News:

• April 27, 2024, 08:25:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Which CF Quadcopter props are being used?  (Read 1907 times)

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Which CF Quadcopter props are being used?
« on: August 27, 2014, 02:12:58 PM »
Guys,
Looking at the numerous sellers of CF Quadcopter prop set available its hard to know which ones are trusted for our use. Can those using them list the brand and seller for trusted props.

Thanks,      DennisT

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Which CF Quadcopter props are being used?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 08:50:21 PM »
I do not think any of the quadcopter props should be used.

APC has application data & critical speed guidelines for their gas, electric, quadcopter & slow flyer series props.  They clearly show their quad props should not be used for regular electric flight applications.  I trust APC data for THEIR props.  You can find that info here:

http://www.apcprop.com/v/html/rpm_limits.html

The Chinese props are much different than the APC's.  I have never seen any application data for the Chinese props.  What has been discovered is that they can fail in regular electric flight applications.

Matt Neuman showed me the Chinese CF quad props he was using, including the ones he has failed.  There is a lot of variation in structural features, and Matt is generating his own data through flight experience.  That's potentially risky but he is being methodical.
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Which CF Quadcopter props are being used?
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 08:03:23 AM »
Dennis,
Thanks for the information on the APC props. Looking at it there multi rotor props would be within rpm ranges that we would use for 5.5 - 6" pitch up to 12" diameters. The quadcopter carbon fiber props should match the APC's but since there are quite a few suppliers some may use weak resin. Seems the price range is all over and my gut says the lowest cost is likely not the best choice. From another thread it seems that the failures have been after a strike, which if that happens you would (or should) check the prop condition regardless of the material of construction.  To some degree you want the blade to break if it hits something. If the prop blades are to strong then the motor shaft could be damage (bent or set screws slip) which could be very costly. This all come down to common sense at the field, check the whole ship over before you fly looking for things that could be unsafe or result in an uncontrollable model, same as full size aircraft pilots do before they fly.

I hope Matt and others will post some information on the brands they are using.

Best,     DennisT

Advertise Here
Tags: props 

Advertise Here