News:

• April 27, 2024, 10:43:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What to do after a rain flight  (Read 932 times)

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
What to do after a rain flight
« on: September 14, 2023, 02:07:39 PM »
I just did something today that hasn't happened to me since 1978.  I flew an entire pattern in a downpour. Didn't plan it that way, things looked a long way off but on the 2nd lap of level flight the sky opened up.  Plane didn't seem to care, and I was already wet, so I just flew the pattern.

So, since I haven't done that in a couple of years and never with an electric, is there anything I should do afterwards?  I have spectra lines which better be water proof and if anyone is curious, they did not stretch or grab when wet.  What concerns me is the large front scoop and all the air passages in the fuselage with that big fan up front.  Are our electronics safe?

Anyway, it was fun and really cool to see the vortices!  I think I just found another reason to install a Key fob cutoff.

Ken

AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: What to do after a rain flight
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2023, 02:59:56 PM »
If it didn't die during the flight it is probably ok.  Big thing is to remove he battery as soon as possible after the flight.  The motor is fairly water proof. It should be ok.  The electronics doesn't like water and could be damaged.  The big thing is to let it dry out really well before you install the next battery.  Gentle heat from a hairdryer may be a good thing.  I would isolate the battery for a while in case it shorts out and catches on fire.  it depends on how clean the electronics was. That is, during the manufacturing process was all of the flux and dirt removed from the finished board. I doubt if any manufacture conformal coats a PCB as we did to military hardware when I was at work.  Water itself is not conductive.  It's dirty water that is conductive and can cause a short.  Good luck.  If you let it dry out before the next flight you should be OK.   D>K
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2023, 04:11:39 PM »
Thanks John.  I was really surprised that it did fly out the flight.  It was raining pretty hard from the outside loops on which is about half of the pattern.  I didn't fly again and it will have a couple of days to dry out before it gets power again.  The battery (li-ion 2600mah) recharged without a hitch.  Didn't think to let it dry out.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2023, 01:01:35 AM »
I doubt if any manufacture conformal coats a PCB as we did to military hardware when I was at work.

If you have Jeti Spin 66 from me, you can check marking on box which says "2x lak" that means it is twice coated against moisture. However it does not mean that nothing happen if shrink tube is filled with water. It is always good to shield from side of opening for motor cables from water, usually we seal it with silicone.

Motor is OK, it will run also submerged, but there is rusting iron  VD~ .. and of course timer has to be protected, it is not water proof.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2023, 08:03:41 AM »
Ken,
Perhaps when they got wet they hold more water then SS lines (especially with a few loop twists) and that throws off the tip weight balance causing the ship to roll in a tad. Glad to here it didn't fry anything, I have flow IC in the rain on several occasions and always worried that that one drop of water would find its way into the venturi and kill the engine going uphill, never did but always was a chance.

This is another good reason for us to have the option to shut down at will during a flight with something other than a 2.4Hz signal (like a simple limited range three button fob). I think being able to just have the system do on/full throttle/off would not be outside the current idea of having a positive timer shutoff and since it is an option guys could add it if they want or not (like with retract gear), no big flight advantage just safety.

Best,   DennisT

Offline Douglas Bykoff

• Ensign
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2023, 05:24:00 PM »
I built a device like this, which works at 433mhz and is located between the Timer and the ESC and which can turn off the engine in an emergency.

It works on any timer, Fiorotti, Burger, Rubin, KR, Climb an dive, etc.

We recently had 2 accidents with models completely destroyed when a bird attacked a model which caused it to fall and when a model suddenly turned on.

Just yesterday another bird attacked my model and collided with it, luckily the bird and the plane are fine.

I turned off the engine to see if there was any structural damage but all I found were marks from when my cat slept on the wing.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 07:15:59 PM by Douglas Bykoff »

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2023, 06:19:43 PM »
Two articles on how to build a cutoff switch.  One for KR timer that takes a slide switch and one for a Hubin timer that takes a push button switch.

https://stunthanger.com/smf/gettin-all-amp'ed-up!/remote-on-off-for-a-kr-timer/

https://stunthanger.com/smf/gettin-all-amp'ed-up!/remote-onoff-switch-for-the-hubin-timer/

D>K
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2023, 09:37:57 PM »
I would drop a little wd40 into the set screws on your motor. If you've ever seen a socket head rusted out you know what I mean.

MM 8)

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2023, 10:57:47 PM »
I would drop a little wd40 into the set screws on your motor. If you've ever seen a socket head rusted out you know what I mean.

MM 8)
I have and I did!  So far, no damage.  Just scared some sense into me and treated me to a hands-on demonstration of wet Spectra lines.  No, let me take that back, the rain totally wiped out all of my decals.  With electric I never bothered to clear coat them.  I thought they were waterproof and with no fuel....wrong.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2023, 10:53:49 AM »
John and Doug,
I still want to do the cutoff for the IC engines too. To start I am thinking that the 4 strokes seem to handle the carburetor pretty well and would be easy to start with using a small servo and key fob. Could do start at idle, full power, cut off would be ideal.

Best,     DennisT

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2023, 11:40:25 AM »
I have "phone" cut offs, it uses android and wifi connection, it can either hook signal from timer and cut off as necessary, or it can replace timer and control power by hand. Of course it is not so handy like standard 2 button door controls, so it is more for beginner and coach outside of circle (it is probably not c/l legal anyway). And of course it can be servo on carburator instead of ESC.

Offline Douglas Bykoff

• Ensign
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2023, 03:51:13 PM »
John and Doug,
I still want to do the cutoff for the IC engines too. To start I am thinking that the 4 strokes seem to handle the carburetor pretty well and would be easy to start with using a small servo and key fob. Could do start at idle, full power, cut off would be ideal.

Best,     DennisT

DENNIS

Any Timer can be used to turn off an IC motor.

The signal produced by the timer is perfectly compatible with RC servos.The only drawback is that you need an external battery to power the timer and the RC servo.

You will only need the battery, the servo and a Y cable used in RC.You connect the base to the Timer, one of the arms to the RC servo and the other to a 4.8v battery, being careful to observe the polarity.

I made a short video and posted it in another Topic where I connected an ESC together with the servo to show that the same signal generated by the timer both controls an ESC and also controls an RC servo.

In this video I used my RF Timer that I sell here in Brazil, which can be configured with 2 speeds in addition to motor cutoff.

https://youtu.be/iYnw5_tu97s?si=p9Ecgpy-Pgl1yDA_

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here