News:

• April 24, 2024, 11:29:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Electric motor direction  (Read 455 times)

Offline Ron Vargo

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Electric motor direction
« on: February 24, 2020, 07:06:39 AM »
Just getting back to cl stunt.  Gonna try electric.  Wondering why some guys are going clockwise while the other guys are going counterclockwise. I understand  clockwise would increase line tension   What’s the deal. Trim habits of either direction. I have seen many opinions on this forum just thought a few more may help me decide the direction that offers the best flight characteristics   Thx ron
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 07:35:12 AM by Ron Vargo »

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Electric motor direction
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2020, 08:52:30 AM »
You've probably picked up on this already, but if you just reverse prop direction and see immediate improvement, then it means your plane was out of trim, but doesn't necessarily mean you've found the better prop rotation direction.

If you're flying at a level high enough that prop rotation makes a difference, then you need to re-trim the airplane to the new prop rotation, so if you take a super-well trimmed plane and reverse the prop, the first thing it'll do is disappoint you.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Ron Vargo

• 21 supporter
  • New Pilot
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2020, 10:34:45 AM »
These answers are much appreciated. So like a lot of things in our hobby,pick the setup that works for you,trim accordingly and stick with it to gain consistency in your flight pattern.  Thx ron

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2020, 01:37:20 PM »
My first reaction was that I liked it running backwards.  One day after a couple hundred flights I chipped a prop and only had a normal one with me.  So I switched and the plane seemed to fly better.  Since then I have used tractor simply because you can get them easier.  I don't think it makes a flip of difference once the plane is trimmed.  Sometimes we confuse different with better.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Ron Vargo

• 21 supporter
  • New Pilot
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2020, 03:54:32 PM »
Couldn’t agree more....I am used to the flight characteristics of ic power. Also as you mentioned lots of availible props, most pre cut spinners are set up for that (could cut my own, but don’t mind pre cut) So I’m moving forward with my rsm blue max eternal with the large rsm competition power system to get me started back in stunt.

Thx ron

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here