News:

• May 02, 2024, 11:25:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Who will be the 1st to Put a Merlin in your ECL ?  (Read 1150 times)

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Who will be the 1st to Put a Merlin in your ECL ?
« on: November 25, 2007, 01:34:04 AM »
OK Guys,

Who will be the 1st to enter a contest with a Merlin in their ECL plane????

Cool Sound, only $32, 2" speaker (in the wing?), light wt.

Go Here for details and sound demo:

http://www.ramrcandramtrack.com/ramdemos/ram167/ram_167demo.html

The Radial Sound is also way cool. This would sound great in Will's Bomber!

Go Here to order from SIG @ $32  (From RAM they are $40):

http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmart.exe/MainMenuFV4.html?E+Sig

This project should be easy for you lucky guys that get to have a building season.  y1

« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 02:01:47 AM by Rudy Taube »
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Mike Palko

• Captain
Re: Who will be the 1st to Put a Merlin in your ECL ?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 09:59:31 AM »
Hi Rudy,
   I have thought about it many times, but haven't tried it yet. At this years NEAT Fair there was a P-47 Thunderbolt with a sound system in it. It was so spot on it was unbelievable! The RPM of the (fake) engine changed with the throttle input of the transmitter. In the air the doppler effect took over and we were looking in the sky for a real Thunderbolt.

I don't know what system he used, but I remember him saying it could produce sound as loud as 100DB. For a 150' dia. circle that is more than enough!

Mike

Alan Hahn

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 01:54:56 PM »
Since I have put in a couple of advanced flights with Russ Gifford as a judge  n1, I have been trying to figure out how to add a 4-2-4 sound to my electric. This is getting pretty close---but to demonstrate my obsessiveness, I would like the sound to break into a 2 stroke when it goes vertical. I think this would require a slightly smarter sound board and something to monitor either power or directionality.

But I guess I should just concentrate on getting the E-NoblerArf to fly better right now!  HB~>

Offline Mike Palko

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 02:01:29 PM »
Hi Alan,
   Say hi to Russ for me. ;D I now realize how much he "loves electric" after sitting with him at this years PAMPA banquet. He is a funny guy and we had a good time chatting. ;D I feel your pain having him as a judge on your electric flights.

Mike

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2007, 05:01:20 PM »
Hi Mike,

It is tempting isn't it?  y1

Last year someone sent me a link for an English site where the guy had a beautiful giant scale P-47 ERC with an awesome sound system. This may be the same guy you saw? The video showed the system with the cowl off.  It looked like the two speakers were about 5" each. It had an amp. etc. I think he said it cost around $200. It was hooked to his TH servo. At idle, the sound was of a LARGE radial engine with a typical very rough idle, then increased smoothly during the TO. Just like you said, it sounded like a real P-47. In flight it was like someone turned back the clock to 1944 England!

I don't think this $32 system will be as good, but with the very small area we fly in, maybe it would still work well? 100 db is LOUD. My guess is that we could get by with a little less. ;-)

I will keep you posted with the results of my P-40s "Merlin" installation, when it gets here.  :!
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline pete beddows

• Ensign
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 10:32:31 AM »
Hi the sound system that you heard are sold on your side of the pond by aerosound rc the weight might be a problem i think its about 8 oz
thats all pete.

Offline Dave Nyce

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • Hooters restaurant on Oahu
    • Revolution Sensor Company
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 05:22:07 PM »
Hi Alan.  Analog Devices makes some relatively inexpensive accelermometers. One of those could be used as the sensor to control the 4-2-4 breaks.  A +/- 5g accelerometer should handle it.  The ADXL320 is about $8 at Digikey.  The page at Analog Devices is :

http://www.analog.com/en/prod/0,,764_800_ADXL320%2C00.html

Dave
Dave Nyce   New Bern, NC 
AMA: L356

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 06:34:02 AM »
Mike Palko...

Enjoyed your comments about my good friend Russ.  When Russ is preaching on the evils of electrics and ARFs, he's so funny and I laugh so hard, that I almost wish I could agree with him.  I'm very proud to say that I (through devious methods) was once able to trick Russ into flying an electric ARF.  Not sure he's completely forgiven me yet.  I just wish someone had taken a picture for proof.

Mike Gretz

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 06:30:47 PM »
heres a video about a giant scale P-47 with a sound system installed, is this the oneyour talking about?
http://media.putfile.com/Sound-equipped-81inch-P-47-Flight-1
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here