News:

• May 30, 2024, 07:23:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wooden Propellers for Electric?  (Read 1012 times)

Offline John Hammonds

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Wooden Propellers for Electric?
« on: August 17, 2012, 05:26:55 PM »
Hi All,
 Came across these Wooden Props designed specifically for Electric.
http://www.modelaccessories.co.uk/propellers/wooden-electric-flight-propellers.html

(They also seem to be available from various outlets in the US as well).

Anyone tried them? How do they compare with APC? they seem quite light (21gm for a 12*6).

I've bought a few in the same sizes as the APC's I currently use for comparison.

Just wondered if anyone had any experience with them and were they any good?

No pusher variants that I can find unfortunately. :(

TTFN
John.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.....
Fast, Cheap, Reliable - Choose any 2!
BMFA 165249

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
Re: Wooden Propellers for Electric?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 12:15:55 AM »
Hi John,

Those props look very much like the JFX and XOAR wood props for electric. I've used the XOAR props and they work very well, so I reckon those props will be just fine. It is a pity about the lack of pusher props in the range but pusher props are not always necessary if the model is trimmed properly and has no funnies in the hourglass. Just look at how many of the top competitors are using tractor props. The pusher is a nice to have sort of thing and if I had the option I would prefer to use one, but as I say, it's not the be-all and end-all. Please post your results after you've tested those props. Thanks.

Keith R
Keith R

Offline Darkstar1

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 11:11:14 AM »
All,
Try this site they have pushers in the size and pitch range most would desire. And their selling carbon props for electrics. I haven't gotten the latest shipment yet (On a real slow boat from China!) But I have used the wooden ones and they seem to work just fine! The carbon props they sell in pairs, one for each rotation so U can try them side by side.
 <= <= <=

http://www.himodel.com/sort.php?sub2=C0
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 06:07:00 AM by darkstar1 »
Later,
Evolve or get left behind!

Offline Darkstar1

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 03:41:35 PM »
Well props just got here today off that slow boat!
Anyway, lets start off with the wood & carbon props. The bottom one is 8 x 4.5 pusher. Except for the wood props
Every prop has a tractor twin. The small prop has a carbon/plastic mix. To be used for my Ring Rat planes.
The 10x4.5 prop is fully carbon I would use for small classic models. The 13x4.5 is also carbon and seems to be an exact match of the original thin hub APC. The 14x.4 wood props have a thin hub that suits the electric motors well. I have used these before in smaller sizes and like everything else if its right It's awesome! The red 3 blade are 7x3
and 8x3's also for my ring rats. If the weather holds up I will try them this weekend and we'll see.
Later,

Offline John Hammonds

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 04:40:42 PM »
Hi Keith,
 Thanks for the reply. Yes I'll be sure to do some comparisons with the APC Thin Electric equivalents I have previously been running and report findings. What kind of info would be useful. Static Amp draw at various RPM's, overall "feel" in Flight, Mah used for a full pattern? Anything else?

Hi Darkstar1,
 That's a good selection, I tried a practice run on a few props but when I hit the checkout the shipping charges were scary (At least to the UK). :(

Having said that your "Slow Boat from China" has beaten my even slower truck from the North of England.  ???
Hopefully they will arrive in the next few days and I can see how they perform over the coming weekend.

TTFN
John.

I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.....
Fast, Cheap, Reliable - Choose any 2!
BMFA 165249

Offline Darkstar1

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 08:52:58 PM »
John
The slow boat from China option is the most economical. With that being said it nearly took three weeks
To compare I ordered parts for my Plettenberg straight from Germany and they got here in two weeks. And here's the kicker Icare a Pletty dealer in Canada. I ordered a rear mount conversion kit at the same time as the other Pletty parts. I haven't even seen a email saying whether they even have the parts or not. Looks I'll have to call
and find out directly.If not I guess I'll have to get them from the factory again.
Later,

Offline Darkstar1

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 12:11:43 PM »
John
 ICARE a Pletty dealer in Canada. I ordered a rear mount conversion kit at the same time as the other Pletty parts. I haven't even seen a email saying whether they even have the parts or not. Looks I'll have to call
and find out directly.If not I guess I'll have to get them from the factory again.

Oops!
Seems that they've added a online store since the last time I've done business there. I've ordered the part
It should be on the way soon. My bad!
Later,

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here