News:

• March 28, 2024, 11:53:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Working on my next E-Cavalier  (Read 3024 times)

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Working on my next E-Cavalier
« on: September 09, 2021, 06:48:31 PM »
This will be my 4th E-Cavalier.  My first one came from Tom's Building Service (Tom Morris).  I flew it in the ground twice and now it has a warped wing do to repair.  Still flies but not the best.   Second E-Cavalier came from Ty.  I flew it into the ground destroying it beyond repair.  Third E-Cavalier was also built by Ty.  A real hanger Quine.  Had to recover it however it was a good flyer till I managed to put in in the ground.   Learning the pattern by an old man is rough on airplanes.  Built a new front end for the fuselage.  It is now a great flying airplane.  Anyway I felt that I have progressed far enough along in my flying ability that I wanted a 4th Cavalier.  This one also came from Tom's Building Service.  It came as partially built kit.  Wing, elevator, rudder, and fuselage were built.  I will have to install the two control horns and assemble every thing.  I will also have to make the fillets for the transition between the elevator / ailerons and the fuselage.  I will use the landing gears and all of the electronics from E-Cavalier #1.  I have ordered the control horns and push rod from Okie Air.  So lots of fun to finish this one.  Looking forward to having a Tom Morris built bird that is straight and light.

As pictured is what I received from Tom.   PS Ty is the one that made the trip to Tom's home and found this great looking bird for me.  Thanks Ty for the great find.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 09:10:18 AM by John Rist »
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
Re: Working on my next E-Cavalier
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2021, 07:04:54 PM »
Nice!
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2021, 08:46:48 AM »
John,
What power package are you going to use with this ship?

Best,   DennisT

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2021, 09:07:35 AM »
John,
What power package are you going to use with this ship?

Best,   DennisT
Dennis, I will be using the package out of Cavalier #1 that has worked great so far.

Motor: Cobra 2820-12 KV 970
Timer:   KR
ESC:    Turnigy Plush 60A  (Now will be a 40A unit)
Prop:  APC 12 x 6 EP  cut down to 11 1/2
Battery:   TP Prolite P/N TP2800-4SPH25
« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 10:17:30 PM by John Rist »
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2021, 10:16:15 PM »
Just ran a static run amp test and found that I have a 35 amp draw for this setup.  I just ordered a  Turnigy Plush 40A ESC to take the place of the 60A unit.  Save a little weight and the smaller size will require less modifications to shoehorn it in.   D>K
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2021, 07:49:30 AM »
John,
With the Cavalier you might try clipping the prop to 11" as this ship flies really well with a 10x6 on a Fox 35. I have seen John Simpson fly his at KOI with a standard Fox 35, ABC Fox 35 and he won easily. The ship is a great ship and going to the smaller diameter will keep the turns crisp. It will also reduce amps and could get you down to a 2200 mah pack. I did this on my Still Stuka, the 2200 pack was around 1 1/2oz. lighter. I didn't think I would feel any difference since the Stuka got through the pattern with the 2800's. Boy was I surprised. That change made a big difference in how it got through the vertical 8's and squares.

Best,  DennisT

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2021, 11:05:06 AM »
John,
With the Cavalier you might try clipping the prop to 11" as this ship flies really well with a 10x6 on a Fox 35. I have seen John Simpson fly his at KOI with a standard Fox 35, ABC Fox 35 and he won easily. The ship is a great ship and going to the smaller diameter will keep the turns crisp. It will also reduce amps and could get you down to a 2200 mah pack. I did this on my Still Stuka, the 2200 pack was around 1 1/2oz. lighter. I didn't think I would feel any difference since the Stuka got through the pattern with the 2800's. Boy was I surprised. That change made a big difference in how it got through the vertical 8's and squares.

Best,  DennisT
I second the prop clipping.  I ran that motor on two ships nearly the same size and was able to use the 2200 packs.  Not as much left over but within limits.  No sag on OH8 and clover and that 1 1/2 out of the nose was another 1 1/2 out of the tail!  Keep the 2800's around for those dead calm days that suck batteries dry.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2021, 01:20:47 PM »
Do what I did/doing.

Don't practice the pattern. Practice each individual maneuver first until you have confidence in them.

Eventually, you can combine the maneuvers.

Keep in mind, if you screw up, end where you are, do a few laps to calm down, then, if you choose, you can get back into the pattern, or not.

I can do some individual maneuvers but I cannot do a complete pattern yet. I don't fly enough and I'm in no hurry. Plus, you really have to have the interest.

BTW. You can also view them as "pattern manures."

Scare the crap out of you.

Funny! The "Jet" giving advice on flying.  LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

CB

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2021, 01:16:39 PM »
Waiting on parts from Okie Air to finish my E-Cavalier.  It's been 3 weeks since I ordered.  They don't seem to answer the phone.  Are they always this slooooow?   ???
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2021, 01:43:28 PM »
Waiting on parts from Okie Air to finish my E-Cavalier.  It's been 3 weeks since I ordered.  They don't seem to answer the phone.  Are they always this slooooow?   ???
Only 3 weeks?
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2021, 06:13:50 PM »
Okie Air just shipped my parts.  Actually not a bad shipping time considering there were some custom built  part in the shipment.  All is good!  :)  Will post pictures as progress is made.

John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Mark wood

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
  • I'm here purely for the fun of it.
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2021, 07:57:12 PM »

Yes, I have gotten worried about the delay before. Russ is a super nice guy but you have to plan ahead when you're wanting things from him.
Life is good AMA 1488
Why do we fly? We are practicing, you might say, what it means to be alive...  -Richard Bach
“Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.” – Richard P. Feynman

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2021, 01:05:52 PM »
Well my parts came in from Okie Air.  They look GREAT!  One big surprise, (a good surprise), the 62' custom lines came color coded for up and down.  Now I have no excuse for not pushing this project forward.   #^
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2021, 06:41:24 PM »
Well I have the allerion control horn built.  Turns out it twernt easy.  n~  The problem was that the one of the bends was 1" from the control arm.  The 1/8 music wire has been annealed where the control arm is silver soldered in place.  When trying to bend this joint it kept bending in the wrong place.  I finally got it so bent out of shape I decided to start over.  Fortunately I have good silver solder skills.  I removed the control arm from the old 1/8 music wire.  I then got a new piece of 1/8 music wire.  I pre bent one end to 90 deg.  I then silver soldered the control arm 1" from the bend.  The other end, being longer, was easy to bend.  Photo shows the finished product.  Being able to solve a problem and create something is part of the fun of this hobby.   y1
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2021, 07:56:35 PM »
I now have the elevator control horn built.   It had the same problem with this one as the allerion control horn.   Once again I found it impossible to bend the 1/8" wire that close to the control arm.  So I bent a piece of 1/8" music wire to 90 degrees and then silver soldered the control arm in place.   y1
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Mark wood

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2021, 05:33:58 AM »
It seems like most of the experienced guys are using drill rod for their control horns. Igor is using what looks to be simple welding rod which is copper plated and won't experience as much trouble with corrosion. I have both. When you silver solder you remove the heat treatment of the music wire so it makes sense to work with the not tempered materials up front.
Life is good AMA 1488
Why do we fly? We are practicing, you might say, what it means to be alive...  -Richard Bach
“Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.” – Richard P. Feynman

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2021, 09:03:07 AM »
It seems like most of the experienced guys are using drill rod for their control horns. Igor is using what looks to be simple welding rod which is copper plated and won't experience as much trouble with corrosion. I have both. When you silver solder you remove the heat treatment of the music wire so it makes sense to work with the not tempered materials up front.
I was of the same opinion.  What is the best not tempered alternate to music wire and where can I buy some?   D>K
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Mark wood

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2021, 04:00:31 PM »
I was of the same opinion.  What is the best not tempered alternate to music wire and where can I buy some?   D>K

Drill rod is available from many sources including amazon, Grainger, McMaster, zoro etc. I think the preferred is water hardening but I don't think it really makes a difference. Bonus it is close tolerances so it makes great pins and guides and such. I have a whole stock pile of it in various sizes.
Life is good AMA 1488

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2021, 04:49:16 PM »
It may not be the best but Lowes sells 1/8" solderable steel wire that is easy to bend in their metal strips section.  I have used it on three planes for both LG and controls with -0- problems.

Ken

AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2021, 11:25:48 PM »
Drill rod is available from many sources including amazon, Grainger, McMaster, zoro etc. I think the preferred is water hardening but I don't think it really makes a difference. Bonus it is close tolerances so it makes great pins and guides and such. I have a whole stock pile of it in various sizes.

A2 - air hardened - drill rod is the material that has been recommended.
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2021, 07:18:45 PM »
I just had a thought (and it didn't even hurt).  I may leave this one in clear dope.  Put a decal on the out board wing and call it done.  I think it looks cool and is lighter.  As an electric it doesn't need fuel proofing.   8)
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Mark wood

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2021, 06:56:59 AM »
I just had a thought (and it didn't even hurt).  I may leave this one in clear dope.  Put a decal on the out board wing and call it done.  I think it looks cool and is lighter.  As an electric it doesn't need fuel proofing.   8)

Oh yeah. Are you using nitrate or butyrate? Doesn't really matter but you can tint your dope with aniline dyes such as Transtint, a favorite of luthiers. It's my favorite method.
Life is good AMA 1488

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2021, 09:24:44 AM »
Oh yeah. Are you using nitrate or butyrate? Doesn't really matter but you can tint your dope with aniline dyes such as Transtint, a favorite of luthiers. It's my favorite method.
Good ideal however too late.  The plane came covered and doped from Tom Morris.  However the fuselage is unpainted.  So I will give it more thought.    D>K
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Mark wood

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2021, 10:12:34 AM »
Good ideal however too late.  The plane came covered and doped from Tom Morris.  However the fuselage is unpainted.  So I will give it more thought.    D>K

It's not too late. The only thing you'd need to do is use the same dope Tom did. Transtint will work with butyrate dope.

I generally put a couple coats of clear dope on first, then I follow up with tinted dope and put as many coats as it takes to get the color I am looking for. On the pictured Smoothie, all of the paint is nitrate dope. There are two clear coats on every thing which is then lightly sanded. I masked the fuselage off and used aluminum paste in the nitrate to paint the silver color base. After getting a good base of silver, I unmasked and then proceeded to add another coat of tinted dope, actually two and it will get one more to get better uniformity over the whole airplane including the fuselage.

I started off with the idea of making the airplane look like a classic electric guitar with the flame transition from black cherry to amber. However the silver under the amber color didn't come out the way I was wanting so, I'm currently not certain which way I am going to go. Most likely finish it as is and then apply vinyl trim in places.

Life is good AMA 1488

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2021, 02:48:21 PM »
Squaring up the wing.  Have to take care of wife's counter top if I ever want to use it in the future!   LL~
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2021, 03:54:11 PM »
And squaring up the stabilizer.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2021, 03:58:49 PM »
Squaring up the wing.  Have to take care of wife's counter top if I ever want to use it in the future!   LL~
I would have to "take care" of my wife if I were to ever get to use any piece of furniture in the house!
The last time I built in the house was *the last* time I built in the house. LL~

Ken

ps - nice plane, I love the Cavalier.
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2021, 02:07:07 PM »
Well it's ready to paint.  Changed my mind about leaving it unpainted.  I will go with a red white and blue American Flag theme. Krylon will be the paint of choice. 
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2021, 02:38:37 PM »
Computer generated templet to install stars for the Betsey Ross flag paint theme.  1" stars came from Ebay.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2021, 02:40:26 PM »
Ready for first flight.    #^
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Mark wood

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2021, 08:46:09 PM »
Way cool. I like it..
Life is good AMA 1488

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2021, 10:58:34 AM »
First flight today.  This is the best flying airplane I have ever flown.  Good line tension.  Wings were level and she goes where you point her.  Landing was smooth with no bounce.  Only problem was it turned in toward me on the roll out after landing.  I will tweak the tail wheel before next flight.  I am sure part of the reason this ship flies better than my older Cavalier is because it is lighter.  Ready to launch it weighs 44 oz.  My other one weighs 50 oz for a difference of 6 oz.   I was a little under the weather so I only put in one flight.   #^
John Rist
AMA 56277

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here