider at least, or I'm going to build a box with the entire electric system assembled, then decide how wide the fuselage will be.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2023, 06:06:15 PM »
I feel your pain.  I'm on my second slime-to-electric conversion.  I thought this would be just fine because I'm doing the conversion before the fuse is done.  But -- noooooooo!

The next one is going to be an inch wider at least, or I'm going to build a box with the entire electric system assembled, then decide how wide the fuselage will be.
That is the only way to go! 

It certainly fits the definition of a Blivit.  Those damn wires are an inch too short or an inch too long or both. The connectors don't bend, and it is always on the wrong side.  The battery only fits backwards and won't reach the ESC and the timer is so deep in the bowels that you can't get to the connectors to program it.  And all of those air vents and scoops are so blocked that you might as well just cover them.  Then one day you get the last of it to fit, close the cowl and it was all worth it and even better, you still have hinging to look forward to!

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2023, 06:10:21 PM »
... and even better, you still have hinging to look forward to!

I hinge really early in the build process, then cover, paint, and say "where the heck were those slots?"
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2023, 10:56:32 PM »

Apparently the workers confused the wiring with spaggetti , on the early 74 SS Duke. 750's . Tho it mightve been the lunch .

Offline spare_parts

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2023, 07:16:07 AM »
I'd remove any excess wiring length. I've had several RC models with the the ESC soldered directly to the motor. Of course this requires being confident in soldering. Motor leads need special attention if they run the winding wires out directly.

If you like canned spaghetti, look at an F5_ model. https://www.powerboats.cz/f5b-f5f/modely/backfire-f5f-radovan

Greg

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2023, 08:48:07 AM »
It's no worse than trying to fit and plumb a fuel tank and worry if the finish is fuel proof!   LL~
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2023, 09:00:41 AM »
Day two of wiring and after trying several cutoff switches and various wire lengths and new access holes I think it will now fit. This is a take-a-part Barnstormer that I built two fuses for and finished the electric one first (looking back maybe should have done this the other way around). So we go with the plan A and get this ship in the air then do the other fuse.

Now once the electric's are in I hope the bolting up of the wing/tail/rubber go smooth like they did in the dry fit during the build.

Best,   DennisT

Offline Bob Hudak

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2023, 11:47:43 AM »
Just when you get it all nice and fit the battery manufacturer will quit making the lipo you built the plane around.

Online Dave Rigotti

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • "Electric...The future of anytime stunt"
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2023, 12:00:00 PM »
"Let it go Bob...."  y1

Just when you get it all nice and fit the battery manufacturer will quit making the lipo you built the plane around.
Dave Rigotti
AMA 66859
Chesterland, Ohio

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2023, 04:42:49 PM »
OK, finally got the wirers, switch, battery, esc and timer to fit and be replaced in the field. Needed to add a hole through the firewall former. This allows the wires to loop back and through the hole and the battery sits flat with two Velcro straps with an additional Velco pad on the floor plate to secure for-aft movement of the pack. With this arrangement I can even get an 5S 1800mah pack if needed but the 5S-1600 seems to be enough and is about 1/2oz lighter.

Now got to get the rest of the stuff installed.

Best,    DennisT

Offline Bob Hudak

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2023, 06:54:33 PM »
"Let it go Bob...."  y1
Dave, Just sayin'...

Offline Rusty

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2023, 08:33:17 AM »
A guy at the club meeting yesterday was upset that his LIPO battery caught fire while charging it and could have burned down his garage.  He was previously a glow engine guy.   I suggested that may be a reason to not leave glow.   You never know when the battery is going to catch fire.  I have seen 2 vehicles burned up because the battery caught fire and he was using the car battery to power the charger.  I have seen 1 plane catch the woods on fire from a crash and 1 plane catch fire in the air. 

Fitting the parts in the fuselage should be least of your worries.

Rusty

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2023, 08:38:45 AM »
I am willing to be that the batteries were either old, damaged or on fast charge. 

Ken

AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2023, 01:21:30 PM »
A guy at the club meeting yesterday was upset that his LIPO battery caught fire while charging it and could have burned down his garage.  He was previously a glow engine guy.   I suggested that may be a reason to not leave glow.   You never know when the battery is going to catch fire.  I have seen 2 vehicles burned up because the battery caught fire and he was using the car battery to power the charger.  I have seen 1 plane catch the woods on fire from a crash and 1 plane catch fire in the air. 

Fitting the parts in the fuselage should be least of your worries.

Rusty
Makes me want to rush out and buy an electric car with 500 lbs of batteries!   LL~
John Rist
AMA 56277

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here