Electric Stunt > Gettin all AMP'ed up!

Wiring a Power System

<< < (2/3) > >>

Mike Foley:
  A lot of us flying electric RC are ditching the Deans in favor of Anderson Power Poles.  Much easier to disconnect and reconnect. The 30 Amp is the most common in use, housing size is the same as the 15 Amp.

http://www.powerwerx.com/product.asp?ProdID=3016&CtgID=3014

Ron King:

--- Quote from: Mike Foley on October 06, 2007, 11:03:04 AM ---  A lot of us flying electric RC are ditching the Deans in favor of Anderson Power Poles.  Much easier to disconnect and reconnect. The 30 Amp is the most common in use, housing size is the same as the 15 Amp.

--- End quote ---

The Power Poles are great connectors and we are using them in higher amperage situations with the UAVs. The manufacturer claims 30 amps, but we regularly use them in 60 - 100 amp (DC) applications with zero problems. They are easy to mount, and easier to connect/disconnect.

The downside is bulk. They are bulkier than the Deans plugs. This is no big deal in my RC and UAV stuff, but I'll have to see if they will work better for me now that I'm back flying a CLPA electric.

Ron

Douglas Ames:
One important note on soldering - Don't blow on the hot solder to cool it!, you'll end up with a cold joint. Always allow it to cool by itself.

Clancy Arnold:
Warning:  All solder is not the same!

Be sure you are using Tin Lead solder of the correct formulation.  You want either SN 60 / PB 40 (good) or SN63 / PB 37 (Best) Rosin Core.  Formulations like 50 / 50 or 40/60 are for high temperature applications and require excessive heat to melt.

The SN 63 / PB 37 solder is known as Eutectic Solder meaning that it goes from a liquid to a solid when cooling and does not go to a "plastic" stage where you can get  a disturbed or fractured solder joint.

If you are using one of the new non-lead solders you are on your own!

Clancy

Lionel Smith:
I have a few tips on using the Deans plugs as I have used them for a long time in RC cars and RC planes.

Firstly when soldering them plug them together, using a spare male/female depending which side you are soldering, this keeps them in alignment so they will plug in and out with ease.

Secondly, a trick I found in a UK model mag, drill a small hole in each plug making sure that it is going through the plastic part only and not touching the metal connectors, then when you want to unplug them do so by using a cir-clip pliers, that way they come apart with ease and you dont end up ripping the electronics to pieces with stiff plugs.

Lionel.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version